Daily Maintenance - Self

potsgirl

Hola Forum Friends~

I think something similar went around the Forum before, but my personal habits keep slipping and it's frustrating. I was used to working and showering/blow drying my hair/doing my make-up and dressing up every day. I sometimes really miss that (sometimes not), and I wonder if I made myself do a little more routine 'maintenance' if it wouldn't help me feel a little better. Anybody have thoughts?

For instance, I:

~shower about 4-5 days a week, sometimes do a 'sponge bath'. Shave 2x/week

~wash my hair probably 2 times a week, sometimes only once, when I'm really feeling sick. Then I just let it dry (that's okay, it's wavy).

~hardly ever wear make-up, unless it's a special occasion, and then it's undereye concealer and some blush (I'm so pale!)

~tend to be in my 'lounge wear' (men's pj bottoms and tees) most every day, unless I'm going out, which is only once or so a week.

Please tell me I'm not alone! I just don't have the energy anymore.

Cheers,

Jana

Hola Forum Friends~

I think something similar went around the Forum before, but my personal habits keep slipping and it's frustrating. I was used to working and showering/blow drying my hair/doing my make-up and dressing up every day. I sometimes really miss that (sometimes not), and I wonder if I made myself do a little more routine 'maintenance' if it wouldn't help me feel a little better. Anybody have thoughts?

For instance, I:

~shower about 4-5 days a week, sometimes do a 'sponge bath'. Shave 2x/week

~wash my hair probably 2 times a week, sometimes only once, when I'm really feeling sick. Then I just let it dry (that's okay, it's wavy).

~hardly ever wear make-up, unless it's a special occasion, and then it's undereye concealer and some blush (I'm so pale!)

~tend to be in my 'lounge wear' (men's pj bottoms and tees) most every day, unless I'm going out, which is only once or so a week.

Please tell me I'm not alone! I just don't have the energy anymore.

Cheers,

Jana

Hi Jana,

I also went from dressing and showering everyday. Now I take a shower and wash my hair every other day. I also let mine air dry unless its cold and I have to go out. I do wear makeup when I go out. I mix a foundation and moisturizer. Unfortunately my face is usually always red, so it is necessary to wear foundation for me. I've got the loungewear too, lol. I do try to go out at least 3 times a week. I've joined some church activities so I make myself go.

You arent alone.

Best Regards,

Natalie

Boy,I have you all beat! I tend to bathe maybe 3x weekly-- I don't sweat much,do very little activity, and it wipes it out. Washing my hair is a major event, so I do it as infrequently as I can-- I sound like the Big Bad Wolf from the Three Little Pigs story huffing and puffing after washing my hair. I just don't want to put myself through that. Luckily, I've found that my hair has adjusted to not being washed like it use to -- every other day--- and now can go 4-6 days before I absolutely have to wash it.

I, too, will put on make-up when I go out. If I don't, I'm afraid I'll scare someone. However, many times I don't add the eyeliner or eyeshadow if I'm really tired. I've also resorted to just pulling my hair back in a pony tail, which I never did prior to getting sick.

Lounge wear is my second skin! I once asked my husband if he minded me lounging around in my pjs and not wearing make-up when I felt poorly. He said no, but he did request that I brush my hair! How sad!

As for going out and socializing, that's a no-go. I'm well enough maybe 1 day out of 10 to have the energy to leave the house. I've become a recluse, but the thought of getting ready and socializing for hours is too overwhelming. This from a woman who use to be a social butterfly.

Hanging in there,

Bev

Guest tearose

You are not alone.

I too just take joy in managing to be washed up, compressed and dressed. I average every other day for the washing up lately. It has been a draining summer.

Before dysautonomia, I too was a powerhouse of energy and did my hair and makeup and goodness, was able to hop out of bed and do everything and be out of the house in thirty minutes.

It is important to like the way we feel about ourself and if makeup helps perk you up then try to stretch to manage it. I have days when I think it through and feel that the energy I save from doing my hair and makeup may be better spent making my bed and starting the washer. It all depends on what you need to feel energized and good about yourself.

I really try hard to do makeup and hair when I venture out of the house though.

