Blood Letting - Blood Draw

issie

After a large blood draw, I feel a whole lot better.  I have POTS and I am suspected to have Stiff Person Syndrome and my antiGAD is high.  It always feels like something is in my blood and I have to flush it out with water constantly.  And a huge blood draw is just a little bunus that the peeing can't give me.  I don't know if this is because the antiGAD is in part being removed.  Also, I don't bruise, I don't swell, and I hardly bleed if cut.

I found out I have too thick blood.  Have 2 genetic factors that make me lean towards thick blood and blood clots.  Also had a positive marker for APS at one time.  Explains one reason why I do better to vasodilate and why a blood draw makes me feel better. Also I have genetic markers for hemochromotosis (but don't have) and blood draws lower iron levels in this illness which makes you feel better. 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel much worse after a large draw, to the point that I'm passing out left & right.   The draw itself doesn't bother me -- I've done my own draws before.  It usually starts about 5-10 minutes after the draw and lasts 1-2 days afterwards, slowly getting better over those 1-2 days.  Ugh.  I hate the feeling.  As a result, I don't get blood drawn often.  I've been at this long enough to know what various things my body does correspond do what the labs will likely show. 

• 2 years later...

I have thick blood due to protein s deficiency and I also have POTS. My dr put me on a baby aspirin but before that I would get Iv fluids and that always made me feel much better. Make sure you stay really hydrated 

This was an old post and I had forgotten about it.  We did find I had too thick blood.  Had issues with  Factor 8 and Collagen Binding and a one time positive on APS (so that is a question still).  Instead of a blood thinner, I use enzymes to keep my blood thinner.  I couldn't do the aspirin due to MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome).  But part of my problem was this and I also have to vasodilate my veins slightly and not constrict them.  With my subtype of HyperPOTS, this is a different way of dealing with my POTS than the traditional way of doing things with those with lower BP.  Mine tends to be higher.  Mild calcium channel blocking "type" medicine also helps with dilation of my veins and has been a big help when my alternative things don't work as well.  We all have very individual journeys.  What works for one won't work for another.