Furnishing Us Apartment

persephone

Hello all. Just over a month til I move to the US. My apartment will have very minimal furniture. So I need to ask you,

WHERE do I go for furniture bargains? I want my apartment to be lovely and homely. But I don't have a bottomless pit of money.

In particular, I will need a comfy sofa to lie on on those POTSy days...

A table, chairs, a rug, that type of thing.

People have suggested target and ikea to me, but even their prices seem quite steep compared to the UK for some things.

Do many second hand sales happen in the US? Do you folks use freecycle?

So many questions!!!

Thanks in advance xx

When my husband was relocated by the military, it was several months before he could have housing, so he took an apartment and waited to get his stuff. He furnished the whole thing, dishes, furniture and all from Good Will or Salvation Army stores. I wouldn't get a bed or sofa there, but there is also a place called Big Lots that has really cheap stuff that is new. We have freecycle and Craig's List too, where locals list stuff they want to sell or give away. We are frequent shoppers at both, people donate some really good stuff sometimes and the money goes to a good cause. We also got a LOT of furniture from a local used office furniture liquidator, our living room set (sofa and chair) were practically new from a lawyer's office and we bought it at less than 1/10th of it's actual cost!

I second the Craig's list suggestion. You can find all kinds of great stuff there. The listings are posted for only 7 days, so there is great turnaround - everyday new stuff. Also, while I have no experience with Harvard specifically, my experience at other university campus towns is that there are lots of ways to find used furniture with students moving and and out constantly. There are also volunteer organizations sponsored by the unversities to help international students matriculate into our culture, so to speak, and often they know where good used furniture is for sale or even donated to students. So ask around. There are a lot of options. And welcome to Harvard. What fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what part of the US you are relocating to, however, in the midwest we have garage sales this time of year for other things that you may need that they may not have included in furnishing your apartment. I just went to one this morning and found lots of cute items for around a dollar a piece. Hint: Garage sales at really fancy neighborhoods sometimes have the best selection of pre-owned items, but is varies on pricing also.

• 2 weeks later...