Boost As A Supplement

lieze

With all the talk about supplements it got me thinking that Boost for me has been a life saver.

I've had it before when I've felt really poor and weak and it's an almost instant fix.

Not that it makes me feel normal but it will bring me out of a slump.

I wondered since I see almost instant results if I would see an overall improvement if I drank say like 1 daily.

I have to admit that I was advised to do so over a year ago but didn't "get it".

I put the focus on trying to eat which wasn't a bad thing but maybe my overall nutritional state could be much improved at this point if I had followed the advice to drink 1-2 per day.

What do you think?

I found this on the boost website:

Nutritional Energy Drink is a great-tasting nutritional supplement that you can enjoy with a meal and as a healthy between-meal snack. It also provides all the nutrients you need should you miss a meal. One serving of Boost Drink gives you:

* 26 vitamins and minerals, with carbohydrates and protein for energy, a healthier alternative than many caffeine beverages.

* Antioxidants that may help protect you from free radicals, which are molecules that can destroy healthy cells.

* Vitamin E may help protect against heart disease, asthma, arthritis, and also protect your heart, eyes and lungs.

* Vitamin C that may help prevent colds and flu, keep your gums strong and healthy, and increase your resistance to heart disease and cancer.

* Calcium to help maintain strong, healthy bones and teeth. Calcium also functions in the regulation of the heartbeat and helps with blood functions, such as the clotting of blood. With as much calcium as an 8-ounce glass of milk, BOOST is lactose free.

* Low in saturated fat (just 4 grams total fat, 5 milligrams cholesterol per serving).

* As a part of a diet low in sodium, may help reduce the risk of high blood pressure.

For the Dietary Management of:

* Failure to Thrive

* Oncology

* Inadequate Oral Intake

* Lactose Intolerance

* Reduced Appetite

* Surgery: Oral Surgery

* Disease Related Anorexia

* Malnutrition

With its balance of vitamins and minerals, it provides the kind of nutrition needed to help you stay at your physical and mental best.

Nutrition Facts

Nutrients Per 8-fl oz %DV

Calories 240 *

Calories from Fat 35 *

Protein 10 g 20

Total Fat 4 g 6

Saturated Fat 0.5 g 3

Trans Fat 0 g *

Cholesterol 5 mg 2

Total Carbohydrate 41 g 14

Dietary Fiber 0 g 0

Sugars 25 g*** *

Water 201 mL *

Vitamin A 1250 IU**** 25

Vitamin D 160 IU 40

Vitamin E 30 IU 100

Vitamin K 32 mcg 40

Vitamin C 60 mg 100

Folic Acid 140 mcg 35

Thiamin 0.38 mg 25

Riboflavin 0.43 mg 25

Niacin 5 mg 25

Vitamin B6 0.7 mg 35

Vitamin B12 2.1 mcg 35

Biotin 75 mcg 25

Pantothenic Acid 2.5 mg 25

Choline 50 mg *

Calcium 300 mg 30

Phosphorus 300 mg 30

Iodine 38 mcg 25

Iron 4.5 mg 25

Magnesium 100 mg 25

Copper 0.5 mg 25

Zinc 4.5 mg 30

Manganese 0.7 mg 35

Chloride 340 mg (9.6 mEq) 10

Potassium ** 400 mg (10.3 mEq) 11

Sodium ** 130 mg (5.7 mEq) 5

Selenium 18 mcg 25

Chromium 30 mcg 25

Molybdenum 18.75 mcg 25

Vanilla bottles

*Daily Value (DV) not established.

**Chocolate and Strawberry flavors - Sodium 130 mg; Potassium 400 mg

***Chocolate sugar 28g; Strawberry sugar 23g

****50% of Vitamin A activity from Beta Carotene.

hi Lieze,

i do the Ensure which i believe has the same ingredients as Boost. i've used Boost in the past as well. I really need to supplement to keep my weight up. Some days i may drink two but usually one a day. i have gastroparesis and eating isn't up there on my list. At least with the Ensure (I use the one with extra calories, I think each bottle has 350), I know i'm getting the nutrition I know that i lack since my diet isn't that great. Not sure taste wise, which one I like better. Sorry my shift key doesn't seem to want to work!

I would definitely stick with the Boost or Ensure just so you know that you are getting nourishment.

hugs,

Rene