I Was Dx'D With Emphysema 2 1/2 Years Ago

lissy

I got the Dx when I was rushed to the hospital and had a CT scan over 2 years ago but was told it was mild like 2 small spots and to quit smoking it probally would have never even been found if I wasn't having the shortness of breath and bizarre POTS symptoms, so I was told to quit smoking and take care I didn't need treatment or anything and I just didn't take it to serious until yesterday I was online reading and came across a some sites saying prognosis with emphysema is like 4 years I was never told that!!!!the nurse actually told me if I don't quit smoking I'd need oxygen at 45 and I am 31 now. So I took it as I could quit soon and I'd be fine? Does anyone know the true prognosis I haven't smoked in 24 hours and I am really worried if its too late anyway... I can't help from compulsively thinking about this someone please shed some light.

ALSO I thought I was pretty young to have this disease 29 at the time of dx and had the alpha-1 test that was neg but I also found EDS having something to do with emphysema ???? anyone know of this?

Lissy

I got the Dx when I was rushed to the hospital and had a CT scan over 2 years ago but was told it was mild like 2 small spots and to quit smoking it probally would have never even been found if I wasn't having the shortness of breath and bizarre POTS symptoms, so I was told to quit smoking and take care I didn't need treatment or anything and I just didn't take it to serious until yesterday I was online reading and came across a some sites saying prognosis with emphysema is like 4 years I was never told that!!!!the nurse actually told me if I don't quit smoking I'd need oxygen at 45 and I am 31 now. So I took it as I could quit soon and I'd be fine? Does anyone know the true prognosis I haven't smoked in 24 hours and I am really worried if its too late anyway... I can't help from compulsively thinking about this someone please shed some light.

ALSO I thought I was pretty young to have this disease 29 at the time of dx and had the alpha-1 test that was neg but I also found EDS having something to do with emphysema ???? anyone know of this?

Lissy

I don't know the true prognosis, but those spots should have scared the crap out of you, Lissy. I am so proud that you're trying to quit now. It's NEVER too late. It would have been better to stop then, but stopping now is better than tomorrow. Consider Nicorette or some other nicotine gum to help you through the worst of it. I would make an appt. with a pulmonologist to have another look and get a real prognosis. Let us know about your progress. Hang in there

HUGS-

Julie

You can do this. You HAVE to quit smoking. I've seen my best friend's dad die from emphysema and it's horrible... mack's mom is right--it's scary! Make a commitment to yourself, and get help if you need it.

although I don't appreciate the home page picture. Its a near death young man in the hosp with his 4 year

old son present. the site

www.whyquit.com

has lots of good info- links, forums.

It was indeed a big help for me. The "Junkie" thoughts page was key.

My downfall was the thought "I deserve a cigarette". When I changed that to,

"I deserve the best, possible, health" I finally quit. Been 7 years.

When I say I probably tried to quit 200 times, I'm not kidding. The year I quit I decided I would

not stop trying until I succeeded. People would ask me, "So, are you a smoker or a nonsmoker today."

My 10th atemptt that year was June 11th. It was my first attempt after identifying the hook

that got me ,smoking again,on all the previous attempts.

I did use the patch.

wishing you sucess.......

Good luck--quitting might be one of the best things you can do for yourself, and your family.

My mother in law died at 81, after a lifetime of smoking, and smoking-related illnesses that caused a great deal of discomfort and ill health. She was otherwise quite healthy and probably would have lived longer, and definitely healthier, if she could have quit.

It's not too late for you!

There's a big difference between wanting and craving a cigarette. Its difficult to sort

out. However the quick and easy answer is, I stopped wanting a cigarette the day I quit.

It is why I was successful. Not to evade your question but you need to dig your heels in

and make the craving irrelevant.

The price of withdrawal is much less then the price of emphysema . Which one are you

going to pay? You are going to pay one.

Now with that said, in 3 days my complexion improved, in a week the visible broken capillary

on my nose (which I put makeup on everyday) faded. In about 9 days -post patch- I started to have

moments normalcy. Also in 9 days my BP dropped some. For 3 months I required "something". I had an

ice cream cone every day for 3 months. HA it was my "something to look forward to enjoying" which

smoking had been.

So I will add that the first nine days -post patch- I had no brains - unable to focus on anything.

After 3 months I was relatively normal. The craving tapers off. Its gradual. At 3 months I still

wanted one. I think about a minute a day. The craving can feel strong but disappear after a

couple seconds. During the moment of the craving you think only a cigarette will stop it.

Not true, it will pass shortly.

An on-line support group is a good idea for you. You can get all your questions answered and

more reliable answers too.

Lastly tho. I guarantee that if you go back to smoking you will have to repeat what you have

-so far- behind you. Do you want to go though that again? Do not risk that!

you go!~