Fish Oil And Blood Pressure Meds

tinkerbella

My cardio just started me on fish oil for my high triglycerides....I get that muscle breaking down condition from statins. I read online that you need to take 3 pills and not one for triglycerides. Then, my sister told me the same thing.... ; ) I knew I told her. I slowly added them in and this morning decided to go to 3. After my first bag of fluids I was having trouble breathing laying down. I SAT UP AND FELT BETTER, BUT MY HEART WAS BOUNDING AWAY. I hate to be a bother, but I knew somethin was wrong. My posturals signs went higher and higher and heart rate was 130 after taking all my meds.

Now, they asked me the, "A" word and I wasn't, but when you ask you make me...I'm sure you all know what I mean. Then call to doc and a plan is made.They draw blood and make me rest and everything is higher. The doc by phone says let her go home and he will watch for my blood work. Now if I go home I have no way back, as nearest hospital is less than1 min away. I get home and can't stand without heart bounding. I look up fish oil and it says interaction with BP meds can make lower. Hummm, but mixed with cardizem cd and MESTION would it make it go higher? LIKE WAY HIGHER THEN?

Well I'll get to ask the neuro tomorrow, but tonight I can't stand. ; ( Any feedback? Thanks for any input.

bellamia ~

Bella... a big hug to you!

I wonder if Sue is on to something.

I know nicotine gum makes your blood pressure go up. I felt so much better chewing it ( never smoked) but when I was teaching I had so much trouble thinking... I knew what nicotine did because I did a project in school on lung cancer.

I only told my mom and my husband that I did this. I only did it when I worked.

Now I have been well enough to drive. When I have to drive for more then 10-15 min... I chew that gum.

Maybe this fish oil means other things are going to have to be adjusted.

Also I just watched a dr. oz today and many drugs interact with food. You know your body and you know what had changed. I think... trust your instincts!

I hope you get answers. I'm thinking of you. Just remind your docs( if you need too ) that our bodies sometimes do the opposite of normal... like most people are not supposed to have much salt.

Keep us posted! -k

BellaMia

I had a triglyceride problem with readings near 400, at my Doctors direction I was put on Lipitor and fish oil, I just could not digest the 4 fish oil pills so after many months of a fishy odors and severe after taste, burps, and a triglyceride reading of just below 200 I switched myself to MegaRed Krill Oil. This is a one pill a day routine, and my latest triglyceride reading was well below 100. While fish oil provides other cardiovascular benefits, MegaRed? lowers CRP and triglycerides better than fish oil with out the bad digestive side effects. Supposedly its 3X better than fish oil?

I cannot say that it may help your BP - postural condition but maybe it is worth a try?

DADofPotsSon

I decided to try taking fish oil caps because they're supposed to help prevent migraines. I took one 1000 mg capsule for the first time with lunch today and got really dizzy afterward. The dizziness lasted around 4- 5 hours. I've read fish oil caps can lower BP but this was more of a vertigo type dizziness than my usual lightheaded feeling from low BP. Plus....my BP was fine. So who knows....I'm sure the dizziness was from the fish oil capsules and not just a coincidence.

I feel awful when I take fish oil too. My theory is that it lowers my BP, and then my sympathetic nervous system decides to bring it back up, but in the process goes into overdrive and my body has a hissy fit. Heart palpitations, high BP, gastro issues.....the usual fun stuff.

Maybe it would help to gradually increase the dosage but eating more oily fish, then one tablet, then increase to two etc?

I feel awful when I take fish oil too. My theory is that it lowers my BP, and then my sympathetic nervous system decides to bring it back up, but in the process goes into overdrive and my body has a hissy fit. Heart palpitations, high BP, gastro issues.....the usual fun stuff.

Maybe it would help to gradually increase the dosage but eating more oily fish, then one tablet, then increase to two etc?

I do OK when I eat fish so I think I'm going to stick with eating salmon a few times a week. I can't figure out why I can handle eating fish but can't take fish oil. Makes no sense. I'd be willing to try fish oil caps again if they made caps with less than 500 mg of fish oil.

I do OK when I eat fish so I think I'm going to stick with eating salmon a few times a week. I can't figure out why I can handle eating fish but can't take fish oil. Makes no sense. I'd be willing to try fish oil caps again if they made caps with less than 500 mg of fish oil.

I use enteric coated fish oil capsules. It definitely makes a difference. I was originally prescribed fish oil years ago for inflammation when I was nursing my son (now 15). I couldn't stay on them long term, due to the problems people have mentioned/ Going to the coated ones a couple years ago and spreading the dose out over the day made a difference.

The problem with a diet heavy in fish is mercury.

I use enteric coated fish oil capsules. It definitely makes a difference. I was originally prescribed fish oil years ago for inflammation when I was nursing my son (now 15). I couldn't stay on them long term, due to the problems people have mentioned/ Going to the coated ones a couple years ago and spreading the dose out over the day made a difference.

The problem with a diet heavy in fish is mercury.

How many mg of fish oil are in the enteric coated ones? Glad they work better for you....I might try them if I can find a cap lower than 1000 mg.