Pretty Sure I Have Hypoglycemia

lieze

I had a pretty bad episode at my mom's tonight and we're pretty sure hypoglycemia caused it.

I did drink some milk right away and as the symptoms persisted she brought me a yogurt.

She is diabetic and diabetes runs in the family.

She has been diabetic since she was 23 and is 67 now.

She sent home an extra glucometer that she had and suggested I check my blood sugar a couple times per day.

I'm going to try to eat or drink my boost every hour and see if helps to prevent the drops in blood sugar.

It seems once I start dropping an episode is imminent.

It takes my body a bit to respond to the food I put into it.

So I guess this is my new quest to learn how to manage this.

It's good that you got a meter, but I think first you should just eat like you have been, and check your glucose levels at varying times of the day. For instance, right when you get up, maybe 2 hours after eating, and again righ before your next meal. I would do that for a few days to get a feel on what is going on.

Good luck and update us on what your numbers are doing!

The problem is I'm not eating well due to not understanding what is causing my episodes and random bad reactions that feel like death is imminent after only putting small meals in my system.

I may need to rethink this plan though Sue because I just had another minor drop after drinking the boost when I got home. Just about 2 oz is what we had planned every hour to try to keep a level amount of protein in my system and then I was to continue my bite size feedings on top of that of what I can tolerate...yogart, most fruits, most plain meats, some veggies, and I do well with all dairy as far as I know. The type of boost I have has corn syrup and that may be bad for me. I know they have a glucose control line and I may need to look at that and what it has in it as a substitute.

I do avoid breads and cereals for the most part.

That whole thing really took a toll on my thinking power...that's it for now but I'm trying to eat a bit of banana now.

Fwiw, I was diagnosed with "reactive hypoglycemia" years ago, which in my understanding simply meant that although my blood sugar "only" dipped down to 60, I would get symptoms. The doc at the time just kinda shrugged and said oh well, which was NOT helpful except I guess it made me feel like I wasn't crazy but it didn't really help me much. Someone here has argued that reactive hypoglycemia isn't a real diagnosis. All I know is that once I started on a self-determined "modified diabetes diet", I felt TONS better! So even if your numbers don't show typical signs of diabetes, if you are having symptoms, you might want to listen to them (imho!).

I didn't understand what "reactive hypoglycemia" meant right away. It wasn't until I was trying to diet after having a baby, and was eating rice lunches and pretty much passing out-a year of "low" blood sugar shakes to "high" blood sugar induced falling asleep (insulin?)-a year I pretty much lost, and then a third doc mentioning something about glucose, that I put 2+2 together and met with a diabetes counselor to learn about that diet. I started eating smaller meals of complex carbs mixed with fats and proteins (like cheese or beef sticks), and my life turned around. Now I eat Low Carb brand snacks and Low Carb brand breakfasts (cuz I know what works and it's an easy routine), combined with high protein/lower carb dinners (harder to be rigid about, so I try to be selective), and I'm MUCh better off.

Good luck!

Oh thank you for that supportive advice.

I wouldn't let my mom check it right away.

Finally as I started to feel a bit better I agreed-still couldn't do it myself I was out of it but it was 93 which is a great number.

I guess at that point we weren't worried I was coming out of it.

Had drank a small glass and a half of milk and was starting to eat small bites of yogart.

I had read years ago that milk was a fast sugar.

Which it might be problem is with it I just read that anything with fat absorbs more slowly into the system so that may be the delay I experienced and worsening of symptoms instead of improvement.

I may try juice next time right away and try to start the bites of yogart then or drink some of the boost.

I deal with hypoglycemia sometimes and it's not enough, in my experience, to just eat sugar. You need protein and fat too to prevent another crash.

So when I am low, I eat something sweet (just a small amount 1tsp of jam for example is more than enough) and then have a slice of cheese or some meat.

Also I eat regularly even if I'm not hungry; not a lot, just enough to keep my blood sugar stable.

For a while I carried those Smartie candies around, only 8g of sugar, as well as nuts for emergencies. I think you only need something like 2g to raise low blood sugar.

M

Thankyou M : )

I'm sure you learn a lot of tricks when dealing with this.

I just felt drop I get was shaky and took it but it wasn't low...it was 109.....I didn't get the drop in blood sugar.

With activity this is what happens, I get the feeling like I'm suddenly on an elevator going down, then I'll get the feeling I have to poop, the muddled thinking and a little shaky.

It took me three times to try to get the blood sugar, I had to poke myself three because no blood would come out.

Finally I looked and the one finger was just oozing with blood so----I got the sugar and was surprised to see it so good.

By this time the episode was over.

Thankyou M : )

I'm sure you learn a lot of tricks when dealing with this.

I just felt drop I get was shaky and took it but it wasn't low...it was 109.....I didn't get the drop in blood sugar.

With activity this is what happens, I get the feeling like I'm suddenly on an elevator going down, then I'll get the feeling I have to poop, the muddled thinking and a little shaky.

It took me three times to try to get the blood sugar, I had to poke myself three because no blood would come out.

Finally I looked and the one finger was just oozing with blood so----I got the sugar and was surprised to see it so good.

By this time the episode was over.

Next time check your BP maybe, if you can, and see what is going on. Sounds like a fight or flight reaction.

M

I know some doctors do not believe that reactive hypoglycemia exists but I have proved to mine that I have it and that my blood sugar falls well below 60 and even below 20 which is the low limit of the meter. One way to catch it on the glucometer is to take a succession of readings every 1 or 2 minutes when you are feeling symptomatic. This might show jumps and drops of the blood sugar by as much as 40 to 60 points in just a couple of minutes. This yo-yoing is what you are feeling. Also try to take your blood sugar at intervals after eating a big meal and see if it drops below 60. Sometimes you can catch the drop before you feel the symptoms which usually occur when your body is reacting to raise your sugar. Also take your glucose if you are having any mood swings or not thinking right. The problem with this is that you will need a lot of strips which can be expensive. I was lucky that I went to an endocrinologist who gave me a prescription for the strips as well as a meter. I have dealt for years with hypoglycemia and the only support from doctors was to say "eat cheese crackers between meals". I finally got put on metformin which has helped even out my blood sugar and it has been a while since I have had a wild mood swinging event.

Hi Lieze,

Thanks for posting this topic. I'm trying to figure out if your dysautonomia is the reason you are sensitive to your blood sugar level. As a nurse, I've never heard of Reactive Hypoglycemia but I have had some experience with what you are describing. I used to have rebound hypoglycemia (where my body would shoot out lots of insulin in relation to eating...say, a donut...only to drop my sugar). However, every time I checked my sugar, it would be on the low end of normal (60 or 70). I never understood why I had these symptoms (such as you describe) with a normal BS. I suppose this is the Dys. Afterall, it can affect our hormones and insulin is a hormone. Regarding your diet, it is my belief that EVERY single person should be on a diabetic diet. Why? Because it is well balanced and calorie appropriate. When you have a low sugar, you should eat/drink a small amount of sugar (1 cup of juice-NO extra sugar added) followed by a protein such as peanut butter crackers & skim milk. It sounds like you are taking steps to correct your problem and I do wish you success with it. You've gotten great advice from the posters in this thread. I've really come to love this place! :D