Tremors/jerks/spasms

I get these troublesome shivery jerks/jumps and trembly spasms that run through my body at times when I am very tired and trying to relax. It feels like although I am exhausted, my body won't relax and if I try to lay or sit still, these jerks run through it- often in my legs and my shoulders/torso (when it's my torso it turns into more of a shudder, when it's legs and arms, they will jump up). I also get like a full body shudder when I'm laying in bed trying to sleep.

I hate these! Not only are they irritating they are also accompanied by an unpleasant 'restless' feeling, like I feel as though I NEED to keep moving (like jiggle my legs up and down) even though I'm exhausted and want to rest. Also get a feeling ilike there is excess energy running through my body and although I am breathing just fine, it often feels as though I can't get enough air. It's really weird.

Does anyone else get those symptoms? Do you get the strange feeling of not being able to get enough oxygen along with the feeling of overactivity and spasms?

Does anyone know what causes this? And does anyone know anything that helps to settle/get rid of it? There are times when I just cannot sleep because of this!

Hate that feeling, especially at night when I lay down to sleep. It feels like my adrenaline won't shut down. I take Xanax at night to help me fall asleep faster but it doesn't help much with the feeling of an adrenaline rush. No one has been able to give me any good advice on treatments for it!

Brye

Don't know what causes it. But, I, at first - before my POTS diagnosis - was diagnosed with Parkinson's. I was also treated for the same. The treatment made me worse and of course didn't help. Then, I was told that the doctor thought I had multiple system atrophy. That's when I went to Mayo and got my POTS diagnosis. I still have tremors and shakes. If I'm tired or get nervous or upset - it is definitely worse. I've also found that certain lights will cause me to shake. I was tested for seizures and that was not an issue. The only thing I can figure is it must be the autonomic nervous system misfiring. At times, I have no tremors or shakes and other times it's pretty bad. I never know when it will hit. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Also, I haven't been tested for it, but, I feel that I have the hyper adrenal type POTS. That could explain the adrenal type surges you feel. Since so many have norepinephrine issues, this is an adrenal hormone - it makes sense that if there is an imbalance there - you could get the surges of hyperness. Also, some brain chemicals have that surge type component. If brain chemicals get out of balance, possibly that could affect all the other hormones including the adrenal hormones. So, do you treat the brain or the adrenals? THAT IS THE QUESTION. We're all connected - so one imbalance will intensify the other one. Like, for example, treating the Parkinson's with dopamine was not the right thing for me and intensified the tremors even more so. From the trauma of it all, it created an imbalance in the adrenals - the stress gland. It's the trickle down problem - it all domino's. WE ALL FALL DOWN.

I had this just last night. It gave me panic attack sort of symptoms along with it, but mostly the muscle spasms and the feeling disoriented. It makes it really hard to sleep. I've still not been given a diagnosis of POTS but my symptoms are exactly as the ones I see here. I think this restless feeling and muscle spasms along with the feeling like you cannot get enough air is the worst. :\

I have these or something similar. I call them tremors, but they couldn't catch them in a sleep study. I usually get them in my legs, but I also get them in my chest, which is very bothersome. They are very fast muscle spasms. When they are in my chest it feels like my heart is racing, but my pulse is usually normal. The muscles in my chest are racing, lol. I usually take magnesium and it seems to help. When they were really bad I took norflex and they completely stopped. They do come back, but the norflex worked. It's a muscle relaxer used for Parkinsons. I no longer take the norflex as I woke up 1 morning and felt like I was jumping out of my skin. Give the magnesium a try. It does seem to calm them down. I wish I could try other things, but I am scared of medication and supplements now.

Thanks for the replies -- I am going to try a magnesium, calcium and vitD combined vitamin and see how I am with that. I agree that the feeling of not being able to breathe enough along with the tremor feeling is the worst! I also feel like my heart is racing when it isn't so perhaps the muscles in my chest are twitching, how odd. I get the tremors in my legs and chest/torso most too.

Thanks for the replies -- I am going to try a magnesium, calcium and vitD combined vitamin and see how I am with that. I agree that the feeling of not being able to breathe enough along with the tremor feeling is the worst! I also feel like my heart is racing when it isn't so perhaps the muscles in my chest are twitching, how odd. I get the tremors in my legs and chest/torso most too.

I think the supplements will help you. I have asthma so I am used to having that not being able to breathe feeling. One other thing I forgot to mention was when the tremors start I will take yoga breaths and stretch. I found that this helps when the magnesium doesn't work.

Thanks for the warning issie- I've had to stop taking it as I noticed every time I did, I felt terrible and my DIA bp was terrible. I had heard it can lower bp so I figured (rightly) it was the magnesium causing me to feel so bad, once I stopped, I felt better. I'll try the yoga stretches instead! :blink:

You are welcome. I figured this out the hard way. I had been using it to help me sleep, but my BP would drop out and I'd wake myself up and have to walk around to get it up. Also, they use magnesium for pregnant women when their BP is high with the pregnancy. It especially lowers the Diastolic. Glad you got it figured out too.

It was DEFINITELY the magnesium then, as my systolic wasn't too bad but the diastolic was diabolical! lol.

Incidentally, I've started trying motherwort (herbal remedy) as it's reputed to be good for palpitations and tachycardia! I noticed since taking this my tremors have stopped, at least for now- which is pretty amazing to me as the only thing that stopped them before was a beta blocker.