Common Food Increased Heart Palpitations And Rate

icthus

At times it gets disheartening - so many symptoms, so many restrictions. Well, I've got a new one that even surprised the physician. Over Christmas, for two weeks I ate 5-6 1" squares of pickled herring every day as a special treat. After a few nights, I started getting palpitations and heart issues of all kinds. And they didn't improve. I wrote it off as more deterioration. Then it occurred to me that maybe the herring was the culprit. As it turns out, it is. It is very very high in amines which can cause the cardiac issues. According to my doctor, dysautonomics can have metabolism issues that are skewed - sometimes the liver works, sometimes it's a little lazy. Amines involve the sulfation cycle (? - it was verbally explained so the spelling might be wrong) and my sulfation cycle is compromised. Therefore, any high-content amine foods will cause cardiac issues. Well, that explained a lot because I devour lots of high-amine foods (cheese, nuts, citric fruit, tomato juice). I've been off them for the past few weeks, and I'm doing so much better. Housebound but better.

Anyone else with these issues? This link somewhat validates the amine/cardio relationship, especially paragraph 3.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/European-project-investigates-biogenic-amine-food-component

That's interesting--it notes foods such as "some mature cheeses, fermented foods, e.g. sauerkraut and fermented soya products, yeast extracts, pickled fish and red wine." as being culprits.

Interesting about red wine--another reason for us to avoid it I guess. Actually I used to eat a lot of yeast extract (salt content I suppose). Never noticed a problem with fermented foods personally, but I don't eat a lot of it.

I've been not eating alot of these foods for a couple of years, as I noticed they set off a reaction(varying ones) in my body. I know as I have been tested for a pheo in the past, I've found foods high in tyramine tend to aggravate a pheo. That is exactly the foods you mentioned.

And, in researching MCAD, I was looking at foods high in histamine, which encompasses alot of the same foods.

I guess we in general are sensitive to amine foods. Or, some of us could actually have a pheo or MCAD!

Most, if not all, of the foods you listed are also on the "forbidden" list for migraine sufferers. Yet another tie-in between all the various systems that go hay-wire with us.