Chronic Illness Self-Help Books

scarfgirl

Ok, I own a few books written by people with chronic illnesses telling me how to deal with mine. There's helpful, up to a point. Problem is, these authors can all work full-time jobs and usually have very successful careers. So reading them usually makes me feel less inspired and more like I'm a failure. I mean, they often have a husband or ton of family support, health insurance, and still lead pretty active lives. While I want these people's success stories to become mine, and I'm nowhere near there yet. While I'm glad these people managed to somehow graduate from college and start a career spending every other week in the hospital, life doesn't work that way for me. I'm just not that strong.

I need a book for someone who's struggling on their own, unable to work, and having to deal with the depression/boredom that comes from lying around in bed all day and getting winded from a short lap around the house. Someone who can give advice about dealing with Medicaid and Social Security officials, and provide tips on surviving on less than $700 a month? Is there anything out there like that? I have doubts that there are, because people in my situation probably aren't up to writing books. But if anyone can recommend something, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry, things are not going well for you. The times we are living in are very hard indeed. If it's not health issues, it's money issues, or family problems - there's alot of negative things out there. I've found alot of comfort from reading a book that is very old, but very appropriate for our day. It has listed so many different situations of peoples lives and hard times they have gone through with very little materially. People who have lost EVERYTHING and whose lives were rewarded in the end. People who have become very, very sick - but remained hopeful and never gave up in their struggle. It's given me a hope for the future with beautiful words of encouragement - It's the Bible. Here are a few scriptures you can read that are very encouraging to me: Rev. 21:4 - Ps. 37:10,11,29.

And another thing is just having communication with people who may not completely understand what you are going through but who try to understand and try to give you comfort. I've found that in my religious circle of friends. And, I think also having this forum has been beneficial to me to see that I'm not alone in this journey that I seem to have to take - even if it is against my wishes.

I guess everyone that's struggled with any of life's bitter moments will cry out for relief, help, strength, a change of luck etc.... no one escapes without struggle and strife - that's for sure. The only one that can change anything about anything is you and your responses to what's going on around you (well that and prayer if you believe in the power of prayer). So if you believe you truly deserve the best life possible in your set of circumstances and you are willing to fight for what you deserve - then it's time to make a plan. Set goals and make a road map of how you will achieve those goals. It's often the myriad of little tiny things in life that add up to health or sickness for that matter. If you choose to treat your body well and keep it well hydrated and well nourished with only healthy foods most of the time - that's huge! If you do it already - congratulate yourself and keep up the good work. If your diet and hydration could be better than set small achievable goals and build on those successes. If you desire to be well - then perhaps take a shot at a small craft that you enjoy or join a little book club or bake for charity - whatever your tolerance is ... make a goal and do it. It does not ever help to compare yourself to others because there will always be someone healthier, wiser, richer, more beautiful.... Being humble is being thankful and grateful for all that you have ... all the good in your life comes by way of gift if you choose to believe that.... Gratitude is a very healthy mindset & requires practice at first...there is a great Gratitude.org website with quotes and videos etc. It bills itself as a network for grateful living I think. Exercise is vital to human living ~ so if walking around your house is allowable by your doctor then I would do that. I would also if allowable expand that to one of those videos designed to work out for those who can only sit....you can exercise with almost any malady -- it just needs to be tailored to what your doctor says is okay. Repeated regular performance of prescribed exercise helps the body in many different capacities. I personally don't doubt that people come from horrific illnesses, homelessness, abuse, estrangement, violence and rise to fruitful lives that in turn help others...in fact there are a ton of people that do just that ... Whether it be escaping a wicked cult....or a chinese orphan alone and homeless -- there are books a plenty about victory. A quick read is a book by a friend called Double Luck...by Lu Chi Fa -- It's won a bunch of awards I believe - if you love stories that are true about struggle and strife and pain that end in victory - this is just such a book. There are countless others as well......Anyway it can be healing to just blurt out your pain here on the forum ... I've done it for sure ... so good for you in sharing your heart - hoping for better days ahead for you very soon.