Medical Alert Bracelet

Hi so my PCP wants me to wear a medical alert bracelet. I am wondering does anyone of you wear this? If you do, do you put the abbreviation POTS or the whole long name: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome on the bracelet? I wonder if the EMT will actually know what POTS is if they see it... Any suggestion?

Didn't have room for the whole thing, I have POTS on mine. I also have heart patient on as well as my meds. EMT's won't have a clue I'm sure but at least they'll know it's a cardiac problem likely occuring. ER doctors will be able to at least google it! I have the sport band and a necklace. They hit me up for buy one get one 1/2 off toward the end of my order. Can't pass up a deal.

Brye

Just another thing to consider... An Paramedic was talking to our group (bleeding disorder educational weekend) about the importance of medic bracelets. He also told us about adding a contact to our cell phones under " ICE " which stands for "In Case of Emergency". Most medics know to look on a cell phone if for some reason they cant locate a bracelet , etc. Under " ICE " you list your full name as "my name is " and then Dr.'s numbers and emergency contact number. On our cell phone there is also and area for notes so that pulls up as well. We list the condition. Its just another back up plan.

I found something a little different to use for my identification. You can find these sturdy, webbed with velcro bracelets online under 'Road ID'. They have a stainless steel plate on the front, which gives you 6 lines of information. They're comfortable, and you can pick your color. They're also about $20. I love mine, and it's lasted for over a year and is still in excellent shape. Very easy to read and for someone to find. They have examples on their website, but I have my name, my doctor and hospital's name, my ICE name and all of their phone numbers including my diagnoses.

Just an idea!

Cheers,

Jana

Thanks everyone. I think I'll put down something like 1. my name 2. diagnose 3. Refer to iPod!

Here's a deal I found on Lauren's Hope if anyone's interested:

Have a BLOG or WEBSITE?

If you own a WEBSITE or publish a BLOG, we welcome you to link to www.laurenshope.com. If you mention Lauren's Hope on your blog or website and post a permanent link to us, email the URL to: links@laurenshope.com. Once the link has been verified you will receive a 1 time $50 gift certificate.

(http://blog.laurenshope.com/)

Thanks for the laurenshope.com lead - they have nice bracelets.

I use medicalert and the lady there recommended I put "hyeradrenergic POTS" (which actually fit!) - if you have the same Dx - they may not know POTS but the Drs should be able to get a clue from hyperadrenergic and google the rest! I also got the basic bracelet with the plaque that has holes on either side. My dad cut off the ugly chain and I beaded my own nice looking bracelet (like the ones on laurenshope.com with the 2 lobster claw ends) for $12 with stuff from AC Moore.

But if it just says pots they will understand? Or should it say dysautonomia instead?

I think I end up putting "Dysautonomia: POTS" and I have the full dx with all the medication, allergies, doc's name, phone....etc. on my iPod. I think they'll have enough info to at least call my doc. if something happens

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...