Having neuro psychological test tomorrow

corina

Hi guys,

I'm a bit worried, because I'm having my neuro psychological test tomorrow. It will take 4 to 5 hours and that definately is a challenge for me because I usually can't sit for more then 2 hours and after that I have to lay down for some time. So I'll have to ask if that is possible. I also have to think and remember things (that's what's worrying me too). I think that I'm just afraid of where I am right now (in remembering things I mean). I DO want to know but at the same time it frightens me. My familydoc asked my neuro to do this test because my shorttime memory is getting worse (when I'm off my meds you can call it very bad) and I also seem to forget very basic things I should have known before (this is something my husband says because I don't know of this at all). I want to do this test (although it also scares me) because I want to know how things are. And maybe it will turn out better than expected and that would stop me from worrying. My familydoc said it could also be caused by low bp at some times, so I'll do this test and see, but it surely makes me feel very uncomfortable (I would like to have another word for uncomfortable but just can't find out which one, does this make sence?.

Corina

Hi Corina,

I agree that you could ask them to lay down. Maybe you could lay down to write the exam or write part of it, take a break and continue.

You can also ask to eat and drink while you write the exam.

I hope that this test brings you positive news.

Good luck tomorrow.

Ernie

Dear Corina, I wish you the best of luck, mabey you should have called ahead to make arrangments for you needs, mabey the doc already has. I had a similiar experence when I was undergoing my review for disability and they were very good about letting me do things at my own pace. It was done over several days and some was done at my home ( a 75 mile drive for the tester).

Again best of luck,

Blackwolf

My neuro psych testing was done over a series of days also. It was tiring, but I did find out lots of useful information. I hope that it goes well for you.

Nina <_<

Thanks, for all your sweet words and advices. The test was not that funny (to stay nice :) ). It took 6,5 hours and realizing (in doing the tests) that there are things that I just don't know anymore, made me cry several times. At one aspect (where I had to mention the missing part at the picture) I asked the assistent whether this could be a trap because I didn't miss anything in about 23 of the 25 pictures but she said on every picture something was missing: I REALLY DIDN'T SEE IT. I also had to read a story and I could get to the point of it after reading but I didn't know anything else. That wa so strange I JUST DIDN"T KNOW IT. After all the testing I had an interview with the professor and he told me there is no such thing like Alzheimers' or something going on, but there are some strange things on the shorttime memory that really don't fit with my age and education. He is going to talk to my neuro about this. He told me that I was his first POTSpatient (which didn't surprise me) but what touched me was that he said that there wouldn't be a problem if the 4 in my age would be an 8 (meaning being 81 instead of 41). Well, he was very friendly and is going to analyse the tests and will report to my neuro. I have an appointment in January for the final result. Apart of that they didn't tell me there would be a lunchbreak (I probably could have knwown that myself but just didn't think of it) and the assistent said: well, we're having lunch now, that's on the second floor, have a nice meal! I had to ask her to bring me there in my wheelchair and then she dropped me there. Luckily there was a lady kind enough to help me because I couldn't reach for the bread etc. Well, it definately was not my day. When John came to pick me up at 4.00 pm I was totally exhausted and told him it is easier to give birth to a baby (when your healthy I ofcourse!).

Well, the end of a long story, I'm not feeling very well yet, had an appointment with my cardio as well today and my electric cart stopped when I was trying to buy our bread today. I hope it will be fixed tomorrow because I have an appintment with my PT to do some walking exercises. I think I better forget on the last two days soon. Thanks again for all your kind words: they mean the world to me.

Oh and you know: when I was doing my tests I looked at my bracelet (if I could find the answer THERE). It helped me mentally but absolutely not with giving the correct answers :P

Corina

Oh, Corina, what a day you had! You must surely be exhausted but I hope this will help your doctor to work with you in some way. I can imagine how frustrating it was when you just could not see the missing item in the picture or remember a story part....I know I would be the same.....not that it is helpful, but what exactly is short term memory anymore!!!

I am so glad this is behind you and you can get some much needed rest. Have a peaceful weekend with no quizzes!!

Corina, you surely had a marathon appointment! I can't imagine having done all that testing in one day. Brutal. :)

I felt as you did during the tests--I was startled at the things that were difficult for me. I didn't realize that I had any memory or concentration problems. After my spinal surgeries, I had occupational, physical and speech therapy. I probably could still use some work with a speech therapist to address the problems I have with swallowing and choking, but it's not bothered me enough yet to move forward with that.

