Tachy Or Brachy With Nmh

I spoke to my neuro today and she wants me to wear a event monitor to catch my heart rate when having one of my near syncope or syncope episodes.

She said she needs to know if its tachy or brachy.

But I didnt ask why ? why would she need to know this ?

Do you know if you are tachy or brachy , whats the point in knowing ?

All I know is, I feel like I am dying when having a episode.

I have NMH and POTS, but I don't have brady... when my pressure tanks, and I get syncope or near syncope, it's because my heart rate is more in the normal range like the 80's as opposed to my typical morning 120s before my meds kick in.

Nina

My cardiologist ordered one of these for me to rule out Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. Not sure how they would change your treatment due to this since it seems like ablations are a no-no for dysauto folks.

They figured out my brady aspect of NMH on the TTT when my HR plummeted along with my BP.

oh I see , I am feeling a bit concerned now because my normal heart rate is 50 - 58

but when I have a episode , I cant feel my heart at all ....

its like everything goes silent.

I get breathless , sweaty , dizzy , sickly , shakey and faint.

My gut instinct tells me my heart slows down which is worrying , my fathers family all suffer with heart problems and I have 3 young cousins in their 20s who have pacemakers and heart bypass surgery.

Are these things genetic ?

I get my monitor in 11 days time.

oh I see , I am feeling a bit concerned now because my normal heart rate is 50 - 58

but when I have a episode , I cant feel my heart at all ....

its like everything goes silent.

I get breathless , sweaty , dizzy , sickly , shakey and faint.

My gut instinct tells me my heart slows down which is worrying , my fathers family all suffer with heart problems and I have 3 young cousins in their 20s who have pacemakers and heart bypass surgery.

Are these things genetic ?

I get my monitor in 11 days time.

Hi Mirry-

These things can be genetic. Sounds like you've got quite the family history too B). My guess is that your heart is "brady" when you have a syncope episode. That's the same as my son. His HR can run as low as 30 BPM. No doctor has recommended a pacemaker yet because his will increase with exercise, does yours? My son has benefitted from treatment with a stimulant type medication, Concerta. Have you tried anything like that? At the very least, after confirming you are dealing with bradycardia as opposed to tachycardia- your doc may be able to recommend a more helpful med regimen.

Please let us know what you find out-

Julie

Thanks Julie I will let you know how it goes (only 8 days now).

Yes my heart rate increases with excersize , I use a excersize bike and usually get up to 105 BPM.

Lately I have notised that when I go out and start walking I can feel odd symptoms,

I feel breathless dizzy and unbalanced and get palpatations at the same time, its awful and makes me want to cry. I was told this is probally my blood pressure dropping because I suffer with NMH but Im not so sure.

I forgot to add that my grandmother also had a heart problem all her life but nobody seems to know what it was , apparently she didnt walk any where ever , wish I knew what was wrong with her.

Hi Mirry,

Yes, heart problems can definitely be genetic. I'm adopted, and when I first got sick, I had dilated cardiomyopathy, atrial fib, and bradycardia. I had no idea, I just knew that I had absolutely no energy and felt horrible and couldn't work. At the time, I had congestive heart failure. This is what kicked off my POTS - they believe my heart issues were due to my contracting a virus that's common in AZ, 'Valley Fever'.

I would give your doctor all of the information you can so that they can figure out what's going on with you. It took the Mayo Clinic here in AZ almost a month to put the pieces together and numerous tests, but thank goodness they finally figured it out. I did end up with a pacemaker, because my HR would get into the 30s and 40s, making me feel HORRIBLE. My HR also goes up with exercise....

Please let us know what happens, and what they decide. The monitor helped them determine my heart issues - thank God.

Cheers,

Jana