New Lyme Infection!!!

Hi All,

Truth is stranger than fiction :ph34r: My son & I were BOTH recently treated for Lyme Disease following recent tick bites- within days of one another. Untreated chronic Lyme disease is implicated as a cause of OI. It is so important treat it immediately.

Here's several photos of the bull's-eye rash that developed around the site where my tick was removed. I waited a little too long for antibiotics- note the red line starting towards my heart. Most patients develop this rash...some don't making DX more difficult. My bite hurt like the dickens. My son & I both experienced enlarged lymph nodes. Mack also had an awful headache and vomiting. I felt general ennui, flu-ish symptoms.

We live in Northern GA. Early summer is prime tick season. Inspect yourself when you get out of the shower. A brand new mole, that's slightly inflamed probably isn't a mole :P.

Oops- sorry my photos didn't work. Any help on getting them here??? Not very tech savvy.....

Julie,

I'm so sorry that you and Mack both have gotten this. Glad you caught it. You pics are not working and I would love to see them. I was wondering how you could get to do them from your desktop?

Get well fast.

(((((((((Double Hugs)))))))))

one for you and Mack.

Love,

BellaMia~*

Here's another try at the photos...

http://gallery.me.com/juliegee#100008

I'm so "vintage" that I took a Sears & Roebuck TYPEWRITER with me to college. I was so proud because it had a white-out corrector ribbon :ph34r: I'm still learning the ins & outs of 'puters :-)

I would like to know how to also.

Someone tried to explain how to do the Icons, but I just didn't get it...

BRAIN FOG FOR ME.... maybe we can all learn and see more pics.

Bellamia~* :ph34r:

That's a beauty.

You don't quite have the bull's-eye thing going on yet....looks more like a mosquito bite that went horribly wrong. Did you pull the ticks off before you killed them?

Every tick bite I've ever had came from North Georgia. My grandma's family had a house up there, and I can remember staying there during the summer. Every time we came in from the outdoors we had to check to see if any of our moles moved when we touched them. My grandmother had horrible eyesight, so despite my moles having eight legs, she'd insist I was being paranoid, and I had to wait until she went to bed to put nail polish on them (which was ok by me since her idea for killing them was to put her cigarette on it. Yikes!).

Hope those bites don't mess you up any, and that Macks' antibiotic treatment caught any problems before they could start.

I'm going to do a body check right now on me and my dog. I have a big mosquito bite like that. the dog and I are both itching but I have my new mast cell cream that I can put on again real soon. pretty expensive for such a little amount of cream. Be back after I check :) . BellaMia~*

I get an odd comfort knowing we aren't the only ones dealing with ticks :) 100 bites at once!!! Nightmare :ph34r: !!! Kind of makes you want to stay indoors for the season.

My bite was a bull's eye, but the camera didn't catch the detail & colors. There's a dark spot in the center, huge red ring, then smaller white, followed by the last red outer ring. My doc said it was the most perfect that she'd seen. Dubious honor.

Please, please, please check yourselves. The tick bites don't hurt at all while they're sucking. They have some kind of natural anesthetic. Poor Mack (17 y/o) had to pluck mine off- hubby out of town. Despite my detailed instructions, he did it in pieces :blink:. Then, dug around with a needle to ensure the head wasn't still there. The bugger was alive & held on for dear life while Mack pulled. I felt lucky to be left with any skin on my back.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We LOVE a good tick story :P

mine was huge yesterday like a mosquito bite gone wrong with rashes everywhere, tonight it's a smaller bright red spot. boy that sodium cromolym cream has just about calmed down every rash and itch I had. I had another spot ontop of my foot, looked like a tick so I grabbed it off. now I have a nice scar on my foot. lol with my neurapathy I never feel when I hurt my feet.

Best way to get a tick out, is to put vaseline ontop and it will release right away in one piece. Best trick I learned having a dog,

julie you and mack get well soon.

xxx's

bellamia~*

mine was huge yesterday like a mosquito bite gone wrong with rashes everywhere, tonight it's a smaller bright red spot. boy that sodium cromolym cream has just about calmed down every rash and itch I had. I had another spot ontop of my foot, looked like a tick so I grabbed it off. now I have a nice scar on my foot. lol with my neurapathy I never feel when I hurt my feet.

Best way to get a tick out, is to put vaseline ontop and it will release right away in one piece. Best trick I learned having a dog,

julie you and mack get well soon.

xxx's

bellamia~*

'Preciate the tick trick- vaseline! Will certainly use that next time, Bella. That sodium cromolym cream is a great idea too. Is your's prescription? Did a compounding pharmacy make it for you. I know a lot of masto folks use that. My tick bite felt very, very itchy- still does. That would help.

Thanks-

Julie

• 2 months later...

Please be careful when you remove the ticks! If you stress them or squeeze them you will force them to release their dreaded stuff into you even faster. The Lyme community says not to use the vaseline trick either. I am on month 5 of treatment for lyme and bartonella which my neurologist thinks caused my POTS. The ticks don't just give you lyme - there are several other illness that you need to be tested for. Macksmom - make sure you take antibiotics for 4 weeks. You and your son don't need this to make things worse for you. Good luck and stay out of the bushes!! :)

I appreciate that removal tip, Lina. I am convinced that I got infected BECAUSE of the way Mack removed the tick. I told him exactly what to do, but he did things his own way :rolleyes: . He squeezed the body & then removed it. The head hung on for dear life & remained. He removed that in step two. Grrrrrrrr.

Sorry to hear about your long term treatment :( . Is it helping? Did you know when you were bit? That bull's eye rash was soooooo painful. I can't believe anyone could miss it, but I guess not everyone gets it.

You worry me with your 4 weeks of antibiotics advice. Per Mack's docs at Johns Hopkins. We did TWO weeks of antibiotics and seem to be OK now....

Thanks-

Julie