Isn't it amazing that before dysautonomia we were able to just do all that and now we have to plan and prepare our basic ADL's.

I count "energy points" every day and choose how to spend my energy.

Whew, we really have lost a lot.

I'm right there with you Jana! I used to shower, wash & blow-dry hair, put on the make up & conact lenses... and hi-maintenance work clothes & heels everyday. Those days are so far gone it's sad. Now I shower every other day and air-dry my hair unless it's freezing out. A pony tail is my friend :) I live in my sweats & if I have to go out it's shorts & a tank top all summer. I hate the thought of running into someone I know too cause I feel so fat from the florinef. I was also such a social butterfly before all this! Glad I have you all to commiserate with!!

I think that's why it bothers me so much....I used to be quite the 'social butterfly' and could do several things at once and not give it a second thought. Now, it's a big day when I'm going to wash my hair, and I literally have to plan it out. It has to be a day where that's my primary (and usually only) activity that day. Then I need about 4-5 hours for my hair to really dry before I can lay down on it. I have long, very thick hair, which is both a blessing and a curse. I can't even hold my blow dryer up for longer than a minute or so, so when it does get chilly, I simply don't leave the house until it's mostly dry.

I did have permanent liner tattooed on my eyes several years ago, so I have that much make-up that's there whatever I do. Otherwise, it's just undereye concealer (anyone else with the major dark circles?) and blush. By then I'm exhausted. Doing full make-up....hmm, that'll have to be a really high energy day or a very important event for that to happen!

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. Hopefully someday we'll all be more of our social selves! If anyone has any tricks, now's the time to share....

Jana

I've always been a fairly low maintenance girl. However, yes, unfortunately I've even become even more low maintenance. I know I don't have quite as many limitations as many of you, but I have gone from being someone who was up, showered, dressed and out the door, kids in tow, first thing in the am. Now sometimes I'm making lunch and have to remind myself I haven't showered or dressed yet. Last year I wouldn't dream of dropping my daughter off at school without being showered and dressed, even though I didn't get out of the car. HA! How things change! I still try to put make-up on if I'm going out and actually getting out of the car. My tip is following Carmindy's 5 minute face! Makes all the difference in the world and it doesn't even have to take the whole 5 mins (depending on the day)! That's my tip. Love her website!

Hey yall:)

I wash hair 3 times a week I had it cut into a short style a few months ago which was easier to style and dry

I only take baths so I do that every other day sometimes when I'm having a good week I use my energy to bath daily

I wear makeup about 5 times a week I had periods of not wearing it for almost the whole week at my worst and felt horrible so I try to do it daily

I too have issues with holding the blow dryer up like a weakness in my arms or something???

When its the time of the month (nothing gets done regularly!) I'm a complete mess

I sit alot when doing self maintenance which is helpful

I get out about 3 times a week

I also read about running into ppl you know I try to avoid seeing ppl I know because I am not the same and I don't want to be looked at differently or have the whole town talking about how I look so sick or weak

I too have the dark circles under my eyes I always have since I was a child...

I read somewhere that ppl with this condition are nice looking and sleek LOL so I guess we don't have to try to hard :P

Count me into the mix. I can't take a daily shower and like the rest of you wash my hair about one time a week. I've found that sitting in the shower and sitting to blow dry and do make-up helps. From the time I undress, shower and am re-dressed it takes me 2 hours. And, this is the whole plan for the day - because I'm totally wiped out from it. Like you - sponge baths are very much a part of my routine - not complete showers. It's so sad - why can't we have just a little more energy? Here's something else - I have people come over once a week to do encouragment/religious calls and I get my shower/dress and sleep in my clothes the day before because I don't want the leisure clothes on when they come. People really don't know how bad we are!!!! Either we're really good actors or we're just learning tricks to maintain appearances. I understand how you all feel about not wanting people to see us this way - it does take away our sense of self and wreaks our self confidence. HANG IN THERE ALL --- WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER --- NONE TOTALLY ALONE!!!!!

I am so glad this topic was posted, because I have been feeling like such a slug.

