Pots \ Hospitalization

Guest tearose

Guest tearose

This happened nearly two months ago. I have been healing since then and wanted to share and spare someone else this ordeal.

I am most in balance when I am closest to my sense of "God" which means to walk with unconditional love, trying to manage my symptoms and do for others whatever my energy allows.

When autonomic dysfunction took my active life and job away, I lovingly turned to prayer and meditation even more for strength and support.

I made the mistake of sharing this with a doctor and wound up in the hospital for observation!!!!

Religiousness is considered a symptom of mental illness!!! No one wants to hear about "Holy Spirit" or a Contemplative Spiritual life.

I have not been able to share here until now because I was processing the feelings of being so stripped of my sense of self worth, dignity and yet sustained by the grace of the Divine.

That some in the medical field believe our dysautonomia symptoms are all "mental illness" and "somatic" is horrific and please be careful if you share that you get strength from God/ or the Divine. Not "looking disabled" has brought me much suffering and others wrong judgement. It is torture enough to not be able to work and support my self and family. Having to constantly defend my illness as a physical disability and not a mental disability is torment.

In the hospital, first they forced drugs and I lost consciousness and felt I was talking in my sleep. Then, I refused drugs, and was kept without reason. I was functioning fine and who wouldn't be with all your meals prepared, no chores to do. I did all I could to be a "good patient" but most of my peers on the unit were drugged out of the real world. I was very scared there and did not feel safe.

The doctors were all so frustrated since they were wrong! I had no signs of mental illness. They still wanted to medicate me and I refused. I had to get a lawyer and we went to court. The hospital does all they can to humiliate you. They strapped me to a gurney to take me to court. I was misdiagnosed but they had already force admission and gone down a wrong path so they had to face the judge.

HOWEVER, the good news is by the grace of all that is HOLY, the Judge said...let this woman go! The Judge said the hospital was wrong.

These horrific doctors must learn to differentiate between those who reach to "Spirit" to hear holy, light filled help from a Divine source and those who hear dangerous self derived derangements.

I am sorry I haven't been able to write in response to others for awhile...I have been in shock over the ordeal and prayerfully grateful that the ultimate "Judge" came through and the result was proved in court.

PLEASE keep the sharing of your Spiritual life contained if you want to avoid a forced hospitalization.

Badly bruised but still turning to the light...

tearose

Wow, that's terrible.

I have close friends with Schitzophrenia, and it is totally different to beleiving in god. Voices told him to jump off a bridge so he did, not helped him find strength.

That doctor really does not deserve to even be called a doctor.

I'm not religious but to be called mental because you are is just... ridiculous.

I have POTS, it's not like anxiety attacks, or anything like that. :/

Just don't go to see that doctor again, I hope you feel better.

This is totally horrific- unbelieveable, but I've heard too many similar stories...

I can't begin to imagine how frightening that must have been. I wonder what it will take for you to feel SAFE when you seek help from a doctor the next time.

God bless that Judge and you, sweet Tearose. Stay strong & know you are loved and supported here.

Hugs-

Julie

Oh tearose, I am so saddened and shocked to read that you went through this. I thought I had heard all versions of poor treatment of dysautonomia patients until I saw this.

There do seem to be many doctors who even if they accept POTS and similar conditions exist, still feel there is a large role being played by mental illness. I was also placed in psychiatric unit once (prior to diagnosis), although nothing this extreme ended up happening to me. And THAT was a terrible feeling.

Why is it that drs are so quick to diagnose mental illness, yet we seem as a society unable to help the Jared Loughners in our nation until after something horrific happens? (I'm sorry to take the focus away in any way from your situation, but I feel this phenomenon of mis and lack of diagnosis of mental disorders is truly puzzling.)

{{{tearose}}}

I, too, am truly appalled by this treatment by the medical community. Your wonderful spirit has shined through your posts as you help us all try to cope with the 'why me' and 'how do I carve out a life after this when all seems taken.'

You have been a true inspiration to many as you have kept your spiritual side alive demonstrating that we can keep our humanity in spite of all that has happened. I would bet the initial conversation happened while you were standing and the physical symptoms started taking over while you were trying to express a thought - at least that is what happens to me.

You are such a wonderful person - I am so very sorry this happened to you.

noreen

I was shocked and horrified to read your post. It's hard to believe something like that could happen. It is also terrifying!

Please keep your faith in God and know that I am praying for you.

Hugs to you tearose!!!

