"tai Chi Beats Stretching In Fibromyalgia Study"

dakota

A new, albeit small, study concluded that Tai Chi helped fibromyalgia patients more than regular stretching exercises.

"Aside from reductions in pain, patients in the tai chi group reported improvements in mood, quality of life, sleep, self-efficacy and exercise capacity."

I thought that some of these symptoms are the same symptoms as people with POTS, so I wonder if Tai Chi might do something for people with POTS.

This is the news article, not the study itself: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67H5I520100818

Does anybody have any experience with tai chi?

I loved Tai Chi before PoTS hit me so hard. It requires some standing still though which could be difficult for some and all moves are done standing up. It's great for balance and very relaxing, though.

Me too. Although as your muscles develop with the routine, the standing is not really standing still. The tai chi master I took instruction with for 2 years did a tape on tai chi for wheelchair users. the exercises were excellent but the recording quality left a lot to be desired.

I have tried one other dvd on tai chi for wheelchair and found it was not as good as the exercises in the other so never stuck with it. One of my worst problems is that I could never memorize a routine enough to do it by myself without a class.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my first Tai Chi class today. I've been taking Pilates for almost two years now and it will wipe me out for 3 or 4 days after. Right now, I feel like I haven't exercised at all: my legs are getting VERY sore. I did get flushed and shaky while doing it and I was constantly moving and not in a deep, low stance. I am not sure that I will be able to continue if I get as sore as I think I am going to be. :unsure:

As easy as it looks, it isn't. :(