Heat Intolerance

Kelly

Please help, Im still having a really bad time with my POTS and for those of you that live in the UK you'll know how hot it has been over the last few weeks, well it seems to be for me anyway. Im finding it utterly unbearable and dont know what to do. Ive had almost two weeks off work as ive been so ill. Ive sat infront of a fan the entire time and continuously drunk water but there must be a point where i must go back to work and i cant have a fan on me 24/7 or stick my feet in the air as soon as i become overheated, causing me to become faint.

Does anyone know of anything i can do/take to help. Ive heard of someone mentioning a medication that can be taken but mr Dr doesnt seem to know anything about it.

Kelly

x

No med that I know. Florinef can help you retain fluid I guess, so you don't dehydrate as quickly.

My suggestion is to get an air conditioner. Fans can only do so much. I have my 'igloo room' that I retreat to when it gets too hot in the rest of the house.

I have seen the cooling vests on Ebay? I am looking to get one for one of my boys. Are you any good with a sewing machine, may be you could make yourself some designer cooling gear!! or could you get get someone to make you something. Sorry not too helpful, one of my boys is having heating problems at the mo, well for the last six months or so he has had bouts of over heating big time, especially when he is laying down!! we are trying to sort this out by plotting son's temps/ symptoms for the next few weeks, as GP wants to see if he can see what path way this is coming from. Until then we are stuck as to what might help him.

Kellz

I'm sorry that you're having such a terrible time.

I'm having scheduled leave this year in the hottest and coldest months - my body doesn't cope well with very hot or very cold weather, so I'm resting through the worst of it. Not sure whether this will be helpful to you.

Anna - I had a couple of decades of night sweats and and severe over-heating at night. In the end, a small dose of Ibuprofen at bedtime brought it under control. Not sure whether this might be helpful for your son.

With best wishes

Dianne

yes, heat dilates your blood vessels and thats the reason why the BP dropps. Its been very hot here the past couple of days and for the first time in over a year my BP is almost normal (normally my BP is high). I have 3 ventilators around me at work plus a water sprayer, i also have ice pads which i can put in a freezer at work and take them out if needed. I also have a small hand ventilator with a watersprayer build in. I stay indoors all them time and in case i need to go out in the heat, for example after work, i have these ice pads with me. All the best to you, carinara

it's not very easy to be with low blood presur.

this morning i'll go to buy some meel but i must wait to minute to pay and for me 2 minute when it's hot it's a problem.

i like cold water. i like to go to the lake when the water is 18 degres...i'm feeling so nice with me leg in the cold water.

My cooling vest (mine is by coolsport) and my misting fan, which is about the size of a standard room oscillating fan, but is for outdoor use and has a fine mist that comes from attaching to your watering hose. It drops the temperature around it by 15 degrees F (9.5 C).

Other then the vest that has been already mentioned here is what I do.....

STEP 1 -

-----------

Go out to a hardware store and buy yourself a pump spray nozzle, the heavy duty type that is used in cleaning products that sprays a fine mist for eg. for window cleaning or from the gardening section one for spraying plants. Now see if you can find a smaller bottle to attach it to, something that will fit into your pocket, you may need to clip the tube that sits in the water and shorten it to fit the new bottle. Now fill it with water, attach the spray nozzle and put it in the fridge....

STEP 2 -

------------

Buy yourself a mini battery operated hand held fan.

STEP 3 -

-----------

Now the final step...every time you spray yourself with water from the pump spray water bottle use your mini hand held fan on the sprayed areas on your body, the moisture and condensation from the spray on your skin together with the air from the fan will give you an amazing cool relief. These two items have become a part of my life, I never go anywhere without them. I hope you can find the same amazing benefits that I do from doing this.

Dress in breathable, loose, cotton clothing.

Know what hours of the day are hottest and stay indoors then.

Carry cold things if inconspicuous, like a cold water bottle.

Dampen areas of your body where viens show (bc that's the way your body's cooling itself).

Go out with wet hair.

Make time to rest after heat exposure. (nap time/ siesta)

that's all I got. I'm gonna look into buying a cooling vest, since many of you said it does actually work.

I live in the desert of Saudi Arabia, we're talking 130's. The heat gives headache, muscle ache, nausea, and shortness of breath to even healthy people, and small children and elderly are absolutely not taken out midday. I know some people here who don't take their children out of doors until they are at least toddling age. But I think that, even though I have heat intolerance, since moving here 5 years ago my body did adjust a lot. Now, when I go back to the US, I go heat-seeking because I feel freezing cold all the time...drives my parents nuts bc they have to change the house thermostat for me.

Other then the vest that has been already mentioned here is what I do.....

STEP 1 -

-----------

Go out to a hardware store and buy yourself a pump spray nozzle, the heavy duty type that is used in cleaning products that sprays a fine mist for eg. for window cleaning or from the gardening section one for spraying plants. Now see if you can find a smaller bottle to attach it to, something that will fit into your pocket, you may need to clip the tube that sits in the water and shorten it to fit the new bottle. Now fill it with water, attach the spray nozzle and put it in the fridge....

STEP 2 -

------------

Buy yourself a mini battery operated hand held fan.

STEP 3 -

-----------

Now the final step...every time you spray yourself with water from the pump spray water bottle use your mini hand held fan on the sprayed areas on your body, the moisture and condensation from the spray on your skin together with the air from the fan will give you an amazing cool relief. These two items have become a part of my life, I never go anywhere without them. I hope you can find the same amazing benefits that I do from doing this.

You can buy hand ventilators with an already build in water sprayer. They are not expensive at all, thats why i just bought 10 of them at ones (hopefully they last a while). I have been using them since about 3 years. They a very helpfull.