Acid Medicine & Gastric Emptying Study

My Dr. is recommending I take either Prilosec or Pepcid --- I have constant pressure? in the stomach/sternum/spleen/rib area -- an ultrasound was done and nothing was found. He said it's probably gastritis and to try an OTC acid medicine. I really try to avoid taking anything because I seem to have a bad reaction to EVERYTHING and I am now fearful of all medicine. Should I take Pepcid or Prilosec and is there ANY chance of bad side effects -- especially dizziness or heart symptoms? How have any of you done on these medicines?

Also, I am going in for a gastric emptying study and just wondering what to expect?

Thanks.

(My Dr. is recommending I take either Prilosec or Pepcid --- I have constant pressure? in the stomach/sternum/spleen/rib area -- an ultrasound was done and nothing was found. He said it's probably gastritis and to try an OTC acid medicine. I really try to avoid taking anything because I seem to have a bad reaction to EVERYTHING and I am now fearful of all medicine. Should I take Pepcid or Prilosec and is there ANY chance of bad side effects -- especially dizziness or heart symptoms? How have any of you done on these medicines?)

Hello, if you are concerned about the meds you might want to try eating apples!! I know sounds really odd but my son had a bout of very bad GI pain due to his ANS stuff and EDS, we did loads of Internet searches and found that eating apples could help with some forms of GORD GERD, so he gave it a try and it did help a lot, so if you can tolarate apples it might be worth a try, not apple juice by the way it does not help.

Hi,

Im suffering with suspected gastritis at the moment and all I can say is it flippin hurts. I have been taking lanzoprazole for years and have been taking it religiously for the last two weeks (before only took it when symptomatic) and I'm worse than ever today.

Unfortunately blood tests have revealed that I am now B12 deficient and it could be down to long term use of lansoprazole. So that is something to be aware of when taking this kind of medication.

I can't tolerate apples otherwise I would try your suggestion Anna, as Im desperate for any relief today. I have constant burning, sharp pain, nausea. Its no fun at all.

Rach

Hi Naomi~

It sounds like I have a similar kind of pain that you do, and my gastro did an endoscopy and found out that I have esophagitis and a small hiatal hernia about a month ago. Both Prilosec and Nexium played around with my BP and especially my HR. My BP still drops when I stand (I have OI), but my heart rate went from its usual jump from 60 to 110-120 to the 140s, and I definitely felt more faint. Right now, I'm taking two 15 mg Prevacid, which is also affecting my HR, so I need to talk to my cardio and gastro doctors about this during my next appointment.

I also had my appendix taken out 2 weeks ago, and it looks like I have celiac disease (here comes the gluten-free diet) and possibly gastritis. It's overwhelming. Until 3 months ago, I had never had digestive issues (except my gall bladder out 2 years ago), and then all of a sudden I have a plethora of them! No fun.

Let us know what they find out, and I would ask for an endoscopy as well. Good luck!

Cheers,

Jana

Jana:

See I knew it. The Dr. looked at me like I was nuts for worrying about side effects from a "mild" OTC medicine and my husband was all annoyed like, you can buy it in the store without a prescription -- it's "just" acid medicine... stop being ridiculous. At least the people HERE get me. So darn, I dunno what to do-- this constant pressure is awful and then burping like a trucker -- and it kinda feels like you can't breathe... I gotta do something. Which would you say was the lesser of two evils -- the Prilosec or Prevacid? I think they do two different things? Also, I wonder if the pill can be cut in half? Let me know your thoughts and what the cardio recommends.

Hi Naomi~

It sounds like I have a similar kind of pain that you do, and my gastro did an endoscopy and found out that I have esophagitis and a small hiatal hernia about a month ago. Both Prilosec and Nexium played around with my BP and especially my HR. My BP still drops when I stand (I have OI), but my heart rate went from its usual jump from 60 to 110-120 to the 140s, and I definitely felt more faint. Right now, I'm taking two 15 mg Prevacid, which is also affecting my HR, so I need to talk to my cardio and gastro doctors about this during my next appointment.

I also had my appendix taken out 2 weeks ago, and it looks like I have celiac disease (here comes the gluten-free diet) and possibly gastritis. It's overwhelming. Until 3 months ago, I had never had digestive issues (except my gall bladder out 2 years ago), and then all of a sudden I have a plethora of them! No fun.

Let us know what they find out, and I would ask for an endoscopy as well. Good luck!

Cheers,

Jana

I've been on a proton pump inhibiter (PPI) for years, as well as an H1 blocker. What that means is, I've either been on 20 mg prilosec or 40 mg nexium/day. I also take tagament (H1) before I go to sleep.

Symptoms or not, side effects or not, these medications are a necessity for me.

BTW, I take Calcium supplements, and liver pills 3X/day, both of which counteract the possible absorption/nutritional issues that the PPI may cause.

I cannot imagine living with constant esophagitis and gastritis. If you are not treating these conditions, you can end up with a precancerous condition called Barrett's Esophagus. You may wind up with pains in the chest mimicking a heart attack.

Maybe, in some cases, the reflux is a result of delayed gastric emptying, IDK?

Hi Rach,

Myself and my children were first put on Lanzoprazole but it just did not work, so we were put on to Omeprazole that actually worked for us, that said when we have bad bouts of GI stuff my son and I have needed to have very high doses for a week or two. Pitty about the apples. I wander if your GI problems might be down to the B12 deficency now, I have just looked up some of the symptoms of B12 deficiency, wow I never thought about it before but I wander how much is ANS related and how much might be a deficiency thing, my kids are due for a blood test so better get some more detailed ones done this time!!!

About vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia

You need vitamin B12 for many important processes inside your body, particularly for making red blood cells and keeping your nerves healthy. If you have a short supply of vitamin B12, your body won't make as many red blood cells, they will be abnormally large and won't last for as long as they should.

If you don't have enough red blood cells, the tissues and organs of your body may not be getting enough oxygen. This leads to the symptoms of anaemia.

Symptoms of vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia

The symptoms of vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia include:

feeling very tired

breathlessness after little exercise

palpitations - the sensation of feeling your heartbeat thumping in your chest

headaches

a reduced appetite

a sore mouth and tongue

If you have vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia, you may also look pale or jaundiced (have a yellowy tinge to your skin and the whites of your eyes).

As well as the symptoms of anaemia, vitamin B12-deficiency may cause symptoms related to your nerves. This is called vitamin B12 neuropathy. It may affect your movement and sensation, especially in your legs, cause numbness or 'pins and needles' and decrease your sensitivity to touch, vibration or pain. It can also cause confusion, depression, poor concentration and forgetfulness.

These symptoms aren't always due to vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia but if you have them, see your GP.

Complications of vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia

If vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia isn't treated, there are a range of possible complications. For example, it can affect your movement and co-ordination and cause confusion and memory loss. It can also put you at risk of heart problems. Ask your GP for more advice.

Hi Anna,

Thanks. Im only just on the scale for b12 deficiency, Im 178 the cut off is 180, however I have numbnes and tingling in my feet and hands. Because of this I am getting tested for intrinsic factor. Im hoping that they will at least try me on the B12 injections so I can see if this improves my hands and feet.

Spoke to my GP yesterday, I have to add gaviscon into the mix along with the lansoprazole. The trouble is gaviscon liquid makes me want to vomit!! So the trick is keeping it down. If this bout doesn't subside in a week he will be trying me on the next level up of medication and refering me for an endoscopy.

I have a very small hiatus hernia so I wonder if this is playing a part. I know that I also suffer with what the Drs have called a spastic colon. So I really thing this is a mixture of gastric issues related to dysautonomia.

I'd love to have a gastric emptying study done to find out what is going on.

Rach

A serum B12 level of 178 is way way way too low. Anything under 350 should be investigated further. If this doctor doesn't order you injections (regardless of the intrinsic factor results), then find one that will! You need them!! Also check out the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnosis. It's a really good book/read. You will find it interesting.

The numbness and tingling will likely go away once you get a few injections. The book talks about how to test for B12 after you've supplemented it too. Serum B12 levels are artificially high once you supplement with it. There are some amazing case studies in the book too.

good luck

A serum B12 level of 178 is way way way too low. Anything under 350 should be investigated further. If this doctor doesn't order you injections (regardless of the intrinsic factor results), then find one that will! You need them!! Also check out the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnosis. It's a really good book/read. You will find it interesting.

Oh Wow from what I have just read it seems that B12 deficiency is big time under diagnosed, not good.

Rach, you might want to try Gaviscon double action tablets, my children were all put on liquid Gaviscon by Gp, but found it made them gag but they found it helped some, so used it for a while, but we have moved to the tabs much easier to deal with. I was in the chemist in Rolle st. and the dispensing lady said we might be able to get the tabs on prescription as she has done a few of them now. We are now paying for them as we thought only the liquid was on prescription.

Hi Dana and Anna,

unfortunately the UK cut off point is 180 before you are classed as B12 deficient. I see in Japan - it was either on here or when I was researching pernicious anaemia that they class anything below 500 as deficient. If I dont get the injections I may try and find a suplement and see if that helps. Its a bit like the joke of our thyroid levels here in the UK, lower than the rest of the world and so many people suffering due to it. But thats another story.

I had the gaviscon liquid due to the reflux burning my throat, so I wanted something to coat it. Its not working as more is coming up than staying down. Sorry to be graphic! I may now try the tablets for a bit. Emailed my GP to tell him of the issue with gaviscon, so may now just go up a medication.

I didn't realise that these proton pump inhibiters can mess around with your BP, that would also explain why I am going through a particularly bad patch at the moment as Im taking the stuff more regularly. I just dont know what to do for the best. I can't cope with feeling like an extra from night of the living dead due to BP crashing on the other hand I can't cope with the constant sour taste in my mouth, belching like a trucker (I love that phrase so I hope its ok that I borrowed it!), stomach pain and vomiting acid in my sleep.

What are you supposed to do!!!!

Thanks

Rach

Naomi~

I don't see my cardio for 2 weeks, but I should be seeing my gastro doc next week. Have you tried Maalox Extra Strength tabs? They take the edge off when I'm really bad. Also, I'm currently taking a pain killer that takes the worst of the pain away from my surgery and esophagitis/hiatal hernia. I can't stay on them too long, but right now they're a life saver. I can get through the day without being in constant pain.

I think it's really important to do the endoscopy and other tests they think necessary to pin down an accurate diagnosis, then you can make the right decision about which med will work for you. For me, Nexium was the worst, then Prilosec, and then Prevacid. I know there are some others to try, too. If nothing works, they can also do surgery....which I may look at if I continue to have such problems with my BP/HR.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like, and let us know what your doctor finds out. You may need to switch to a different gastro if this one doesn't feel like he's working with you. I'm sending you best wishes and encouragement!

Cheers,

Jana