Sensory Overload?

houswoea

I'm sorry I keep asking you guys things, I'm just really trying to figure out what I need to worry about and what is POTS.

So I had another pretty bad "spell" as they call it and I tried to notice what was happening.

Do you guys ever just lay down with the lights off and cover your ears and try not to move? Like any slight movement, noise, light or any sort of stimulation makes your heart totally freak out? It's a lot like children who have sensory integration issues, I think, from what I have seen.

What is that?? Some sort of adrenaline problem? I can't find much about it on the internet.

hmmm...i dont know if this helps butttttt

i went to a therapists over the summer and told her about my POTS and also told her of my sensory issue problems. I told her that i was super sensitive to light, sound, and even touch. she informed me about a disorder called aspbergers syndrome and she says that alot of my body make up, such as floppy blood vessels, lanky body, bad posture, low blood pressure, fast heart rate are all the biological make up of someone with aspbergers. The disorder is a sensory problem and usually the sensory issues are that of them being overwhelming.

when i go to bed i take sleep aids. at first while im in bed my body gets so antsy but after 30 minutes or so im out like a light.

Huh, interesting! I work with kids with Asperger's sometimes. That kind of sensory issue is more like "I won't eat mangoes because I can't stand the texture, I can't wear shirts with tags because it rubs me too much, I can't be around too much noise because my mind doesn't filter it".

The thing that happens to me is few and far between and started when the rest of these things started. There are just times when my heart will race uncontrollably and it just gets worse when there is stimulation. It lasts about an hour or two. I have heard people talk about things like this before on this forum :)

But I love kids with Asperger's, they are so fun!

Huh, interesting! I work with kids with Asperger's sometimes. That kind of sensory issue is more like "I won't eat mangoes because I can't stand the texture, I can't wear shirts with tags because it rubs me too much, I can't be around too much noise because my mind doesn't filter it".

The thing that happens to me is few and far between and started when the rest of these things started. There are just times when my heart will race uncontrollably and it just gets worse when there is stimulation. It lasts about an hour or two. I have heard people talk about things like this before on this forum :)

But I love kids with Asperger's, they are so fun!

idk if I actually do have it. It could be just another person being so sure in having figured out what was actually wrong with me when all along it was actually POTS. I was also misdiagnosed with marphans and a bunch of other things before I was diagnosed with pots. I know what you mean though, i have a hard time with the feelings in my hands between cold and hot and sometimes even numb. How do sleep aids work for you??

People with Asperger's often have trouble with social cues or communication. that is the hallmark of the condition... if that helps :)

And I love sleeping pills, but I get scared I will be addicted or that I will need help in the night and not be able to tell anyone or realize it because I am too sleepy. This has happened before and it freaks me out!

I can definitely relate to what you are saying. I can't tolerate much excitement at all these days. I avoid parties or gatherings because just being in the room with a group of people who are laughing and talking and talking to me can send me into overload. I can't focus on what anyone is saying and will get very dizzy and lightheaded....often my heart will zoom as well. Not sure why this happens - I always assumed it was my bodies' inability to tolerate adrenaline......that I release way too many catecholamines during adrenaline release? I have the hyperadergenic form of POTS. Anyway, I now will avoid crowded restaurants, stores, etc. and do my socializing in very small groups, shop off-hours or go to restaurants with the senior citizens when it's nice and quiet B)

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter has started displaying symptoms of what I define as sensory overload, the medical definition is not the same. She started 7th grade this year. The day after the first pep rally, her body just shut down. She was like a zombie the whole weekend. She started having migraines that same weekend, began showing signs of severe anxiety and began acting like a child. After a week and a half she began showing a dramatic improvement. By the end of the second week, she was almost back to her usual self. Then another pep rally and it started all over again, but more ferocious. We stopped her participation in pep rally; however, she is very sensitive to any stimulation. This includes singing in church and being around the loud youth group. Every time she overloads she becomes a five y/o (she is really 12) and is really sensitive to everything. I am glad you posted your information. This is the first I have seen some one else with a similar issue.

My son has the sensory overload too. He is 14 with POTS and hyper-mobility. He has headaches everyday with migraines often. At first when he complained about lights, noise etc; I was thinking more along the line of migraines but then we started having issues going shopping, going to any store for like 15 - 20 minutes, going out to eat. After becoming over-stimulated, he is extremely cranky almost like two year old and becomes very angry at almost anything. We have learned to listen to his body. For instance if he is tired we do not even try going out. Since we have started being aware of how he is feeling we have not experienced as many episodes of him becoming over-stimulated. But one thing for sure it is not easy on anyone when they become over-stimulated because you never know what will trigger their outburst.

Good luck figuring out how to make life easier on your daughter.