xanax and grapefruit juice

Merrill

Just got word ... all's well. I was told contrast was used in patients who've had tumors removed from their spines or in those who've had disk/s removed surgically or who have cancer. They said they don't use contrast for someone like me, who's experiencing pain, numbness, tingling, weakness and blah blah. I don't recall every detail of the prescription--if it was a box she checked that said "use contrast if needed" or if it simply said "use contrast by hook or by crook." In any event, I'll be talking to the doc later this week--as early as Wednesday afternoon, to see what the results are. I'm traveling Wednesday evening for long weekend ... thank goodness for cell phones! Not sure yet whether we'll have laptop and internet access so I can post over the weekend; I know if not, you all will be holding your breath to find out my results. (NOT ... :) )

take care!

Merrill

Merrill, glad to hear that you got a response back regarding the contrast dye. Seems you had the same experience of not needing it that Nina and I have had. It is good that you will get the feedback before the long holiday weekend. Get rid of the suspense. Be sure to keep a pen and paper near your cell phone and write down any questions you may want to ask your doctor in advance. I find this to be helpful because when I get off the phone with a doctor I am trying to remember what it was they said (LOL). DO let us know!

Enjoy your trip.

Merrill--

You make laugh... humor is a wonderful gift. Just thought I'd add my two cents about the contrast.

I've had numerous MRIs this year (and more to come at Mayo in February 05). I've had with and without contrast. Like the others have said, without is usually sufficient. Contrast didn't do a whole lot more for me. And it didn't bother me one bit. And yes, closed MRI is the best choice for accuracy/clarity. BUT, one thing... MRIs, even though they are labeled the "gold standard" are NOT always accurate. So many people and doctors ignore this. My father-in-law's MRI looked pretty clean, but aggressive doctor said, nope, something's not right with severity of symptoms. Went in and very large lumbar rupture. Thank goodness for that doctor!

Here's a funny for you. I've had both music and plain ol' earplugs. With the earplugs I find myself counting the bangs/hums. One time I came out and told the technician for the lumbar MRI, "well, there were about 300 bangs in that last 4 minutes." She gave me the goofiest grin. I know she thought I was nuts--I'm sure I am. Other times I just pray or sing or shop.

Do you have results yet? Waiting worst part. Nurses have told me they read those things usually within 24 hours. Really no excuse we have to wait sometimes for full results.

Hoping it's good news...

Ginger

Ginger is right that MRI's don't always show everything. None of my many pre-surgery films ever showed that my disc at c5-6 had long since ruptured and been resorbed back into my body. All that was there in the disc space was the bone my body had made to naturally fuse the joint, but the surgery wasn't done necessarily because of the disc, more from the osteophytes (boney bits) filling in the area and making the spinal canal too small. I do sometimes wonder if contrast would have shown the real problems sooner? I suppose I'll never know. :)

Nina

Hey Mighty Mouse--

I thought I remembered you had C5 C6 issues... I'm there, too. That's in addition to the lumbar-sacral stuff...

MRI showed spondylosis and mild bulge here, but they didn't seem concerend at the time. Over the last 9 months since that MRI, my neck is always aching at that spot, feels to me like "hump" a bit, nerve pain into shoulder and down arms sometimes...

Each of my lumbar-sacral films showed progressive degeneration, but I'm due for more of those films, too.

Any suggestions? When did they decide to go ahead with surgery for you? How bad were symptoms? How did it go? Better afterwards? I'm due for another round of films, but will likely wait until Mayo in February. Stuck it out this long!

Thanks

Ginger