Toting Food And Drinks With You

lieze

Does anyone else notice they have to make sure they eat and drink frequently to avoid feeling very weak. It might be a blood sugar thing.

My daughter is prepping for dance recital.

We were at the civic center for almost three hours had eaten a late lunch and I just started to feel it. My heart felt like it was keeping up but I just got the feeling I was running on empty.

It just makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I have 4 kids to manage that entire time so there is extra stress.

I must burn so many calories an hour with my metabolism and dealing with the kids-it's something every 5 minutes with them. Or I have the little ones climbing and pushing on me so even though I'm sitting it's a work out.

I had taken a Gatorade and was taking sips of that when no one was looking.

Are there any types of foods you take with when you know you'll be out for a while so you don't get that weak feeling.

I am just wiped out now and I think part of it is due to not keeping myself fueled.

I completely understand this! In the beginning of my ordeal I was sure I had diabetes cause I had such horrible blood sugar swings. I would check it and it would be fine. After reading that adrenal book I think I figured out mine was related to the adrenal glands. I just keep snacks and water/powerade with me as much as possible! :-)

KC

Guest tearose

I always have little bars and water in the car with me and if I am going to go into a waiting room I'll grab a few things. Also, I can snack in the car.

My variety includes soy bars, oat bars, peanut butter crackers...and water and electrolytes.

Just take a few of what appeals to you and that you can tolerate.

I always have my water bottle with me. I also carry Propel packets and add those to my water if necessary. I try to keep low fiber granola bars in my purse so that I am never without food if I need something. Pudding cups and juice boxes are also good snacks for me to keep around. Before my gastroparesis got too bad I would keep almonds and/or peanuts handy.

There have been times I've been caught without food (like when I had eaten the snacks during a previous outing and forgot to replenish my stash). In those cases, a run through the drive through for a milkshake at McDonald's or a Vivano at Starbucks becomes necessary.

Don't be shy about taking what you need wherever you go, even if it is to a movie theater, a concert, or a nice store. I have found that people are very understanding if you have it with you for medical reasons.

Rachel

i always take a box with some chicken, whole bread and nuts with me wherever i go and something to drink of course. Even if i have to go out for a meal with my family or if iam invited to a birthday party because if i feel my blood sugar dropping i need to eat something straight away and in those sort of situationsi cant wait for the"official" food to be served. I normally have to eat a tiny amount (a few bites) every 30 to 45 minutes. But it must be something that keeps my bloodsugar more or less stable, like chicken and nuts.

Yes if I miss a meal im goners. But i dont agree that it has anything to do with pre-diabetes hypoglycemia or adrenal gland disfunction.

It has a lot to do with a brain that is starved of oxygen which i needs to convert glucose in the mitochondria. Without oxygen brain lactate levels become elevated and all POTS and CFS patients have elecated cerebral lactate levels from impaired glucose metabolism which is caused by cerebral hypoperfusion. the brain is being starved not only of blood and oxygen but also glucose.

If you dont believe me, stay in bed lying down all day and I guarantee you will not experience this symptom.

I too have to take snacks with me every time I'm out - to the point that when I'm at church I go out during a hymn half way through and eat a pack of crisps/peanuts then go back in :) feels really childish, but it's necessary so they can like it or lump it :(

Here in AZ, it's not uncommon at all for people to carry water and electrolyte drinks with them 24/7, especially during our 'warmer' months (April/May thru October!). I really like Balance bars, and they make them in non-chocolate varieties so they don't melt in my backpack. Also, muffins or bagels are good. When I was working outdoors in the field, I also would bring along beef jerky or raisins. When I'm flying, I must have at least plenty of water and a bar or two.

i'll always bring a bottle of aquarius and salty biscuits with me and really don't care what other people think. like rachel says, when you eat or drink for medical reasons people always understand!

corina :(

btw i do have a large purse to take everything i need :)

Hey, POTSGIRL, glad you posted about AZ. I will be flying to Phoenix next Saturday, then on to Maricopa with a rental car, with (if I am up to it), a visit to the Arizona-Sonoma Desert Museum in Tucson on May 23rd. I will definitely have my water (always do), but I will also have my squirt-bottle and umbrella. Squirting myself with water is a must.

I know it's asking a lot of myself to travel and do.......but, as usual, I'm pushing and doing. I thought I'd try...

Just wanted to let you know I'd be in the area. I'll be in Maricopa for a week. Maybe we could talk?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I agree with Ramakentesh. I think the lack of oxygen can cause all kinds of strange, uncomfortable sensations. And I always have lack of oxygen when vertical. I do not have "remissions". The malfunctioning orthostatic intolerance issue, is always present. There are some days where I can tolerate more, but the underlying issue is always present.

If I want to decrease my tolerance to being vertical I can:

be under additional stress

be hungry

be thirsty

be sleep deprived

be sick

be trying a new medicine that affects the nervous system (I hated Neurontin...made me so bad)

be hypothyroid

bend over too much

be out in the heat too long

overextend myself

quit exercising all together

I can go on and on. I've had to adjust my life, of course.

Futurehope,

Hey there's a good Wild Animal Park, here in Phoenix too. It's out west of town. They raise animals for the zoo's. It's not very big, but we like it. Haven't been to the one in Tuscon. What's it like? It's supposed to almost make the triple digits by the weekend. So be prepared. Have fun. You can definitly use your bathing suit.

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum on the fringe of Tucson is world-reowned, and really interesting to visit. It's one of the top visitor draws here, but it is primarily outdoors, and you need to make sure you bring plenty of water, sunscreen, and a hat along if you go (even an umbrella can be used if they're not too crowded). I just looked at the weather forecast, and it's supposed to be 92 degrees on Sunday and Monday, May 23 & 24. If anyone is in town and wants to go, I would like to go along and meet some of my Forum friends, if possible.