I suppose the good side of having spent your whole day at the doctor's office is that perhaps they can help you with strategies or therapies...and improve the things that are hard? I hope so.

Nina :)

corina,

well, i thought i would send an ego boost your way. my mom is a college professor and her students cannot write a sentence! english is your SECOND language and you write sooooo well compared to them...i am always amazed at how well you do and how well you pick up on american jargon.

so, that's my ego-boost for you.

i haven't had neuro-psych testing done...i don't think that is what it was. just the IQ test stuff. i was a really good student, went to a great school, etc. etc. (not bragging here, that is not the intention) and then took this dumb IQ test after i got sick. i did terrible! i have had to learn that it is NOT symbolic of my intelligence. but, like nina i didn't realize that i was having that much trouble concentrating.

by the end i was so tired. then, they told me in the evaluation that my problem was that i just gave up too easily on the questions. i was so mad! grrrrr....

i felt so insulted. i almost wish i'd never done the test b/c it made me feel so stupid. but, i'll hold on to other academic accomplishments instead. and the fact that every day i fight and fight and fight this illness so hard and with all of my spirit. and that is what you do! so, that's my lift for you.

aaaahhhh....i've got some energy to give back again. that feels GOOD.

what time is it over there in the netherlands anyway? :)

later allgator!

emily

Corina,

I understand what you mean about feeling dumb. I was always told how smart I was, but I just figured most everybody was like me. I am - or rather, was - very left-brained for most things, but now I feel like I can't find either side of my brain. I can't access info I should know, and often I can't remember having experienced various things. I can't begin to describe what this has done to my self-esteem and confidence!

However, brain power goes along with physical health. If I am feeling well, my brain is better able to function. If I feel ill, my brain doesn't connect at all. Mental fatigue is a huge problem for those of us with dysautonomia. It affects reflexes, communication skills, patience level, tenacity and much more.

Thankfully, because I have ignored medical protocol and done nearly everything based on nutrition, I have improved tremendously from where I was 3 years ago. I have days and sometimes a few weeks at a time when I can think clearly, enjoy puzzles and problem-solving and other thinking tasks, feel motivated to do things, and appear to be "normal" in most ways. I'm still not consistent nor symptom-free, but I've been off the nutritional supplements for 3 months now - it's time to start up again.

Anyway, I do understand the inability to make your brain work. You are NOT dumb, just temporarily disconnected. Keep repeating to yourself how smart you are - don't let your current attitude replace who you really are. Hang in there, and keep working on your health - your body chemistry balance is reflected in your brain!

Well, thanks again for all your sweet words!!! Emily I really needed that ego boost. Thanks very much. And Opus what you said about chemistry balance reflected in the brain thought that is SOOO true. So I'll work on it!!! I'm having a nice weekend so that sets my mind off the test. The test made some things very clear so I hope I can work on that to improve things.

As I'm writing this, Emily its 3.52 pm. So, now that you've explained in another topic: I won't hit the hay (yet) but will continue my nice and relaxing weekend and hope all of you have a very nice weekend as well!!!!

Corina

Guest Mary from OH

Corina-

Congrats on making it through all your neuro psych exams!! I know how exhausting it can be!! I used to practice psychology before I became really sick!! I would test people too - from infants all the way to adults (and I've been tested before myself). So, I can totally relate! Actually, I was thinking the other day. I wonder how I would perform if someone tested me today? I know I would score MUCH lower than I had years ago. It's amazing how much difficulty I have with my memory. I wonder if I'll ever be able to practice again.

I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions with your results, I'll be more than happy to try to explain them if you'd like.

:lol:

Hi Mary

that's so very sweet of you. I thank you in advance for it. When I do end with some unanswered questions I will certainly ask you!!! In fact I think it's better for you not to be tested, because it's so terribly confronting, I found that very hard. I am very curious if this is POTS related (as I think because I've never had this bad shorttime memory and it seems like a lot of other POTSpatients have). My neuro psychological proffessor is going to discuss this with my neuro, since he had never heard of POTS. I do realize that they're not POTS experts like Dr.Grubb, but I know they're doing the best they can.

Corina