Do Dysautonomia Patient's Brain Mri's Look Different?

I saw a rheumatologist who read the radiology reports and he waxed poetic about the constant frustration docs have with radiologists......who are supposed to NOT diagnose. So for instance my CT said evidence of lacunar infarct and my white matter stuff was told to be of 3 likely origins or causes. The doctor said that is a FOUL! LOL - he said that radiologists are shadow readers only and need to stay shadow readers and not interject their diagnosis. He called my hyperintensities or those non-specific things UBO's.........Unidentified Bright Objects -- hahaha.... Okay I said - fine - I have a bunch of UBO's in my brain - what concerns me is I can't think my way out of a paper bag. I broke down and cried today for the number of times I lost things, dropped things, found myself doing the wrong thing, got lost, made traffic errors driving - it's never ending and very frightening.

I saw a rheumatologist who read the radiology reports and he waxed poetic about the constant frustration docs have with radiologists......who are supposed to NOT diagnose. So for instance my CT said evidence of lacunar infarct and my white matter stuff was told to be of 3 likely origins or causes. The doctor said that is a FOUL! LOL - he said that radiologists are shadow readers only and need to stay shadow readers and not interject their diagnosis. He called my hyperintensities or those non-specific things UBO's.........Unidentified Bright Objects -- hahaha.... Okay I said - fine - I have a bunch of UBO's in my brain - what concerns me is I can't think my way out of a paper bag. I broke down and cried today for the number of times I lost things, dropped things, found myself doing the wrong thing, got lost, made traffic errors driving - it's never ending and very frightening.

So, you still don't know what it means? That's so frustrating!!!! They all do the speculation of possibilities no matter where you go or where you live. It's then up to the doctor to determine which of these is the correct one with more diagnostics.

Are you still in Phoenix at the Mayo?

• 1 year later...

I have had MRI, SPECT. The MRI was normal but my SPECT showed a mild pattern of global hypoperfusion. At the time I did not have a POTS diagnosis. I strongly suspect this pattern of hypoperfusion is what is causing the majority of my POTS symptoms. I have also had a trans cranial doppler with a TTT that showed decreased blood pressure to my head (I think I stated that right). I would love a PET scan becasue I think that is even better then a SPECT but doubt I will be able to find a Dr. to order one.

I had an MRI & SPECT scan several years ago when my symptoms first started. The MRI showed an injury in the

temporal lobe (can't remember which side), gliosis, which I think means an injury to the central nervous system. The

report also showed white matter which they first thought might be MS or Alzheimers but later ruled out both. My

memory was terrible then & 25 years later I can't tell it's gotten worse except for things that happen with normal aging.

The only thing I remember about the SPECT report is that it said my brain was not symetrical. I have no idea what

that means.

Add me to the list of those with abnormal brain MRI's. I have a menigioma of the left frontal lobe and also white matter with flares. They never commented on the white matter with flares, but I know the menigioma is a brain tumor. I also have some abnormal vessels around my brain stem area that they think are like enlarged vessels, but don't appear to be at a rupture stage. I have to get MRI's to watch the brain tumor on a yearly basis. It is enlarging from the last one by 2cm. Which is pretty fast. If I start having issues they will go in and take it out. Otherwise it's a wait and see and watch.