All I do is wear loungewear and its not really too attractive (sweats and pjs). No makeup--only sometimes when I go out which is hardly ever (I am not able to drive at this point). I simply have no energy. Getting cleaned up and dressed is such a process. It just drains you. Crazy. It seems like such an effort. This is from a woman who showered before she went to work and when she came back home. Now if I think I can wait til tomorrow, I will wait til tomorrow. If this post is not making sense, it is because my brain is not functioning too well at the moment---forgive.

I forgot to mention I still keep buying makeup in the hopes that I will start to use it again regularly even just for myself inside the house or maybe I will get to go out more. I have to keep thinking positively. I also think I need cuter loungewear.

This is so apropos. I was "going to" shower yesterday and was too exhausted. Decided to wait till this morning... But then woke up at 4:30a with horrific vertigo & a bp of 157/100 and have been in the hospital almost 24 hours now. Am lying here thinking mostly that my hair must look nasty and my face feels greasy because I should have showered last night and couldn't! Lol. We just never know what's around the bend for us, do we?! I hate feeling self conscious. So glad to have people to say this to who get it!

I am so glad this topic was posted, because I have been feeling like such a slug.

Now if I think I can wait til tomorrow, I will wait til tomorrow. If this post is not making sense, it is because my brain is not functioning too well at the moment---forgive.

I forgot to mention I still keep buying makeup in the hopes that I will start to use it again regularly even just for myself inside the house or maybe I will get to go out more. I have to keep thinking positively. I also think I need cuter loungewear.

Your post made perfect sense to me. Your life parallels mine.

My only niece got married last month. I was able to go thankfully but in trying to get ready discovered that I had no mascara since I had given it to my son last Halloween. Now that is pathetic - I had not realized it had been that long since I wore makeup!

For two years now since all of this stuff came on .... and prior to that for five years d/t severe arthritis -- I have been on a 'hard-to-admit' decline in almost all activities of daily living. Because always something has to take a hit.

So if once or twice a month I try to do something social - well then I'll bake and 'dress-up' and that's all she wrote. I'm tapped out for a couple days.

If I work on exercise by taking long walks - then the housework doesn't get done. If I work on housework then the walks and the rest doesn't happen & I take a dive.

If I work at my job (4 hours a day about two days a week now) - I will shower and get ready - but after my first month at the job - I quit the newly donned make-up. I'm the old lady there compared to all the amazing youthful healthy ones - so why bother I think. Cuz then you have to take it all off and it's like, "I put makeup on for this?"

Since I began to sweat for the first time ever noticeably I've switched to Nike, Avia, Adidas or any kind of wicking athletic wear - so you don't see the sweat. That's my shopping outfit - with tennis shoes.

I have about 3 skirts or so I can put on to dress up - but I still wear jeans to church.

I have a very limited social life because I live in an area that's loaded with the elderly and while I'm approaching advanced age I am certainly not there yet - so few opportunities in my rural area to meet people my age.......

For the once a month social outing I do get a bit dressy (which is california casual - not dressy lol) -- put on makeup -- get horribly exhausted.......and have been known to toss down a quick glass of wine just to nudge me out the door - and I don't even like wine much.

Home loungewear is everyday wear morning till night if I have no doctors appointments - fleece pj tops and bottoms from Lands End that can be worn to the mail box and back.

Just keeping up with tidying the kitchen, the mail, the laundry, the bathroom - is over the top active and I need to lie down at least once a day for an hour or so - like a baby trying to nap - though I don't sleep.

Thank goodness for my job that I found. If it weren't for that I would be a total recluse -- it's been a very very hard past seven years -- I hope that by continuing to keep up with diet and exercise I will feel better and be inspired to get some new clothing and force myself into new situations...

I was going to jumpstart that by moving to AZ from CA - but the prospect ... you guessed it.... is just exhausting me!

I was raised to dress nicely, always have on makeup, have your home clean, your affairs in order and essentially be the bell of the ball -- wow..... Now I'm just thankful to not be on a walker any longer! But I'm walking like crazy because I'm afraid if I don't -- I'll just go down hill even worse - so everything suffers when I take time to walk....as you know activity can be a killer (even though it's supposed to be good for you) I'm 53.