Need Ideas On Options For Working From Home

Tammy

I'm at a point where I'd like to think about working from home somehow. However my energy doesn't allow a lot of time to dedicate to it but we could really use some help with our income and I don't feel well enough to try and pursue disability income as going to meetings would be too difficult and stressful. I can't drive consistently and most days have to be in a recliner but have a laptop that I can use. Any ideas if there ways to use my laptop from home to earn some income? Really need some legitamate work ideas! Thanks :)

What kind of skills do you have? Any specific education?

I spent a lot of time researching online work and was fortunate to find that I could still work in my profession from home.

If you have a masters degree you can do online tutoring or even be an online professor. You can check out sites like tutor.com if that's something you'd be interested in.

There's also medical transcription or billing/coding. That can be hard to break into as lots of folks are trying to do it and less companies are hiring but it's still an option.

Editing and writing can earn some extra income. Of course if you're into graphic design or have any computer background you can design web pages ect. from home. Aslo, some people earn money by blogging.

If you sew you could earn money by being a seamstress (hemming pants etc.).

There are quite a few companies that hire customer service reps. that work from home. If you check with your local vocational rehab agency they may be able to help you find reputable companies.

Those are some ideas off the top of my head. Hopefully others will be able to add to the list for you! :)

I'm at a point where I'd like to think about working from home somehow. However my energy doesn't allow a lot of time to dedicate to it but we could really use some help with our income and I don't feel well enough to try and pursue disability income as going to meetings would be too difficult and stressful. I can't drive consistently and most days have to be in a recliner but have a laptop that I can use. Any ideas if there ways to use my laptop from home to earn some income? Really need some legitamate work ideas! Thanks :)

Just wanted to let you know that I was homebound when I applied for disability and every bit of it was done per the telephone. The people were concerned and did a great job..... True it was a very long phone call -- but nonetheless there were no meetings involved. In some cases the medical records themselves speak volumes so you don't have to. For awhile I tried baking from home and taking the treats to restaurants - ..to try to get them to hire me as a pastry chef. It worked -- but it is proving out to be too difficult to be on my feet.... So I'm right where you are at.... desiring to work -- yet what will work? I asked my banker if I could ever try banking as it's always so quiet and you get to sit down most of the time -- even though I have no training in it. He said absolutely - But what if you have days where you don't function well? I guess it's the same at a bank - or at home....you can only do what you can do -- and if you must lie down - you lie down....pretty darn frustrating for sure....I have a hard time keeping up with day to day activity so I hear you on the struggle -- Good luck in getting creative to work from home :-) I don't think Chase Bank has a dysautonomia 'lay down before you fall down' break room -- so prolly nix on that idea!

if I could ever try banking as it's always so quiet and you get to sit down most of the time -- even though I have no training in it. He said absolutely - But what if you have days where you don't function well? I guess it's the same at a bank - or at home....you can only do what you can do -- and if you must lie down - you lie down....pretty darn frustrating for sure....I have a hard time keeping up with day to day activity so I hear you on the struggle -- Good luck in getting creative to work from home :-) I don't think Chase Bank has a dysautonomia 'lay down before you fall down' break room -- so prolly nix on that idea!

Had to smile at this as I had the same thought process about being a banker...actually about every job I see now where they are sitting for any length of time. I am trying to start a home business based around my knitting. It is slow going, but I feel like I have to try. I hope you find something that satisfies. It is amazing how much of my worth is/was tied up in what I "do". I am still learning to let go of that perspective. Some days are better than others.

Enduring chronic illness is 'doing' an awful lot. The skills and patience required are huge and all encompassing as you constantly shift gears to seek what will work for that particular days challenges. It is more than a full time job. Trouble is ... I haven't seen a paycheck yet for the duty ~

But with luck and blessing perhaps we will find our niche' in the work world - bringing to the picture a good amount of skills crafted in the process of coping. Creative works such as knitting can be such an excellent mode of fostering a fair bit of healing in of themselves -- people do use art and creativity to this end all through history. It sometimes seems to me that life's good times and life's challenging or difficult times enable us to experience new insights toward compassion and kindness...hopefully there are windows of respite between difficult times to absorb the lessons and how we might help others in similar situations. Or if not help others in our awareness - I'm quite certain we do a fair bit of teaching in our patient persistence in spite of obstacles - to those that view us in our situation. Sometimes that can foster new friendships -- but granted sometimes people shy away from those suffering. In any event I am inspired to seek out something that can utilize my skill set from this thread. If it ends up that 'maintaining' ADL's and improving health as possible through nutritious eating, hydration, exercise etc... is my full time 'job' -- well I'll embark upon an acceptance mode...pinch pennies....and keep on keeping on -- Something always happens to the good in life -- nothing ever stays the same... for this I am truly grateful!

The knitting might sell well on etsy.

I will admit that when I'm putting my focus on working on setting up my ebay store I feel really well.

It's a place to focus my mental energy and really feel like I'm putting myself into something productive. I'm just a little discouraged that it hasn't taken off any better than it has.

I have a little difficulty with the post office just with my anxiety. My heart pounds and I get light headed when I go in there but I swear it's my nerves. As soon as I get waited on I calm way down and almost feel normal.

It is possible to have items picked up directly from your home to mail-I just don't trust myself yet with shipping prices and worry that I would underpay and the post office would just toss the item and then I'd be in big trouble with my customer.

Lieze - I'm wondering if you could get a good, accurate scale to help with the postage. If you have the correct weight, you can look up the postage online very easily. Another option for mailing is to use the different size boxes the post office has that can be any weight for a certain amount, as long as it fits in the box.