Birth Control

bella27

Whenever I have my period, my POTS spirals out of control. I am dizzy and tired and my memory and word retrieval problems become even more intense than they already are. I would like to take birth control to stop or at least lessen the effect of my periods but was wondering if birth control effects POTS in any other ways (positively or negatively)? Does it have any effect on blood volume? And do its horomones have any effects on POTS besides helping to regulate the menstrual cycle? Has anyone had good luck with a particular brand? Obviously, I would like one that does not make me emotional or gain weight...

Thanks so much for your feedback!!

R

I have found that my birth control pills seem to help control some of my hormonal swings. I am taking Reclipsen now, which is a monophasic birth control pill, which is what would probably be best for you. The monophasic pills means that they have the same amount of both estrogen and progestin, and my doctor told me they were a very low dose pill. She also told me that it might help to take 2-3 packs in a row without having a period, and that has helped me, too.

Hope this helps!

Wow, I was just "researching" about the female hormones yesterday, and was going to do a post when I read enough to ask questions. I think there could be a connection there somewhere. I personally don't ever feel well trying the hormones. It makes me really tired and bloaty. I also get the visual migraines. I was like that premenopause AND now in menopause.

Some birth control pills raise blood pressure. My doctor looked up the side effects of brands and prescribed one known to raise blood pressure and I think that helped because I felt better on the pill. I can't remember the name.

I took birth control pills for many years without the 7 day break, thus no period, no migraine, no worsening of POTS symptoms.

I always had a migraine and increased POTS symptoms when I had my period to the point I would have a week I couldn't even leave the house.

I am now in menopause so no period, no migraine, no worsening of POTS symptoms. Just hot flashes which are nothing compared to how I was during my period.

I take Seasonique (which is also where you only have a period every 3 months). It has really worked amazingly for me. I went through a ton of different ones since I was 14 trying to find one that has worked for me and my symptoms. Finally been on this for two years now and my POTS symptoms are not worse while on my period. Hope you find something that works for you.