Infuriating Dr

nmorgen

I have hyperadrenergic POTs. My grandmother and my mother both have similar symptoms. Today my grandmother went to her dr, because the dizziness has gotten really bad. She mentioned to the dr that I had been diagnosed with Hyper POTs. The dr told her that she couldn't have POTs unless she had a spinal cord injury and that my POTs was caused by my scoliosis. :( WHAT!?! So now having scoliosis means you have a spinal cord injury? And you have to have a spinal cord injury inorder to have POTs?

Thanks Angela,

Hopefully her dr just misunderstood what she was talking about. My mother is going with her on Monday and will talk to the dr about POTS. Fr now my grandmother is on bedrest, because she is feeling so bad.

Pott's disease is extrapulmonary Tuberculosis (ie TB but the infection is outside the lungs, often in the spine).

I think that your grandmother's doctor probably does understand that you have POTS as in autonomic dysfunction but that he/she doesn't understand that there are many causes for POTS (most of which are unknown). People with spinal cord injuries often have autonomic problems due to their cord injury. In fact Prof Mathias the UK POTS expert did a lot of his research on spinal cord injuries.

It would be very unusual for scoliosis to cause a spinal cord injury!

I hope that your family are able to explain things to your grandmother's doctor and that she gets the right tests and treatment to get her feeling better.

Flop

Pott's disease is extrapulmonary Tuberculosis (ie TB but the infection is outside the lungs, often in the spine).

I think that your grandmother's doctor probably does understand that you have POTS as in autonomic dysfunction but that he/she doesn't understand that there are many causes for POTS (most of which are unknown). People with spinal cord injuries often have autonomic problems due to their cord injury. In fact Prof Mathias the UK POTS expert did a lot of his research on spinal cord injuries.

It would be very unusual for scoliosis to cause a spinal cord injury!

I hope that your family are able to explain things to your grandmother's doctor and that she gets the right tests and treatment to get her feeling better.

Flop

RE the two types of (pots and potts) ...

Hi flop, how would something like this type of "potts" be diagnoesed if you have a spinal injury, i find it interesting what you are saying, as i have heard before that spinal injuries in the thoracic spine where the autonomic and sympathetic nerve are carried can cause postural orthostatic pots like symptoms , tachycardia ,fatigue, dizzyness, all the symptoms of pots... do you know how this would be diagnosed and how the doctors differentiate the two .... ?

Pott's disease is diagnosed by testing for Tuberculosis and spinal X-rays. Pott's disease is not an autonomic problem and does not cause autonomic symptoms.

POTS due to spinal cord injury would be tested for exactly the same as other causes for POTS (ie tilt table testing showing tachycardia during the head up tilt).

Flop