And the winner is...

Merrill

Merrill, I don't know how claustrophobic you might be...if it is a lot you can ask to have an OPEN MRI where you are not in the "capsule". I had an open one for 3 MRIs at the same time....(NEVER do that!!).....anyway, the open one is OK but it too is noisy. Because ANY stimulation, especially noise, causes an over reaction I am best to use the sedative. They are all short acting. Oh, the open MRI takes a little longer than the closed one.

I would suggest you call the place where you are having the MRI done and ask if they administer any sedatives. If it is the hospital where you are going they will probably put the valium in your IV (with dr. orders)...I like this the best because it is immediate, you do the test and by the time you are finished the med has pretty much run its course. If it is somewhere they can't administer drugs then you need to take a pill before the test. I take Ativan 45 minutes before I have an "event" that I need it for and it lasts maybe 4 hours.

There are lots of good suggestions here and you have sorted through them well...just don't over think it!! I mean that in the best possible way. I know what you mean when you say you would rather that things stay the way they are versus learn something new that is wrong. I think that is a normal reaction so don't beat yourself up for it. Just do the best you can to stay in the present and don't anticipate the next steps. So hard to do, I know but you seem very strong. You can do it Merrill!

HI Merrill, I have had 7 MRI's. One was a complete body scan, which took alooong time. I thought I would have problems so the first one I took valium. I have not since and usually sleep through them. I have major fatique problemsBut it would be hard if you are in a lot of pain and it is difficult to sit still. I have had a hard time when I was not allowed to swallow for a period of time. On my last one I ahd a hard time breathing while I was flat and thought i was not going to make it, but I did. hope this info helps. Good luck and I am sorry to hear you are having spinal problems.

Dawn

Merrill,

Just got back from a weekend trip and read your news. So sorry you have to go through more health stuff. I have never had an MRI (but jeez, a lot here have had multiple ones -- I don't understand why?) but my mom just had one and said the Xanax made her even more anxious. I would opt for Ativan.

Hope your docs get you figured out quickly and that you get on the road to therapy/etc.

Take care,

Amy

Amy--did you say that about the xanax b/c your mom didn't like it? or because you know she (or you) felt better when you or she tried Atavan?

I suppose it's a moot point now, though! I filled the scrip for xanax at lunch ... I'll try 1/2 dose (.25 mg) sometime in the next couple days--probably in the evening--and see how I feel. If I'm more anxious, then forget it. I'll survive the test by sheer will; it definitely helps to know what to expect!

While I was out I also bought myself a little prezzie. Two, really. A lavendar scented eye pillow (the heavy kind w/beads inside) and a lighter weight eye covering ... I'll try em both, maybe return one. (My brother calls me a bulemic shopper since I'm constantly buying and returning things... ;) )

Merrill--hope you find the xanax works. I definitely found it useful to address short-term panic/anxiety--but everyone is different as we well know!!

Bulemic shopper?--that reminds me of an article I saw recently that indicated that compulsive shopping is now a recognized and diagnosable disorder, found mostly in women--like compulsive over-eating. I think in our very materialistic society, such a dysfunction is often seen as a joke. I wonder sometimes if our hormones/chemistry are partly responsible? A vestige of our drive to gather and horde--especially in the winter months? I say this because I see this in myself at times and I wonder--where does this come from? Why do I want to buy this--I don't need it?! OK, this is WAY off topic, but your comment made me think of this article. Perhaps briarrose can find the latest study ;)

Katherine