Do You Drink Tea?

sue1234

I was reading about theobromine today. It is something that is found in chocolate and tea leaves. It ends up causing vasodilation(peripherally, I think) and maybe cerebral vasoconstriction. As you can tell, I just have read enough to get my curiousity going. I do drink caffeinated tea daily, probably 24 oz. in two divided doses(morning and afternoon). I THOUGHT I was needing it to waken, etc. I ended up reading about it as I have an ever-growing problem of peripheral vasodilation.

Over the Christmas holidays, my cardio wanted me to go off caffeine. I did. I switched to decaf tea. For those few days, I went downhill cognitively and had NO energy. So, I went back onto caffeinated tea and perked right back up--literally.

So, now I see that going onto decaf tea may have caused more harm because I lost the vasoconstrictive properties of caffeine, and was left with the vasodilating properties of the theobromine. That's what I'm guessing at anyway.

Now I obviously need to do a test and get off ALL tea(and no coffee) and see if my vasodilation goes away. It would be soooo nice to get rid of it!

I've always limited my caffeine (well, after college) but had my daily iced latte from Starbucks. It has 3 espresso shots, about equal to a glass of coffee in caffeine. Occasionally, I'll have a Coke or Iced Tea.

I went off caffeine for one month (ironically, during December!) and was just grouchy and feeling worse. I missed my morning drink, and I really think it gave me a boost in the morning. The cardiologist said he wanted to see and if it was helping, go ahead and have it in moderation.

I'm thinking of switching to morning black tea instead of espresso for a while (or at least alternate). Interesting. I really do better with caffeine in the AM.

I alternate between caffiene flavored coffee-use a Kerig and tea. My Endocrinologist suggested at least a cup in the morning and if I feel sluggish in the afternoon, another cup. I do feel better with caffiene than without it. It definitely helps with keeping my pressure up. I say stay with caffiene beverages.:rolleyes:

I live for my cup of coffee in the morning. After that, I switch to decaf green tea for the rest of the morning. Nothing in the afternoon, just to make sure it doesn't interfere with my sleep, since I go to bed waaaay to early!

Okay, I am going to admit it here--I am an addict. I cannot give up my tea!! ***?? I try, and all I can do is see me spending a day all tired and no brain functioning going on. So, I just drink the darn tea anyway. I know the small amount of constrictive properties is what my body is looking for.

My husband just rolled his eyes when he asked me how my morning was going without my tea. I said I just can't do it. :rolleyes:

Okay, I am going to admit it here--I am an addict. I cannot give up my tea!! ***?? I try, and all I can do is see me spending a day all tired and no brain functioning going on. So, I just drink the darn tea anyway. I know the small amount of constrictive properties is what my body is looking for.

My husband just rolled his eyes when he asked me how my morning was going without my tea. I said I just can't do it. :rolleyes:

I use regular green tea and put decaf black tea with it. There is so much research as to how beneficial tea is for us. Good in both the green and black. The black is too stimulating for me so the decaf and then use the green for the extra ump. I also, still like one cup of regular coffee in the a.m. Coffee is found to be good for you too and it has to be with the caffeine in it. They are finding out so much about these two substances lately and all point to benefits.

• 5 years later...

Here I am 5 years later, and still addicted to black tea.  Once again, feeling low for the first half of the day, and thinking about how I drink tea every morning.  I drink about 40 ounces, in two 20 oz. servings a couple of hours apart.  Then, water the rest of the day.

Once again, I read an article about the nitric oxide properties of tea, and how it causes vasodilation.  I think I read a long time ago that it lowers cortisol, too.  SO, maybe I'm creating my awful days by just drinking my teas!

I am going to switch to coffee beginning tomorrow, and I'll see if I notice any improvement in a month.  I NEED to feel better.  I have declined so much this year in my daily energy, that I feel like I can't even do my usual small amount of things that I normally do while pretty much housebound.  I mostly sit in my chair, and I need to be able to cook and do things around the house.  Not so much because they need to be done anyway, but because I NEED to feel like I can do some things in my limited life!