Could This Be Sjogren'S?

songcanary

Hello everyone,

I have NMH and was doing pretty well until a few weeks ago when I started having intermittent episodes of mouth and nose dryness. Then came the constipation. Also, my throat feels dry. All the symptoms are constant now. A few months ago I was prescribed a cream for vaginal dryness as well. It works ok but not super. The house is humidified, it is not dry skin.

Does anyone out there have Sjogren's and do these symptoms sound like it? My rheumy reviewed my lab work in May 2010 and ordered a SM AB and SM/RNP AB (I don't know what they are) he said to rule out certain kinds of connective tissue disease if I remember correctly but I'm not sure. Results were negative.

This dryness is different from anything I've ever had before, it's really uncomfortable. It is a long shot, but can 5g salt/2L water daily cause this? I seriously doubt it but I did stop the salt yesterday to see what happens. So far no difference. Thoughts on this?

It is so tough to say. The vaginal dryness could be an estrogen issue. Also SICCA which is a bit different than Sjogrens is a possiblility. There are sprays for mouth, nose, use eye drops, lip. Drug store .com has an incredible selection. It might be, just for grins worth seeing what they have. I wouldn't stop sodium. Would add more H2O. And find a good moistureizer Eucerin is great and not expensive. Suckking on sugar free candy or loli pops, Helps me. Miriam

Miriam, thank you. I think I'll make an appt with the rheumy to report these new symptoms. Your OTC suggestions are good, I'm new to the world of the dry and irritated. And you're right, estrogen is an issue, I'm newly menopausal. I thought I could take a break from seeing doctors till spring but here we go :unsure: Many thanks, Marsha

I agree, don't cut your salt out. Salt helps you to retain fluid. Don't know if you use a heated blanket, but it can also cause a lot of the same symptoms, you end up sweating all your moisture out at night. If you have a mast cell disorder, you could be losing a lot of fluid because of it. Definitely increase your fluids.

And to think I was oh so proud of myself for getting down 2 liters! Interesting comment about mast cell. I am suspicious of it myself mostly because I have an unbelievable number of food allergies and I do have many of the other symptoms, although not all. Also, even I missed my salt so I am back on it. Thanks to you both :D