An Experiement.

Hi guys

can I ask you to participate in a quick test - for thjose that have good and bad days. Can you weigh yourself on good and bad days and see if you can see a correlation between weight variations and symptoms. cheers. You dont have to say how much you weigh, just whether tehre is a variation.

thanks!!

I think I feel a little better when I am retaining fluids... I can tell because my wedding rings are too tight. Normally they slip around on my finger... so I would say yes I feel better when I weigh more.

Also I would drop weight very quickly when I was having an episode before I was diagnosed and on a beta blocker.

My weight varies very little and I wonder if I have slow gastric emptying, because it seems like I can eat more than I should and not gain weight. I usually weigh between 117-119, regardless if I'm feeling better or worse. My lows usually last quite a long time, though, with my highs only a day or two every once in a while. What do other people eat? I consume about 1600/1650 calories a day, but I'm 48 and not very active. When I look at the formulas and talk to dieticians about how much I should be eating for my activity level, it's usually more around 1500 per day.

Anyone else?

J

I keep myself on a very restrictive diet to help maintain my pots symptoms. I can't take meds so I do as much as possible with food to help with my condition. Therefore my weight doesn't vary much at all. I lost 30 pounds when I was first dx with pots and another 15 when I had my appendix ruptured, but have not gained any of that weight back as of yet. I do a limited amount of exercise when I can, but I am surprised that I don't gain any of that weight back. So to answer your question my symptoms don't vary with my weight.

Maggie

My weight only fluctuates 5 or 6 pounds. Oddly enough, I actually feel worse when I'm at the higher end. Usually at these times I'm either about to start my period or my gut has slowed quite a bit. If I'm heavier because of the gut issues, I feel extremely fatigued and nauseated. However, I know that I do benefit from taking in large amounts of fluid and salt. If I'm bloated because I'm at the end of my cycle, I almost always feel better as soon as the excess fluid comes off. I don't get it at all.

My weight can fluctuate anywhere between 1-8 pounds in 24 hrs. I have only noticed a weak correlation between higher weight and feeling better. Some days I do and some days I don't.

I'm with Firewatcher. Historically, my weight can fluctuate by as much as 8 pounds in 24 hours although for the past 6 months it's been more like 2-3 pound fluctuations from one day to the next. I have been keeping a log of symptoms and daily weights but haven't seen a correlation yet on a day to day basis. I did lose 10 pounds very rapidly when I got sick initially and when I started feeling a bit better gained 8 pounds back in 2-3 pound jumps.

I have a scale that purports to tell you a percentage of body fat and percent of water. Have been trying to see if there is a correlation with the percent of H2O and my energy level but haven't really seen a relationship. Can't honestly say that I've seen a correlation with how much I drink either. I'm always under hydrated according to this thing.

Rama,

I have a body fat scale which measures body water percentage too. I haven't noticed any link between my weight (or body water) and my symptoms. It sounds like there might be a correlation for you, though, even if there isn't for the rest of us...

My weight doesn't vary much over a short period of time. I am 2 or 3 pounds lighter in the morning than in the evening. It is that way every day, no matter if it is a good day or a bad day.

Over longer periods of time (5 months or more) my weight varies by 20 pounds. I am always within a healthy BMI, but I feel a little bit better when I'm on the upper end of my weight fluctuation.

Rachel

I've been thinking about this and since my POTS has been acting up (I've actually felt like passing out at work for the first time in months and had to hide out in the server room with my feet up over my head) I'm at the lowest weight I've been in a while. 154lbs, where I was at 160lbs.

I haven't been able to get myself to eat, because I'm not hungry, too busy, and not craving, and when I do eat, it comes out too fast. So I think you may be onto something! Lower weight does make a person more easily able to faint though, so I dunno...

[shrugs]

Yesterday I got myself to eat a homemade hamburger and a bottle of gatorade and it stayed in.

After that I had cake...and it stayed in, too.

I gained two pounds back, and I feel better!

So maybe you're onto something here...!