Looking For A Good Company To Buy Wheelchair Ramps

Hi, I need a little ramp help.. those of you who ride in power chairs might be able to advise me.

I've spent all day yesterday looking for ramps I do like the ez classic which seems to be the cheapest as far as I can see at Walmart. Has anyone had this ramp? First I thought I could get away with 4'. Then we measured again and 5' looked good, measured again and I really should have 5.5' all for an 11" rise, so I think I should go with 6' without the rails for now as they can be added later if needed. How did I do for measuring?????

The ramp it is wider than all the others I looked at, which I wanted... The chair is so large I didn't want to fall off the ramp. I was suppose to have this installed months ago as I lined up a contractor. I fully expected to pay him and had him over 3 times to discuss the job. The last visit he wanted to do it for free and then he never returned. Maybe the beer in his hand should have been a clue and each time he came back he had forgotten what we had talked about. I thought maybe he died as he has a heart condition and now it had got to the point as I was embarrassed to call or walk over one more time. He's a really nice person, I just learned another lesson about how to do business with people. Well, I heard him hollering for his kid to get out of the road and to be quiet now so I know he's OK, so I need to purchase a ramp ASAP.

I now need a threshold ramp once I land onto my very small porch. the rise is about 5 1/2" any recommendations? I'm going to stop searching the net and see if I get some help for my favorite place. Thanks in advance. :lol:

bellamia~*

I now need a threshold ramp once I land onto my very small porch. the rise is about 5 1/2" any recommendations? I'm going to stop searching the net and see if I get some help for my favorite place. Thanks in advance. :o

bellamia~*

bella-

I was going to recommend this ramp

http://www.discountramps.com/threshold-ramp.htm

and then noticed it is on back order until August. However, that is not all that far off now.

In the meantime, here's a great low cost version with duct tape. the story has to do with making your own curb ramp that is light enough to carry but the theory might work for a while.

duct tape ramp

Determining the proper length of ramp for handicap access.

1. Determine how much of an incline your power wheelchair or scooter can go up (should be listed in your owners manual).

2. If it is a straight shot into or up the stairs/step measure the amount of space or distance that you have going straight out from the highest point.

3. Take a measurement of the total useable width of the area you plan to have the ramp rest as the ramp width will obviously need to be smaller than this in order to fit.

4. Take a measurement of the total vertical(up and down) rise that you are trying to overcome.

5. Use the measurements in accordance with the ADA requirements below to find the length of ramp needed for your situation.

ADA requirements:

(Residential Use) For loading unoccupied wheelchairs/scooters (unoccupied means nobody is sitting in the wheelchair/scooter while it navigates up the ramp):

ADA recommends a 3:12 slope which means for every 3" of vertical rise you are required to have at least one foot of ramp (14.5 degrees incline)

To determine the length of ramp needed:

Measure the vertical rise from the ground to where the ramp will sit on the vehicle, stairs or threshold.

Take that measurement (inches) and divide it by 3. This will determine the length of ramp needed for an unoccupied power chair.

Example: 24 inches of rise requires an 8 foot ramp minimum (24 divided by 3).

(Residential Use) For loading occupied power chairs/scooters (someone is riding on the power wheelchair/scooter):

ADA recommends a 2:12 slope which means every 2" of vertical rise requires one foot of ramp (9.5 degrees of incline)

To determine the length of ramp needed for residential usage (Note: Business use requires a 1:12 slope):

Measure the rise from the ground to where the ramp will sit on the vehicle, stairs or threshold.

Take that measurement (inches) and divide it by 2. This will determine the length of ramp needed for an unoccupied power chair.

Example: 24 inches of rise requires a 12 foot ramp minimum (24 divided by 2).

Check out the chart at: http://www.discountramps.com/articles/corr...ramp-length.htm

I just found out you have to follow your towns building codes even for metal ramps and the was told I need a 12' long ramp and it has to be so wide. Wide enough to walk around the chair... Mine is a biggie (((((((((( $ $ $ $ ))))))))))

I'm not even sure my walkway is that long... :)

On a sweeter moment in life, yesterday I went out the back door where I have a bucket with flowers in it and planted a plant. I picked up a bunch of leaves that were resting in one side. When I did I was surprised to to find a nest of baby newborn bunnies. I have several bunnies running through my yard that my dog and I love to watch from my bed. I was in awe that the bunny has chosen this location to have her babies as my dog is chained up to this bucket.

I gently covered them up and added a few more leaves as I had removed some last week cleaning off my plants. I wanted to go grab my camera, but didn't want to disturb mother nature's beautiful gift of the day...

A Beverly Hills pool boy... never thought of that. Nah I'm looking for Just some nice guy, with a good sense of humor, who is understanding that I don't have Beverly Hills money for 12' and will cut me a good deal. I would be very blessed for that.

I also found this great newsletter that has everything for wheelchair users:

http://wheelchairs.lifetips.com/cat/61663/...amps/index.html

Thanks for all you help.

Love you all,

BellaMia~*