Help- Sitting For 4 Hours In 92 Degree Weather

I'd recommend a cooling vest, but you'll never get it in time. Consider taking a small cooler filled with ice and water, along with a bunch of small hand towels that you can dunk, wring out and place on your neck. A battery operated fan would also generate a satisfying wind chill over the evaporating towel.

Good luck.

Personally, I wouldn't last 15 minutes in that kind of heat, even with all the extra measures. My daughter just graduated high school, and it was around 83-85 degrees. It is a smaller school where they graduated on the football field. We went hours early and parked my vehicle at one of the field goal ends of the field(a teacher's parking lot) and later went back and sat in the vehicle with the a/c running. Of course, it only lasted an hour. BUT, I had to be creative in how I was going to attend my baby's graduation. I figured I was going to miss it with it heating up mid-May, but I came up with a plan at the last minute.

I just wanted to tell you that I can relate to you--it's an important event and you just want to participate! On the other hand, my oldest will graduate with her master's in Dec., but even though it is cool and inside, I can't sit in the arena chairs, as I have to be at a slight recline. I may just have to tell her I was there for her B.A. degree, but missing this one. Sometimes we can only do what we can only do.

Although I don't have any advice for the original poster I wanted to ask Sue if she had thought about requesting special seating. Although I am not sure where your daughter is graduating, since you said it was arena seating I'm assuming that it will probably be very similar to my own graduation (B.A.) I just attended in May. I personally would contact the arena or events center that they are having the graduation in. The stadium/event center that my graduation was held in has many areas with no seats on the balcony (ground level from outside) that are provided for people in wheelchairs and those with limited mobility/and or ability to go up and down stairs and most colleges are very similar. Generally because these were created with wheelchair users in mind you can bring your own seating (a reclining camp or lawn chair, perhaps?) and the staff at the events center are generally very familiar with those types of requests and will be more than happy to help you carry the chair or anything you need as far a accommodations from your vehicle outside if contacted prior to the big day.

My son's college graduation is on Thursday in Baltimore. The ceremony is outside and it is supposed to be in the 90's Wed. and Thursday. Any suggestions on how to survive 4 hours sitting in the sun? I'll take extra salt tabs., my usual meds, wear a hat, drink lots of water. Is there anything else?

As noted you would never get a cooling vest in time but this is an idea I've been thinking of using in a pinch - they sell 'ice blankets' in grocery stores around here - basically about 12 iinches by 20 inches which you freeze and then are to lay on top of your cooler when picnicking. Freezing a couple of these and then using them with a light scarf or blanket might really help keep you from crashing.

Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice. I'll see if I can locate a mister, battery fan and the ice "blankets". I was told there were approximately 3500 graduating from Hopkins (undergrad and grad). Since my hotel is directly across the street from the stadium, if I find out my son is late in the program, perhaps I can scoot back to the hotel for a while. Wish me luck! Yippee- no more tuition! :)