Where Can I Find An "affordable" Cooling Vest.

You could probably sew your own vest and then buy the inserts; maybe even use inserts that are not intended for cooling vests, but are gel packs you find at the pharmacy and/or camping supply

Hi,

I have a hyperkewl vest from Amazon. They are 39.99 plus shipping. It is the type you soak in water and it cools through evaporation. It's a little muggy but it's affordable and it helps. I have not tried the more expensive ones myself. Good luck.

Sewing your own vest is a great idea, but I'd purchase the cool pack inserts from Coolsport (or similar) instead of using regular ice packs. The advantage is clear - regular ice packs freeze at 32 degrees, while the cool packs are filled with a "semi-liquid" that freezes at 62 degrees.

Since the freezing point of the cool packs is much closer to ambient temperature, they refreeze much faster, and last much longer than ice packs. Typically, they can be refrozen in as little as 45 minutes in a freezer, or only 20-30 minutes in ice water. They also keep cooling for two to even three hours while worn in the heat, and the coolness is moderate and steady at 62 with minimal condensation, as opposed to the shocking cold of 32 with quick melting.

Each of the four packs included in a set is comprised of 8 little squares (4x2), each 2 1/2" x 2 1/2", so the entire pack is somewhat flexible when worn, instead of the big solid block of an ice pack. You can get a set of four for $100.

I didn't want to spend the $180($160+shipping) for the Cool Sport phase change vest right away, so I first just bought their neckerchief thing for about $32($20+shipping) and it wasn't as cool as I thought it'd be. I guess it's better than nothing, just to have a little spot of cool on you, but it warms up quickly, and since it's not ice, doesnt get that cold. I dont know, maybe I'd need to wrap another round my waist or something to notice more of a difference.

Then I found this link http://www.activemsers.org/tipstricks/choo...oolingvest.html

and it compares the different types of cooling vest options out there. After reading that, and comparing more prices.. I decided to try out the ice vests instead of the phase change, in hopes it would be cooler. I did hear they can get wet as the ice packs melt, and take a longer time to freeze, but since I wasn't loving the phase change neck thing, I decided to give the KoolMax "ice vest" a try cause it was $110($110+shipping)from MSsolutions, so a little cheaper. I also figured I could try putting the ice packs in ziploc baggies and even line it w/ a papertowel if needed, inside the vest pockets, and see if that helps the wetness. I only tried the vest once, without any baggies/towels, and some wetness occured, but not too much, but the pockets were lined on one side to absorb some of it, and I mightve only had it on for an hour. I had to take off the vest cause one of the ice packs was leaking, had a rip in it. They sent replacements which I just got, so I'm gonna try the vest again soon. I'll see how it goes and if my "baggie theory" helps at all.

It seems that the ice vests are supposedl to have the greatest cooling capacity, but the phase change is better if youre skin gets sensitive from the cold and want to maintain a consistent temp., or if you want to recharge quicker in ice water, or not worry about any wetting through. Other evaporative vests work by putting them in water , but those supposedly are the least cooling, and kinda annoying to do. But I guess it depends on what your preferences/priorities are, what youre looking to get out of it. We'll see if I wind up liking the Koolmax vest...

I saw some really nice vests online but just can't afford them right now. Does anyone know where I can find one cheaper than that or perhaps a used one?

These ice blankets are worth a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7QGT...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

They are certainly better than nothing. I've only used one of these I had bought from the grocery store for $10 in a pinch. Obviously amazon's is a much better deal. I could envision using industrial velcro on the inside of a man's tailored shirt or a windbreaker and on these to hold them in place to get some relief.

Just an idea - at the least you'll be able to use them for coolers for your family.

I didn't want to spend the $180($160+shipping) for the Cool Sport phase change vest right away, so I first just bought their neckerchief thing for about $32($20+shipping) and it wasn't as cool as I thought it'd be. I guess it's better than nothing, just to have a little spot of cool on you, but it warms up quickly, and since it's not ice, doesnt get that cold. I dont know, maybe I'd need to wrap another round my waist or something to notice more of a difference.....

Really? I got them for about ten bucks+ shipping on Amazon..Dont' remember the brand name though. I think it' s 'evercoo'l?

I found the best way to work with them is to have several and cool them in a bowl of water with ice for about a half an hour-or more if you can spare it. Then I put one on and when I feel it's losing it's cool;) I trade it for a fresh one and put the warmer one back in the cold water. It's not as good as a cooling vest i'm sure, but at least it helps.

I didn't take them with me last time I went to watch a play in the park and I got sick. So I got this flexible plastic cooler, you know like you keep lunch in and I'm going to keep a couple of them in there with ice packs around them when I go out from now on. It's good that it's a small lunch pack kind of thing cause that way I can just bring it in the stores with me so the ice packs won't melt . I could shove my wallet in my pocket., and It'll just look like a weird purse.LOL ..I think it's a good plan..I'll see how it works.;)

Wow, that's great you found them cheaper. I looked around, but couldnt find much, ah well. Maybe cause it was for the actual vest and stuff, not just the packs? And yea, I was thinking of carrying a little lunch cooler to keep spare packs, didnt know if it'd work, worth a try though!

http://www.amazon.com/Flexi-Freeze-Ice-Ves...ref=pd_sbs_sg_1 You could give this a try. They also sell additional ice replacement panels for $20. At $80 and free shipping it's the cheapest cooling vest that I have seen.

You don't have to be able to sew to make a vest-- you can buy two inexpensive vests, lay them together and use hem tape, which is an iron-on product, between them to make the pockets. The tape I use is the heavy duty version of "stitch witchery" and can be found at any sewing supply or craft store