Night Time Heart Racing/weird "flush"

sue1234

I am 50, and told I am officially in menopause. I have had the hot flashes, especially at night, for a few years. Lately, though, I am waking up and notice my heart is racing. Then, I roll over and have a hot "flush". It causes light sweat in weird places like the inside of my elbows(bent arms). In fact, just rolling over 75% of the time I will get this "flush". Is this a weird POTS thing? Any ideas?

Well the waking up with the racing heart I've had off and on for the last year but thank goodness I think it's let up for now.

It was horrible. I could pretty much stop it by sleeping more upright like on 4 pillows? Also not sleeping on my left side.

Give it a try. Also don't eat 2 hours prior to bed.

I had this too but since starting bio-identicals it has really improved. I've only been on treatment for 3 months and I suspect that when I'm on the full amount of hormones (I'm taking it super slow) and it's been 6 months things will be super improved! I also am taking adrenal support. Hope that helps!

KC

I am not on any hormones. I tried birth control(had never been on it) around 40 and I only lasted a week. I felt awful-made my stomach bloating worse. Also tried just progesterone--made me really, really tired, more than my usual. I also tried the bio-identical hormone version, and still felt awful. So, no hormones for me.

I am ALWAYS hot, not just when sleep. I am probably hot like someone that is very hyperthyroid, even though my meds are keeping me at a normal level.

I already have my bed tilted and sleep with 3 flatish pillows. And I don't eat after my 5 pm supper.

I am going in for a sleep study in July, so maybe it will give a clue as to why my heart is racing. I know last year when I did the 24-hour monitor, it showed these heart rate elevations(around 110) while I was sleeping.

I have a history of low blood sugar in the daytime if I don't eat every 2 hours, but I don't wake up with low blood sugar. I don't think it is a drop in glucose, as I always have bad hand shaking when it drops, and my hands don't shake during the night. So, I have no clue.

I appreciate your answers. Just wondering if it happened to other POTSies.

I've been getting middle-of-the-night racing and sweating. Definitely hormonal. I still get my period, but these symptoms kick in worst right before. I also have apnea, which is treated. Before that, I had worse racing. I'd wake up in a panic, and in retrospect I think it was the apnea. I was panicking for lack of air. I would explore both avenues. I have a prn sleeping pill that I take on nights when I CANNOT get back to sleep because I'm wired, for up to 5 times a month, so no risk of getting hooked. I take sonata, which has a short half life.

Some of us with pots get worse with hormones... I have landed up in the hospital several times when I was put on hormones for precancerous bleeding of the uterus. I find taking calicum will relax and calm my body down and bring on sleep. topamax took away the sweats when I started it for migrains.

Sue, I am 37 and have had this symptom for at least 12 years. I have no hormone problems. For me it is a POTS thing. It only happens when I roll over and I also will get short of breath.

You may have both but because you mentioned rolling over... I think it is more of a pots problem. I have this symptom on birth control pill and off.

Sue- I am 50 too and have these symptoms but I think they are pots. I too have the " light sweat in weird places like the inside of my elbows(bent arms)".

I am still having regular periods and must be heading for menopause, but this sweating is something I have been having for many years. Do you get it between your toes as well?- as I have noticed that when lying down, especially in the morning when I wake up.

No, my toes/feet don't ever sweat. I can be in 95 degree weather and ONLY sweat under my breasts, and very lightly in my underarms. And then my blood vessels turn into pipelines from vasodilation, and I start losing the blood to the brain. I haven't had to wear deodorant in a few years. But put me to sleep, and I'm sweating lightly in my arm and knee creases, with an overwhelming heat flush. I am going to have my sleep study soon and maybe they can see if there is any correlation to, maybe, lower oxygen or something.

It's irritating, to say the least!