How are you cleaning your homes?

Ling

Hi All

Please tell me how you guys are cleaning your homes. About 1 1/2 years ago when I could not do as much as I use to I got a maid in to help me. I have gotten to a point where I can’t even touch a broom. It is ridiculous. I passed out or black out from sweeping or washing a small area. Plus the joy is I have two puppies that love my new garden. You all know how wonderful Jasmine and Dozy are to me. But with a new home and a new garden my floor is disgusting. Being a perfectionist and a neat freak does not help. Luckily Jasmine has tone me down allot on this. But what are you guys doing? I don’t have money to get a maid every day and I cannot use a broom any more. It takes everything out of me to sweep my floor. And the way I feel afterwards is not worth the cleaner surface. As for Jasmine and Dozy staying outside. It’s not happening! They are the best medication I have! Especially Jasmine who knows exactly when things are going bad for me.

I am looking at getting a light hand held machine that gilds along the floor. It has a powerful suction without being heavy or requiring any of my body strength. Also no electricity required. What are you doing to clean your homes? :)

Well, I'm not sure if it's a viable option for you, but I've been using a SwifferDry "mop" for a number of years now and love it! It' an easy, little energy replacement for standard brooms -- I can use it with two fingers without difficulty. It's hollow and made of exceptionally light materials. You buy either disposable or reusable cloths that easily attatch to the bottom of the "mop" (reusables you can just throw into the washing machine) -- they just push into place and never fall out until you take them out (also not difficult for us!). It glides across smooth surfaces such as lanoleum, wood, laminate, paint, etc. and picks up an extraordinary amount of dust, hair, etc.! The first time you use it, you will be both amazed by how well it works and repulsed by the amount of dust you've been living in! You can use the Dry cloths for dusting, as well. The dust and hair collects onto the cloth once and for all, instead of just blowing to a new location in the room or wafting around in the air currents. It's not very effective in mud, piles of dirt, water, and carpets, however.

You can also get the newer product called the Swiffer Wet Jet to use instead of a standard mop & bucket of sudsy water, but I don't have any experience with this particular product -- I've never needed it. You might consider this as an option for when the puppies have been frolicking in the garden! :)

Any of the products are readily available for purchase at online sites -- I'm including the Swiffer home page in case you want more information. http://www.homemadesimple.com/swiffer/usen...ducts/dry.shtml

These could probably work well for regular maintenance, having the maid come in once a month or every two weeks to take care of more strenuous cleaning. I've kept 2 reusable cloths for low dust jobs (such as bi-weekly furniture dusting) and use the disposables for the dirtier surfaces (such as dark corners under beds or my brothers' bedrooms :) -- don't like the idea of all that junk it picks up going into my wasing machine :) ).

Hope this helps!

Angela

P.S. Enjoy the puppies! I have a 14-year-old Basenji-Beagle mix. She's deaf and losing her vision slowly, but still playful and so very loving. She treats me as if I'm one of her puppies that she has to take care of -- quite the little resident nurse! :)

Has anybody tried that robotic vacuum cleaner? I can't remember the name, but have been considering this option. I try to clean a bit when I get home from work and on the weekends, but my wife tries to clean a little each day. Vacuuming is a huge chore for her. This vacuum is expensive, but is about the same price as a middle tier vacuum. I'm not sure how well it would actually work though.

Guest tearose

I would also like to know if anyone uses that robot vacuum with good results.

I'm not as fussy as I use to be.

I ask for help, lower my expectations and find humor in my dust...I say I have pets..bunnies...dust bunnies. tearose

There is a self-propelled vacuum called Roomba. It's a great idea, but I've never had any experience with one. I'd love to know if it really does a good job or not.

I did have to hire a cleaning service for a while, but can now do my own house cleaning again. Not that I enjoy doing it, but I am thrilled to have returned to a much more "normal" life again.

I will not be without a DustBuster-type of product. Just go after the big stuff and let the rest go.

Is it possible to contact a church or a senior volunteer organization to ask for help with house cleaning? Many such groups are looking for ways to assist those in their communities. House cleaning is one of those things that many people are very happy to do, particularly when the need is health-related.

The latest Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner is very good, and much improved than its earlier version. My mom has one of the earlier versions, and she loves it. It doesn't get EVERYTHING on the floor but it does a good job. I have a neighbor who has the improved version of the Roomba and it works great. It may not ever take the place of actual human vacuuming up every spec and getting into every nook and cranny, but it certainly makes my mom's life much easier. She has back and knee problems and high blood pressure, so she gets winded really easy. She calls her Roomba vacuum, "Sally" :D

Just as a side note, those with chemical sensitivities may want to avoicd the wet jet swiffer products. At first I thought it had a nice smell, but within 5 minutes of using it, I always get nauseated and have a headache, so I finally just got rid of it. I am able to vacuum and mop my own floors though. (I also use a non-toxic homemade floor cleaning solution now).

I'm thinking about getting a Roomba though, especially for those days I'm in a pots hole! Now if they can only make a robotic mopper, then we'd be all set! :)

I have one of the earlier versions of the Roomba. Hubby decided I needed it since neither of us are up to cleaning house. It works GREAT on smooth floors like hardwood or linoleum and on short napped carpet. It is bagless - uses a filter. When the dustbin is full it stops and plays a song to let you know to come empty it. It also goes under all furniture that is more than 4 inches off of the floor. When they moved my couch it was sparkling clean underneath! You will still need a "big" vaccum cleaner but the Roomba keeps the floor "barefoot clean". In short - I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!

I was looking at that Roomba vacuum too - I think that product was made for us :) The way I sweep the floor is that I use a dustbuster and sit/crawl on the floor while using it. For vacuuming I'm lucky that I have a husband that can do that chore, because otherwise it just wouldn't get done....

While we're on the subject of cleaning, anyone have any tips for cleaning the shower?? That daily shower spray just does not cut it....

Pam

I confess that I don't do much in the way of cleaning. We did buy a "swiffer", but that just didn't seem to do the job. So, then we spent a bit more for the Hoover Floormate, which is like a vacuum and a mop all in one. It's easy to use and makes my kitchen floor look like I did lots of work when really, I didn't. Also, our vacuum cleaner is self propelled.

I do not do most of the housecleaning or cooking, but when I'm feeling well enough, I try to pitch in. I also try to help with laundry--mostly, I do all the folding.

Nina

Just my 2 cents. The new Roombas are great, my aunt got a"gently used one" for about $120.00 and it runs nearly every day in a different room. She really likes the fact it goes from carpet to hard floors. She sets an old chicken door stop in the way of the roomba as it works in each room. IT can't go around it and it does a nice job. She has back problems so loves it.

As to shower cleaners, what are you looking for? I can't handle many cleaners so my favorites are vinegar and citrus. Both are strong and smell good to me. You can make your own citrus (orange and lemon mixed is what I like) cleaner by buying 5 pounds each oranges and lemons (old ones are fine, ask if the store is getting rid of any). peel the skins off (NO FRUIT) and grind them up, cover with water and bring to a boil, simmer for about 2 hours. strain and bottle. Add about 1 cup to 2 cup vinegar.

Blackwolf