Mononucleosis

Lisa

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile. I do have POTS, but awhile ago I also had mononucleosis. Well for the past two says I've been doing nothing but sleeping and I just feel like my body is extremely tired. I feel like I have mono again. Does anyone know anything about this? I once heard something like once you have it, you have it forever and then it comes back. I really hope this isn't true I can't deal with this for the rest of my life, but I really don't know what else it could be, and it feels like mono. People keep telling me that maybe I have the flu but I really don't think it is, it just feels different. Plus added on to my regular POTS symptoms this is ****.

Thanks, I hope to hear from you ;)

Lisa

Lisa,

Want to hear something ironic? Well, my name is Lisa and I got POTS after having mono also! I got mono in college and then got over it. Then I got really run down a few years later and it actually reactivated - this is rare but can happen. (a "monospot" test must be done as a part of your bloodwork to diagnose)

I would have some bloodwork done to get this checked out. Hopefully you are just really run down now though and it hasn't come back!

When did you get mono the first time? How long have you had POTS? I've had it for 3 years now, wow time flies!

Hang in here and let me know if youre feeling better!

Lisa

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile. I do have POTS, but awhile ago I also had mononucleosis. Well for the past two says I've been doing nothing but sleeping and I just feel like my body is extremely tired. I feel like I have mono again. Does anyone know anything about this? I once heard something like once you have it, you have it forever and then it comes back. I really hope this isn't true I can't deal with this for the rest of my life, but I really don't know what else it could be, and it feels like mono. People keep telling me that maybe I have the flu but I really don't think it is, it just feels different. Plus added on to my regular POTS symptoms this is ****.

Thanks, I hope to hear from you :angry:

Lisa

I've had mono twice--both times were tough on me. I would be sweating and ready for a nap just from walking a few feet. It is very normal to be incredibly tired, to sleep lots, and to still feel tired when you wake up. It's like a bad POTS day times ten.

Do be careful--if you try to push through the exhaustion you can make yourself much sicker. I know that from experience. My spleen became very inflamed and then I got a secondary strep infection and ended up in the hospital for more than a week with a high fever, really sore throat and sore, swollen abdomen.

The 2nd time was 10 years later. I was a better patient that time--as soon as I got the dx, I put in a for a month of medical leave. Still took me a number of months to completely get over it, but the added exhausted did finally go away. I learned my lesson and slept as much as my body asked for the 2nd time around.

I hope that you're recovered soon. Take good care of your body--if it wants to sleep, let it. :angry: Nina

Guest Mary from OH

Lisa-

When you get Mono, you are + for the Epstein-Barr virus. When you become sick or run-down, the Epstein-Barr virus becomes activated and multiplies. This makes you very sick. It is like mimicing the symptoms of mono again, but WORSE. This can occur at any time. It's difficult to explain. I definately oversimplified it. But, it would explain your symptoms. I hope you feel better soon!!

My husband has Epstein-Barr virus and it is exactly as Mary described - when he overexerts himself for an extended period the mono-like symptoms come back and he is forced to take it easy for a while. His NCS also get's worse so the onset of a sore throat is somehwhat of an early warning signal to him that he has to back off and take better care of himself. His constant over exertion and not wanting to make accommodations to this disorder is the biggest battle in our house. It was after he was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr that the syncope started and an eventual diagnosis of NCS was reached - I believe the virus pushed his NCS symptoms into high gear but I think he had a milder version for many years beginning in his teens.