What Do You Write On Your Driver's License?

houswoea

I went to renew my license and it had a question that said "I take medication to control loss of consciousness or voluntary control, yes or no" and I was like.... hmmmm. I don't know what to write! Because I take midodrine (and a million other things) but I think I'm still allowed to drive and I didn't want to try to explain pots because it's really hard to do. So I said no... good decision or bad decision? What do you guys do?

I know, it's a tough one :rolleyes: . I haven't fainted for 17 years, but the tachy's been so bad that I almost did repeatedly- just a few years ago. I've gotten to the root of things (MCAD) and am treating it appropriately & have gotten much more stable....so YES, I still have a license.

It was a tougher decision for my child as he's a new driver. Mack's 17 now, but like me, he's on a great treatment regimen and (except for extreme situations) is quite stable- especially when he's sitting. We fudged the truth for him as well, and he's a licensed and excellent driver.

We've both had periods of time where it would have been irresponsible for us to be on the roads and we refrained from driving during those times. I think we instinctively know how bad things are & whether or not we should be driving.

Julie

Your doctor should know if you're in the safe catagory to drive. I seldom drive any way. But, if there were an emergency, I need my license. I've never passed out, but do have times where I know I shouldn't drive. I pay really close attention to my body and go from there. If you think about all the people who are impared from prescription, mind altering drugs - you'd be scared to death to be driving at all.

If you're concerned about it, ask your doctor what they think. You wouldn't want to be responsible for the death of someone else, by passing out. Not to mention --if your problems aren't bad enough with the POTS ---how the break ups on your body would hinder your life. I know, I'd rather have to have someone drive me around than to possibly have really hurt someone else. It's a hard thing to have to come to grips with, but we all have to admit to ourselves that we do have limitations. We just have to decide how much of a limitation do we have, for the good of ourselves and others.

My cardiologist said that I do not need to write anything for that. I have never had a fainting episode from a seated position.

Nina

My new N was going to have my licence taken from me when I mentioned that I had fainted a month earlier. He said, "i'm surprised that someone hasn't already done this". I begged him not to do this, saying that I drove only about 3 minutes to church but only if I was feeling really good. He hesitated but then said okay. I want to be able to make that decision myself and have it imposed on me. I saw that done to others and it was devastating to them, that last little bit of independence and freedom was gone.

Without being able to have any say whatsoever, our failing health has imposed far too many restrictions and limitations on our lives. I want to maintain control wherever I can. Like you, Nina, I've never fainted while sitting, never even felt like I might. Thanks for this bit of wisdom. I see the N on July 12 and I'll bet he'll bring it up so I must tell him what you said. At any rate I haven't fainted again.

Mary P

I recently moved and had to go and get a new license and had the question - have you ever suffered from giddiness/fainting? There was a list of stuff and you were supposed to get a doctor's certificate saying it was ok. The thing is though, I won't drive if I feel really bad and if I'm sitting down, I'm usually pretty good. IMO it's the brain fog and fatigue and lack of concentration that can cause an issue.

I had heard that if you have fainted in the previous 6 months (in NY) that you weren't legally able to drive. I still have my license but haven't driven since the morning I drove to work Sept 14 last year, they took me by ambulance to hospital. My wife drove me 600 miles each way to Dr. Grubb in Toledo while I was laying down on a blowup mattress in the back of our Chevy Traverse. I couldn't even help with the driving. I wouldn't take the chance.

Frank