Ibs - Can It Be On And Off With Pots?

I think I have some IBS problems again...I hadn't for a long time but now I'm having random diarrhea (yuck), not hungry, upset stomach easily, etc.

I have a feeling my POTS might be causing it to flare up because I'm stressed right now about life, starting a new job, etc. And boom. Now I have IBS. What can I do to make it better?

Two things come to mind. Didn't you just switch bb to metoprolol (sp?)? That can cause D.

The other issue is your continuing upper respiratory problems. I often have problems then I think due to the increased mucus throughout the system. Increase fluids and make sure you are getting probiotics - I eat yogurt.

And, of course, you know stress is a major culprit. Could you try a short meditation? I am thinking about a 2 to 3 minute to practice before you begin work so it is second nature when you really need it so as to settle down.

Hi...I have IBS. As a matter of fact, it's one of my worst Dysautonomia symptoms. It will help if you eat things that are gentle on your stomach and don't aggravate the IBS. High soluble fiber (the soft, gel-like fiber) and keep your water intake high to prevent dehydration. I honestly don't feel as though the things I eat trigger it but rather my stress & Dys trigger it. Good luck to you on your job and working all this out.

I have been having horrible GI issues the last several months. I have lost about 35 pounds (and I was not overweight to begin with!), have constant diarrhea, and incredibly difficult to treat nausea. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and have switched to a strict gluten-free diet. I have not as yet noted significant improvement, but I have only been really strict about the diet for about 3 weeks. I definitely noted more problems with my IBS/GI issues after the onset of my POTS as an adult. (Had syncopal episodes as a teen, but wasn't diagnosed until I was 32 or so.)

Sandy

Hi! I've had IBS with diarrhea since the late 1990's. I see that you're a latte lover too. Don't you find a bout of diarrhea follows the coffee? I swear I could use my one cup of morning coffee as a laxative! I keep anti diarrheal pills on hand and take as needed (like when I have a doctors appt.) Fiber is also a great idea as mentioned earlier. I started on Doxepin several months ago and find it helps a bit--with the IBS, sleep, and restless legs. I take 50 mg at bedtime. Stress is also a definite causitive factor. Good luck--I know how inconvient (and uncomfortable) it is.