Thank you for sharing. I can see why you waited before letting us see the very painful situation you went through. Oh, it makes my heart hurt to hear of how you were mistreated! I'm so glad that you were sustained through it all... which is a testament to your character and to the presence of the Divine (as you eloquently put it). You are amazing.

Guest tearose

Thank you for your words of comfort everyone.

I sense you felt the torment and some here have also been a victim of this type of misdiagnosis and mistreatment as well.

What is so amazing is that because of my Spiritual practice which I embraced more deeply from managing POTS and Dysautonomia, I have been better able to manage this trauma event as well.

I am asking/praying/meditating for all mental health professionals learn the difference between holy and profane.

They also need to learn that those with invisible illness do NOT all have imaginary or somatic illness.

Thank you again for your words of love and support.

tearose

dear tearose:

I could feel the nightmare coming out of your post. I've been in a mental hospital (during a bad separation with my husband, we are reconciled now, doing well, thank the good Lord). But I went on my own accord to help with some suicidal and panic issues at hand. I could never imagine having to undergo what you just described, oh my goodness, i just don't see how you kept it together and how you are keeping it together. My heart hurts so very bad for you and I am so angered, so very angered at what you had to endure. I am so so very sorry. Something like that would most break me and shatter me to the core, yet you had to endure it. I don't even have words to say because I am so appalled. Reading your post was like reading something from centuries ago about torture. It makes me so sad and disturbed that this happened. I hope you sue the crap out of whoever is at fault....

gosh, ... im just at such a loss for words.... my mouth is on the floor and i don't think i will be able to pick it off the floor for a week! This is so unacceptable! Im still in shock......

You will be in my prayers...... keep strong.

lots of love, goodness, serenity, and repairing hugs to you.....

hilbiligrl

Every time I deal with the medical establishment, I am shocked and dismayed by how very little compassion there is for the people doctors (nurses, techs, radiologists, the list goes on and on!) purport to "care" for. But your experience, Tearose, really is beyond compare. Thank you for being brave enough to share your story so that we may all gain wisdom for your horrific experience. Thank you for serving to remind me how much faith can carry us through even the most horrific of circumstances. I pray for your continued healing from this trauma in God's loving embrace!

Sandy

Hi,

I read your post with tears streaming down my cheeks, its sounded like something that would happen in the 1800's not in modern medicine. Your treatment was horrific and you are so brave to have posted your experience here.

I am at a loss for words when I want to tell you how I feel about your treatment.

Rach

dear tearose,

i'm very sorry what happened to you but really glad that you've found the strength and courage to go on. as others have mentioned before, you are a great spirit and an inspiration for all of us here at this forum. i feel honoured to "know" you and learned from your insides. hats off for you for sharing your story. sending you warm thoughts and love,

corina :)

I am so sorry to hear tearose that they would challenge your spirituality. Shame on the doctors trying to play God, when we all know He is the supreme being. Please keep sharing your spirituality as I know since I was diagnosised with dysautonomia, it has been my faith and prayer that has sustained me. Will keep you in my prayers.

Tearose- I am so sorry you had to endure this, and grateful that despite the pain, you shared your story. It just brings to light, even more, what we face trying to live with this illness. I hope for brighter days for you.

Tommy

Thanks for sharing your story. I am truly outraged. Many/most doctors have a hard time admitting that they don't understand something, so when they are presented with a compilicated case tht they can't figure out, they just label someone as crazy. I can't believe they would go so far as to hospitalize you...that is really over the top and sounds like malpractice. I am glad you took the issue to court. It must have been so traumatic and I can understand why it took you a while to post about it!

Since getting POTS and hearing other people's horrible medical experiences, I've been more cautious around doctors and tried to give them only the info that they "need to know". I will be even more cautious from now on. I guess anything you say can be used "against" you....geez!

Thanks for sharing your experience. How horrible that must have been. One of the dr's I went to with my dysautonomia symptoms put me in the hospital to run test & when I started telling them him my symptoms I ended up in a psych ward for a week. I was terrified. Dr said I was depressed & wanted me to take an AD but I told them I wasn't depressed and I refused to take the meds. After a week of analysis they released me with no signs of mental illness. It was a nightmare, I was afraid to go to sleep at night.

Wow! What a terrifying experience! I am so sorry that you and others on the forum have had these type of experiences. Thank God you all were able to endure and keep your faith. I'll make sure to keep most information away from any of my doctors. I was lucking in the US to be in the bible belt and all of my drs were Christians and brought up God and prayer themselves. I will be praying that no one else on this forum or suffering from dysautonomia has to face anything like that, and that they are strong if it it ever happens. It's just really sad.