Connecting neck to the autonomic nervous system

Merrill

Julie, Nina, this may be a question for you ... but I thought I'd post for everyone both because more folks may have articles stashed away and also because it seems like several others at least will be interested in the results!

Anyway ... I'd like to read an article (or several) about the connection between the autonomic nervous system and the cervical spine.

Whadaya got?

Thanks,

merrill

Edited by MightyMouse

Wow. That's a lot ... I read a bit, mostly from the 2nd group. I guess at this point I feel like an actual diagnosis would help me absorb more from the first batch. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this--I didn't read each piece in depth--but it seems as if ANS symptoms (e.g. some of the things associated with pots) are concurrent but not necessarily causes or effects of cervical spine trouble. (Did I say that in a way that makes sense?) That is, it's a chicken/egg situation--and unclear which condition is a precurser. Just that for some people, both conditions are manifest.

At any rate, thanks so much, Nina, for providing all those URLs! I'll be referring back to them as the information rolls in. Staggers?

Best,

Merrill

Merrill, you've got the gist of it exactly.

I have POTS, and my c-spine problems do have overlap in symptoms, which really complicated the diagnostic process from my end. I waited many years more than I should have because I thought all the neuro symptoms were POTS.

Things that you should be sure to get a good differential dx for:

numbness or tingling in the hands, feet or face

electric-like pains--shooting pains in the limbs

swallowing problems/choking or aspirating (c5-6 handles swallowing)

unexplained pain, spasms, etc.

weakness in your upper or lower extremities--not like the heaviness that comes with fainting, for example, my legs would just give out from under me, and I'd drop items from my hands unexpecetedly.

Nina

Nina, That is a little scary what you just said. I have done that stuff for over 2 years now and was told it was just the POTS. I have just chalked it up to being "clumsy". I often drop things or just can't make my hands work right. I have fallen a few times without being dizzy or lightheaded also. I also have trouble swallowing at times. Mabey I should hurry up and find a different doc.

Blackwolf

Guest Julia59

I have seen some of the medical articles Nina posted, but not all, and a couple were pretty interesting. If you go to the WACMA--(world arnold chiari malformation association) web site you may find some other links that will connect the ANS with spinal issues---or chiari. I have found so many----my head is spinning. I will try to find a couple of good ones tonight.

I joined the WACMA on-line support group and found a lot of information from people posting links on articles. I haven't been able to post, but I receive many. I have to clean my e-mail daily---as the posts are received via e-mail---kind of a pain in the you know what. I'm lazy when it comes to anything on the computer. I like interesting information, but hate to search for it. I have to be in the mood. Once I get the information----i'm a medical reading nerd.

Let me find a couple of good articals.

Thanks,

Julie :0)