Questions On Iron Supplementation Etc.

Hi again!

I have been posting very rarely for a while now. I keep hoping to get back to the board more (writing, that is... I do read the board somewhat frequently.) I guess I feel like I owe an explanation to everyone, because I know sometimes I ask questions and then haven't been the best at responding or participating in other's posts. I apologize, and hope to get better at responding.

I have a hunch that most of you know the feeling I have been experiencing... I have just gotten so frustrated and fed up with everything health related that when it comes time to chill on the computer, I just want to get away from health related anything. So, no, my lack of appearances on the board does not mean I am feeling better, but just fed up and avoiding too much of anything health related. Now that I have done that for a while, I am trying to get back into being my own advocate and trying to find some progress in all things health related, and do less spinning of my wheels.

To my question: (one of many to come I am sure... :P )

As many of you know I was finally tested properly and found to have a low ferretin level (wow, it's been about a year now!), indicating that I have iron deficient anemia. My original test was 3 and I think as high that I have tested since is 13 with oral iron supplements. But, that is still quite low, and I can feel it is low now, and does make my symptoms worse. So, I know that it is something that I want to concentrate on treating. I have been trying to do better with food, and take the supplements. But, my GI system does not like the iron, nor does my toilet. (TMI, I know... :D ) But, it only makes a bad situation worse, when someone like myself has to plunge a toilet too often... that really sets off my symptoms. So, I am quite done with the oral iron that I have been trying. It also makes my GERD/nausea worse as well. Also, this is one of the three pills a day that they want me on! And I tried every other day or once a week. It does not matter. Any of it is bad.

So, I talked again with my PCP and he brought up testing to see where I am currently and if still low to try IV iron supplementation.

SO... Who has tried IV iron? How did it go? What do you recommend based on your experiences?

I have heard that people can develop a lot of not so fun side effects, so I am not sure that I even want to go this way??? I am very sensitive to meds etc.

Anyone else have experience with??? :)

I'll be interested to follow your story and see how it goes.

Depending on the form of iron I take I have the opposite affect and it causes me to get the runs. I now take Flintstones with iron everyday and then I bought some slow FE that I try to take a couple times a week.

I need to get my iron levels checked again and have the lab requisition slip here with me I just need to make the trip to the lab.

The ferrous sulfate gives me the runs.

Ferrous fumarate is in the Flinstones and I do okay with that.

And the Slow Fe has ferrous sulfate silicified?

I've had issues with anemia since my 4th pregnancy and now have very heavy periods every three weeks so this is a concern here also.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

"I guess I feel like I owe an explanation to everyone, because I know sometimes I ask questions and then haven't been the best at responding or participating in other's posts. I apologize, and hope to get better at responding."

I too haven't been feeling "better", but am sick of health related stuff. I still read often but am usually too tired or brain dead to respond much, and for that I also apologize.

On the iron thing. I'm sooo glad someone else has the opposite effect from it. I thought it was just me. I just started taking some because although I've not been tested the proper way, I'm sure I'm low. It is not normal to need to sleep 12 hours. I was found to be anemic when I was pregnant, and my mom has always had low iron. It's only been 3 days, but already I'm less tired. Still have POTS though. I don't really have any advice, except to eat before taking them, and someone else said Cream of Wheat and Black Strap Molasses, those are two great ways to get more.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

"I guess I feel like I owe an explanation to everyone, because I know sometimes I ask questions and then haven't been the best at responding or participating in other's posts. I apologize, and hope to get better at responding."

I too haven't been feeling "better", but am sick of health related stuff. I still read often but am usually too tired or brain dead to respond much, and for that I also apologize.

On the iron thing. I'm sooo glad someone else has the opposite effect from it. I thought it was just me. I just started taking some because although I've not been tested the proper way, I'm sure I'm low. It is not normal to need to sleep 12 hours. I was found to be anemic when I was pregnant, and my mom has always had low iron. It's only been 3 days, but already I'm less tired. Still have POTS though. I don't really have any advice, except to eat before taking them, and someone else said Cream of Wheat and Black Strap Molasses, those are two great ways to get more.