Allergic To The Sun?

So I've been having issues with rashes, etc. I went to see the allergist today. He didn't listen to most of what I said, and told me POTS will cause such rashes. I kind of wonder if it has anything to do with four rounds of antibiotics over the past two months.

Just lately the oddest things have been happening. Mouth sores, chest pain, rashes on my chest and arms, sores on my scalp. I hope these aren't things that will become "normal" for me because it is truly irritating.

The doctor did send me for a serum tryptase (sp?) blood draw. Not sure what he's looking for. And he prescribed me Xyzol (sp?) to take opposite of the Zyrtec.

Any thoughts?

Angela

Hey Angelika,

I know what your going through. The antibiotics may be part of the reason for rashes that coincide with sun exposure. I myself had many rounds of antibiotics this spring in an attempt to get rid of a stubborn sinus infection. Normally I have no reaction to the sun and antibiotics so I wasn't thinking carefully when my doc put me on a stronger antibiotic than what I'm usually given. I ended up with a week of horrible sunburn-like (but not) rashes after only minimal sun exposure. Of course, after i discovered the reaction I tried to keep covered up but there are some places that clothing and sunscreen just don't cut it, like hands. Certain antibiotics also stay in your system for longer than you are actively taking them.

However, on the other hand I have also experienced many of the other things you mention just in relation to POTS. I go through periods where i get bad scalp and mouth sores. I think that it is a combination of healing more slowly than I did before POTs and also having a weakened/confused immune system. After getting POTS i also developed the type of eczema that occurs in areas that your skin has been damaged. Nothing like horrible, itchy, red, raised sores that won't heal every place you get a blood draw or a scratch. The dermatologist I saw told me that this was because my immune system was confused and was probably related to POTS. I also get the the chest rashes although I've always chocked that up to heat rash-- I usually only get it when my body is not regulating temperature well. I will have periods where my limbs are very cold but my core is not and will wake up with miserable rashes on my torso. This also occurs during periods when I am not sweating enough.

These are all post-POTs problems for me and also seem to cycle with my other symptoms. These past 5 months or so I've had less stress and much fewer symptoms. I also haven't had problems with the sores or eczema. However, after moving (stress) and changing elevations recently I've had a reoccurrence of both the normal POTS symptoms and the skin issues.

I'm now photosensitive, especially on my cheeks and chin. I blame it on pre-Lupus, since I tested positive for the inflammatory markers and other things, though my Rhum won't give me a diagnosis.

It's very difficult to be in a hat and jacket when in 90+ weather, but you learn to deal and acclimate yourself slowly.

So I've been having issues with rashes, etc. I went to see the allergist today. He didn't listen to most of what I said, and told me POTS will cause such rashes. I kind of wonder if it has anything to do with four rounds of antibiotics over the past two months.

Just lately the oddest things have been happening. Mouth sores, chest pain, rashes on my chest and arms, sores on my scalp. I hope these aren't things that will become "normal" for me because it is truly irritating.

The doctor did send me for a serum tryptase (sp?) blood draw. Not sure what he's looking for. And he prescribed me Xyzol (sp?) to take opposite of the Zyrtec.

Any thoughts?

Angela

I have had all the things you've mentioned here although I don't know if they're exactly the same. But, most of them have gotten better since I started taking the H1 and H2 blockers that Mack's mom is always talking about. I don't get as many weird rashes, hives, angioedema, chest pain, etc. I do still get the mouth sores and scalp sores intermittently.

Living in NM we have a LOT of sunshine all the time but I haven't seen a relationship between sun exposure and these symptoms.

Have you had histamine levels drawn? My allergist said that if your histamine levels are high and your tryptase is high it may be mastocytosis. If your histamine levels are high but tryptase is normal it might be mast cell activation disorder. I'm sure Mack's mom can give you better input on this than I can.

I hadn't even considered that the mouth and scalp sores might be related to PoTs. Interesting thought.

Are you taking an H2 blocker like zantac?

Hi Angelika,

I am 'allergic' to the sun now too. It won't cause me to have a visible allergic reaction but I just can't bear the heat of sun on my skin anymore. Which is weird because a few years ago I was swimming daily and actually got a light tan while doing so. (Although I'd get straight in the sea and straight out and under cover once I'd finished). Now I carry an umbrella with me all summer and use it and it really helps -- I can even keep the sun off my hands that way and don't have to use sunscreens which can be problematic for me. Unfortunately, my response to the sun has stopped me swimming. And I can't swim in a pool at all because I AM visibly allergic to chlorine now. Plus they are heated and after 3 laps I feel like I'm swimming in a too hot bath. (I need to have cool showers and am very temperature sensitive. perhaps that's my problem with the sun - that it just makes me hotter and anything that makes me hotter feels intolerable.

blue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Angela-

Looks like he's ruling out mastocytosis with the serum tryptase. There are several kinds of serum tryptase tests. One that sorts out mature & mon-mature cells can only be done at specialized hospitals and takes a long time. The more common one (that you probably had) just takes a few days. Bother your doc & let us know what you find out. Even a slight elevation bears further investigation AND if it's normal....you still have MCAD to consider :rolleyes:

Hope you figure it out.

Julie

Any thoughts?

Angela

I used to be sun intolerant but in the last year or so, I can be out for hours at a time and still feel great. Previously, I'd feel like my body was overheating to the point of having a heat stroke if I didn't get out of the sun.

I would look at viruses that are known to be activated by the sun. Herpes is the only one I know of ... And taking Lysine can help keep this under wraps. I take 2000 mg daily. 1000 at breakfast and 1000 at lunch ...

Also, food allergies can cause mouth sores and rashes.

A lot of celiacs complain of sores on their scalps and say that these go away after they removed gluten from their diets. Mine hasn't been that easy to remedy. Candida plays a role in mine as well as using any type of shampoo with conditioners in it.

HTH ... Marcia

PS. If you have bumps that look like tiny blisters and itch like crazy, you may have DH a type of celiac disease. They used to think that these rashes had to appear symetrically on the body but now they know better. I get tiny little blistery bumps on my abdomen when I've been glutenned. Mine will ooze for a couple of days and then it takes about a week for them to completely clear.