Sun Bathing Problems

Okay, so to day I sat out on the balcony to let my legs get a little sun so I don't look like a ghost in shorts. After about 10 min I noticed that my legs had turned red with white blotches everywhere. I have never had this happen. I tried searching for it on the internet, but they all came up with a fungal infection and the loss of pigment. Mine looked nothing like either of those. My legs were really hot feeling and it looked like blood pooling at the top of my skin in weird patterns. It went away after about 15 min, but this is really weird. Has anyone else had something like this happen? Any ideas on what is going on? I hope this doesn't mean I can't go in the sun at all anymore. FYI I have a medium to dark olive complexion, not fair.

Thanks to anyone that can give me ideas on what is going on. It freaked me out.

. My legs were really hot feeling and it looked like blood pooling at the top of my skin in weird patterns. It went away after about 15 min, but this is really weird. Has anyone else had something like this happen? Any ideas on what is going on? I hope this doesn't mean I can't go in the sun at all anymore. FYI I have a medium to dark olive complexion, not fair.

Thanks to anyone that can give me ideas on what is going on. It freaked me out.

The pattern you mention made me think of livedico reticularis. Mine is usually more prominent in cold weather.

Check out the images on the link and see how it corresponds to what is going on. The site is very good for skin conditions.

Thanks so much. That is what it looks like. I have often wondered if I had dermatomyositis as I have a horrible red rash on my face. This seems to be something that I need to look into. What type of dr is recommended for diagnosis of any of these disorders? A rheumatologist or dermatologist?

Thanks so much. That is what it looks like. I have often wondered if I had dermatomyositis as I have a horrible red rash on my face. This seems to be something that I need to look into. What type of dr is recommended for diagnosis of any of these disorders? A rheumatologist or dermatologist?

Does the rash on your face go beneath your eyes and over your nose, like these images show? If so it is called a malar rash and is one of the things rheumatologists look for in dx lupus.

My rheumy dx'd my livedico which is another condition that can happen with lupus or can indicate antiphosolipid syndrome, also known as Hughes Syndrome.

Take pictures and make an appointment with a rheumatologist. Auto-immune stuff will not cooperate with our MDs schedule and the rash won't necessarily be there to show the doc.

Does the rash on your face go beneath your eyes and over your nose, like these images show? If so it is called a malar rash and is one of the things rheumatologists look for in dx lupus.

My rheumy dx'd my which is another condition that can happen with lupus or can indicate antiphosolipid syndrome, also known as Hughes Syndrome.

Take pictures and make an appointment with a rheumatologist. Auto-immune stuff will not cooperate with our MDs schedule and the rash won't necessarily be there to show the doc.

The rash doesn't go over my nose. Sometimes it's just red and other times it swells and is raised and itchy. My previous dermatologist tested me for lupus, but the test was negative. He couldn't figure out what it was. At one time my finger tips would get really scaley and crack. Thankfully that hasn't happened in the past year. I'll see if I can find a rheumatologist around here that speaks English. I think I will go back outside tomorrow and see if my legs have the same reaction. I will take pics of my legs and my face. Maybe someone will be able to figure out what is going on.

I have severe blood pooling in my legs, and when I try to lay in the sun it pools even more. Mine can look like red and white splotches on my skin, but I don't know if that is what yours was or not. Sounds like Reen has some ideas on a rash it could be. Unless it seems to itch and really bother you, I would just ignore it!

I personally now stay out of the sun as much as possible, and use a self-tanner on my legs and arms. Jergens is pretty good, and not too expensive. I can't handle the heat!

I have severe blood pooling in my legs, and when I try to lay in the sun it pools even more. Mine can look like red and white splotches on my skin, but I don't know if that is what yours was or not. Sounds like Reen has some ideas on a rash it could be. Unless it seems to itch and really bother you, I would just ignore it!

Does it matter what position your legs are in when you sunbathe or do the splotches appear whether you were laying down or sitting up?

How long does it last?

Here's another idea:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071178/

The article suggests that the way to distinguish is that one is treated by cold the other heat; I don't know if that is always the case. I also think the condition in this article usually takes longer to heal than just getting out of the heat exposure for 15 minutes -- but if you're asking a doctor, you might ask about both conditions anyway just to be thorough.

Thanks for all the information guys.

It didn't seem to matter what position I was in b/c I moved my legs another way and the otherside did the same thing. My skin did feel really hot to the touch. It was really weird. I put cold water on them and sat in front of a fan. When they cooled down the splotches went away. I have had something similar happen this winter when we went sledding, but it was my arms and it wasn't as violent as this. My arms just looked kind of mottled. This was bright red and stark white splotches. Whiter than my normal skin color. I'm making an appointment to see the rheumy dr who speaks English. I don't know if the rash is related so maybe I should make an appt with a dermo too. I have had the rash on my face since my first pregnancy almost 11 years ago. It doesn't ever go away, but sometimes it isn't inflamed just red. I can tell that I have blood vessels at the surface, and I think they are causing the red coloring. I do sometimes get flushing like my face is on fire. I really wish it was just the main POTs problems and not all of this other stuff too. When these things spring up it gets a little depressing to me. Just one more thing to try and figure out. Why won't my body just work like it's suppose to?!?

We are not suppose to do the sun.. not only because of pots but the meds alone... sorry nmorgan Every time I go out I get heat rash and more.... I'm so cute

; )