Thoracic Stenosis And Spondylosis Causing Pots?

zaks27

Hi all,

I have a question--has anyone been diagnosed as having thoracic stenosis and spondylosis and finding it as a cause of their POTS? I have severe mulilevel degeneration most severe between the T5 and T9 areas. I'm having nerve root compression symptoms (PAIN in surrounding soft tissue, chest pain), along with the POTS. Can this be the cause of my POTS? If those nerves are the ones that stimulate the heart, it would make sense to me. Any comments? I also have REALLY severe cervical stenosis and spondylosis that may be headed towards a discectomy and decompression. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon at the end of the month. I want to try everything possible before considering surgery. It seems that the occurance of full relief of symptoms is pretty illusive. 30% get better, 30% worse, and 30% stay the same. Again, anyone else in this place? Thanks so much for any input!!! It's really tough when there are so many overlapping symptoms.

A lot of us here seem to have spinal issues. Although this is probably a common complaint in the general population, so I don't know if it has anything to do with POTS. I have two herniated disks in my neck, degenerative disk disease, reversal of the curve in my neck (is this spondylosis?) and an osteophyte pushing on my spinal cord which compresses a nerve. One Dr. recommended surgery, two said I didn't need it -- so I'll go with them for now. I have wondered if it's related too because of all the nerve running through the spine (vagus nerve etc.). I think there is a reference to cervical stenosis being a possible cause of POTS in the Dinet "list of possible causes." Like you said -- there is so much overlap of symptoms, it's really hard to know.

I have cervical stenosis, as well. Last year when I got the diagnosis, I thought "this is it!". But, I have no idea if it is a cause or contributing to my POTS. You wanna be the guinea pig and have surgery to find out???? :P If it wasn't such serious surgery, I would fix it in a flash to see if it helped! But then again, serious or not, if I KNEW it was causing my POTS I'd have it in a minute--there's got to be a better life than sitting around the house day in and day out with POTS.

I guess I'll see what the neurosurgeon says in a few weeks. It's just so freakin' frustrating that I have this chronic and sometimes acute back pain now along with the dyautonomia symptoms. Plus the week, clumsy hand (I just dropped a full container of coffee all over everything) and numbness. I had a bone density scan today, and of course I had my usual dizziness, pre-syncope thing getting up off the scan table. The tech came running, thinking I was going to fall off the table. I told her this was a common thing and she looked at me like I had 3 heads. Grrr...so tired of this! If the surgeon thinks it may help--I probably will be a guinea pig for all of you. Seems my POTS started right around the time my back pain became more severe. I'm 58, and don't think the window is open much longer for a good surgical outcome--especially since my bone density is getting worse along with my rheumatoid arthritis (and I take daily predisone). I won't BE a surgical candidate much longer. I left a message for my doc today saying I want to try physical therapy. I had began the Bowen Technique massage last week and it made me hurt horribly. Would rather put my co-pay into PT. Sorry for the rant--I hurt and I'm tired (as usual...)