Compression Garments-What Works Best?

jem15

I never tried the whole compression garments thing due to my heat intolerance, and just thought they'd be too uncomfortable. Recently, my legs/feet have been more bluish and I've been feeling worse, so I'm desperate enough to give it a try now that the cooler weather is coming. I'm also wondering if it will help with the unidentified leg/foot pain I have when I stand or walk for short periods.

Out of those of you who used them and find they helped, what kinds seem to work best? what's most comfortable? and where did you get them/what's the cost? I'm wondering if abdominal stuff is better or more tolerable to use then those that go down the legs? or are they less effective.

Or I heard the one Dr. mention Spanx, and I'm wondering it that might be better to use, since they have the abdominal part, and can also go either to mid thigh or to calve? don't know if they'd be more or less tolerable than traditional compression garments?

You may want to do a 'search' for compression hose/garments on the site because they've been discussed a lot before. Usually the best ones are to the waist, and you can get them with an open toe to let some air in. They are pretty hot, if you get ones from the medical supply store. My cardiologist wrote me a prescription for two pairs, so my insurance would pay for them. They measure you and get the perfect fit just for you.

Other options include Spanx or other garments meant to 'hold you in', and you can get these in various lengths. What works for one person might not be the best option for you. Compression hose seem to really help quite a few on this forum, but unfortunately didn't do much for me.

Good luck. If you want the brand and specifics of the kind I wore, just PM me.

Jana

You can do a search and see a couple of excellent threads on this.

I find compression that includes my torso is good when I'm more symptomatic.($125) Otherwise I use just a girdle like compression.($30) The full one is by veronique, the shorter one is by RAGO. You have to try several things and figure what compression pressure and fabric you can tolerate and what combination is best and when.

I find JUZO compression pantyhose at 30-40mm level to be the best for me. ($125)

I don't have normal sweating in my legs so I am not bothered as much as some. I sweat more on my chest and face.

Spanx is more weak and I think, used to "smooth things" in normal bp people. These and other store brands offer no adequate support and so I don't bother with these. I may be alot bulker with my combination but my quality of life is better with them.

best regards,

tearose

I'm horrible with the application process of donning these things! I bought a garment at Macy's and took it back as I could not get the thing up my forearm...let alone my body. So nix on the body garments. Next I went to the pharmacy and told the woman I have a terrible time with my hands and doing these type things....so I have a pair of 15 to 20 knee highs -- a pair of 20 -30 knee highs and a pair of 15 to 20 panty hose. They are Jobst. Insurance paid for the two most expensive. I quite literally could not manage the 30-40..... I guess it's the hypermobile hands. And trigger finger in my right hand. Or I'm just weak. Anyway I felt like a wimp and thought they wouldn't really do much to help me at these low compression readings -- but as hard as they are for me to don and take off .... well they have got to be doing something.... so I wear them to work. And I can't wait to peel them off when I get home. I'm going to look for a desk job soon as this standing stuff as a chef now is killing me. I have worse pain because of it -- and my vitals get weird on occasion too. But till then it's me and my not so strong compression sox - that truly feel like they are helping - well at least with vein varicosities if nothing else. I don't think it matters if you are normo-weight, thin or obese -- these stinkers are just a chore to apply!

I agree these can be a physical workout donning!!

A suggestion yo consider: Go to a special / surgical pharmacy where you can be measured for the correct size and "treat" yourself to the best fitted & made pair. They should bring you relief, not discomfort!

Thanks for the info. Ha, wow a lot of things to consider I didnt even know about. And good idea to do a search, I forget you can do that on here. I didnt know you can get them specially fitted, ha, or that they seem to be so hard to get on! I can totally see myself having issues with that. Maybe I'll start with a lighter, cheaper pair, cause if I cant tolerate that, might not be worth it to go more hardcore;-) really curious though if it'll make a difference. Fluids, salt , and other POTS treatments never had, but my circulation issues seem more apparent than ever now, so worth a try. Thanks for the tips, alot to look into before making a choice:-)

jobst has an econo brand. They are fine, but the 100.00 plus ones have silicone in the weave which helps

alot getting them on. The gloves are a must and I would try the medium compression (20-30) if

getting the 30-40mg on is to hard. I LOVE mine , I would not have been able to work without them.

I find it helpful to baby power the but t in hot weather.