My Sleep Schedule Is Backwards

Crow

:angry:

Somehow I've gotten on a schedule where I go to bed between 6am and 8am. I've always tended towards being a night person but this is ridiculous.

I've tried taking my meds at different times.

I've tried not sleeping, so I'm ready for sleep the next day at a "proper" time.

I've tried drinking a couple beers at night but all that did was make me feel terrible the next day and unable to get out of bed. Brilliant.

It's not really that much of an issue since I've been unable to work my job anymore anyway, except that I'm getting EVEN LESS done on this schedule and I'm missing out on sitting outside in some nice weather now that it has cooled down!

It was so hot this summer I've been stuck inside and I want to enjoy some fresh air haha.

The only way I've been able to flip my schedule is by going to bed later and later over the course of a few weeks. In fact, I just switched my schedule around last week sometime. I was going to bed like you at 6-8AM and now I'm finally waking up at like 5AM. It took a while to do this of course and the worst schedule is when you are waking up at 8PM! haha

It looks like either you have non-24 hour sleep wake syndrome (no, its not a joke) or you have just reversed your circadian rhythm. You can shift it back, but its going to be painful. If you really want to shift, there are two ways to do it, pick the easier one for you. You can either push your new "bedtime" later by one hour, every two-three days till you get to "normal" or you can pull it back. If you pull it backwards, you'll need to let yourself go for a day or two and find your natural wake-up point now...this is what you'll work from, not bedtime. When you wake, turn on as many lights as possible and stay near them for at least an hour. Every two to three day, back up your waking time by an hour adjusting your bedtime as you go. Don't sleep in or it will break the cycle shift and once you get to where you want to be, you have to rigidly hold your schedule there, or you'll lapse back. Go easy on yourself and don't feel guilty about it. This is hard stuff (I KNOW) and might mess you up autonomically, so be careful! :(

I have enlisted the help of my general practitioner when this happens to me. I will take a short course of sleep meds, and also make sure to do a few good "sleep hygiene" steps: 1. take a warm/hot shower (as long as my bp is good), which in turn kicks in your body's natural system to cool off, and a body temp drop is part of the sleep cycle. 2) don't engage in activities that rev me up before sleep, like video games, excited conversation, physical activity. 3) keep room temp cool and 4) very dark. I also have use a fan in the bedroom which I only turn on when it's time to sleep so my body associates it with sleep. Then I take my meds, and get to bed. Sometimes it takes me up to a week to get it straightened out...my body sometimes fights the meds.

Drinking alcohol will interfere with your sleep cycle and is not the best plan.

:angry:

Somehow I've gotten on a schedule where I go to bed between 6am and 8am. I've always tended towards being a night person but this is ridiculous.

I've tried taking my meds at different times.

I've tried not sleeping, so I'm ready for sleep the next day at a "proper" time.

I've tried drinking a couple beers at night but all that did was make me feel terrible the next day and unable to get out of bed. Brilliant.

It's not really that much of an issue since I've been unable to work my job anymore anyway, except that I'm getting EVEN LESS done on this schedule and I'm missing out on sitting outside in some nice weather now that it has cooled down!

It was so hot this summer I've been stuck inside and I want to enjoy some fresh air haha.

Wow, this sounds like me. I end up going to sleep between 4-6 am. I have also tried staying awake to go to bed early, but then I get a huge amount of energy around the time I should go to sleep. Saturday, I took a 3 hour nap so I could get up and watch the Alabama Penn State game that came on at 1 am my time. I stayed up all of Sunday and I still couldn't go to sleep until 4 this morning. I was awake over 24 hours with only 3 hours sleep and I still couldn't force myself to go to sleep. It's really frustrating. I dont know what to do at this point to get on a more regular schedule. The few times I have taken something to go to bed early I end up sleeping forever and waking up at my regular 2-3 in the afternoon. Anyone have any suggestions?

wow, this sounds like me. I end up going to sleep between 4-6 am. I have also tried staying awake to go to bed early, but then I get a huge amount of energy around the time I should go to sleep. Saturday, I took a 3 hour nap so I could get up and watch the Alabama Penn State game that came on at 1 am my time. I stayed up all of Sunday and I still couldn't go to sleep until 4 this morning. I was awake over 24 hours with only 3 hours sleep and I still couldn't force myself to go to sleep. It's really frustrating. I dont know what to do at this point to get on a more regular schedule. The few times I have taken something to go to bed early I end up sleeping forever and waking up at my regular 2-3 in the afternoon. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reread the answers Firewatcher and Mighty Mouse provided. As tough as it is that is the only real way to do it. If you don't have a GP for a sleep med, you can take a Benadryl (I hope it is available in Switzerland) or Melatonin (use with caution with dysautonomia - take half of a 3 mg pill the first time you try it).

I know it feels lousy to be sleep deprived.

all the best,

noreen

Still awake haha.

Thanks so much for your replies - very very helpful!!!

I don't have medical insurance, since I had to stop working, so I need to take care of this on my own / without additional meds. I'm going to try staying up later & gradually flip it. Going to bed earlier doesn't work on me. I just lay there until my body thinks it's the right time. :wacko:

My LTD insurance claim was recently approved :) so I'll have some $ soon & I plan to get a light box & use that in the mornings too. Not a fan of bright light so it should be interesting.

I'm on the computer a lot, since it is my only socialization :( at this time. I wonder if having laptop light in my face all the time is screwing me up too?

Thanks again. :)

Hi Crow~

I have odd sleeping patterns too, but mine are switched around from yours. I go up to bed at 5-5:30 pm, read, and fall asleep between 6:30 to 7:30pm. I get this weird 'sick' feeling, like I hit a wall, and just can't stay up any longer. Then I'm tossing and turning until I get up between 5:30 - 6:30am (sometimes as early as 4:30, ugh). I would love to be able to stay up like I used to, until 10 pm or so, but I just can't do it. Really puts a damper on any social life....Then I lie down and try to take an hour nap after lunch.

Re the computer, yes, that's definitely stimulating your brain, making it harder to fall asleep. Try to get off the computer a couple of hours before bed and read or take a hot bath.

Good luck,

J

You sound like me regarding the heat--I have had to stay indoors since around May because of the heat. I think it is vitally important to go outside, even for 5 minutes, first thing in the morning so that the sunlight will stimulate the pineal gland. This is what sets your awake/sleep cycle. I'm not saying it is a perfect fix, but it would be important for daylight to hit your eyes first thing in the morning to get your own melatonin production on a regular cycle.

I have no curtains and lots of windows in our living room(live in the country), so I get lots of light right away when I get up, but do sometimes step outside and face the morning sun.

At a minimum, look up information on sleep hygiene. It's based on solid research/evidence. All of the stuff you do with following the sleep instructions are free. I only gave you a few basics, but others include not using your bed or bedroom for anything other than sleep (and that "other" stuff that happens in the bedroom ;) )--that means no TV in bed, no reading in bed, etc. It's part of training your body to associate sleep with that location.

So if you need to lay down, but not sleep during the day, consider the couch instead.