Really Need A Break From Brain Fog

It takes me all day to get through the posts I want to read. Since this is the first forum on my Bookmarks, it's usually the only one I even visit anymore. I can make posts, but I can't even go back and proofread them...I just have to hope they make sense. Anytime I try to read anything longer than a couple of sentences my eyes lose focus and I space out completely. Posting takes forever. Phone calls or any sort of real-time conversation I can't do. I can't do anything, even have fun because I lack the brainpower. Can't even watch TV.

When I went off the zoloft and klonopin it was like waking up after a coma. Suddenly I was me again. I could think. Now the brain fog is coming back, it's almost constant. I don't know why and I can't do anything to stop it! I don't wanna lose my life again, I just got it back!

So sorry. :( Brain fog can be my most discouraging and disabling symptoms.

I recently had a bad bout of brain fog because I had tried to do too much thinking, reading, and studying (all while lying down). It took several days of extra rest and no reading to pull out of it. I laid in bed a lot and watched brainless tv shows.

Have you ever tried Cerefolin? It has been a help to me with the brain fog. It doesn't completely take it away, but it certainly helps.

Wishing you less foggy days,

Rachel

Guest tearose

For brain fog I also try to help my brain by meditating. I also take out my Mozart CD or some type of classical music and listen to it while focusing on a puzzle or writing with my non dominant hand. It is good to "work" the grey matter as well as allow time to rest it!

Hope clearer days are soon back!

Brain fog is my worst symptom. I feel like over the last couple of years, I have improved somewhat in my physical stamina but the brain fog still is quite disabling.

I find it impossible to keep up with all the posts on the board and can not reply to all the posts I would like to. I just fatigue way too easily. Sometimes I feel bad that I am not able to give more support to other members by replying more often, but it is more than I can seem to do. I'm not sure how some of you do it ... it really does take a lot of thinking and energy ...both of which I am lacking.

There is no way I could listen to music and work on puzzles, because I can't seem to concentrate with any kind of distraction. I can't talk on the phone when my dishwasher is on in the other room because it is too distracting. I have to mute TV commercials to talk to my husband because I can not concentrate on our conversation with any noise. It's very frustrating.

Actually, I have been working with an occupational therapist for a while doing cognitive rehab. I was really unsure if it would be of any benefit since I believed my fog was caused by poor cerebral perfusion. My therapist has been wonderful!! ....so patient and understanding. And I do feel it is helping me. It is not really making the fog go away, but it is teaching me strategies to help me remember things, and focus my attention. It's not happening fast, but after 3 years of this, even slow progress is exciting!

Just replying to this has taken me 1/2 hour of thinking about what I wanted to say and typing it and my brain is worn out :(.

Sorry you are dealing with this too, KeXia. Here's hoping our fog lifts!

Summer

Guest tearose

oh dear summer, I am so sorry, I didn't realize how thick the fog is right now for you! I really do understand.

In my worst relapse I could not even tell the kitchen utensils apart from each other!!! I kept looking at them trying to understand why I couldn't separate the forks from the spoons and knives and then there were large ones and small ones...it took me a long time and I was exhausted afterwards.

I am glad you have OT to help you. For a short time I did too!

My suggestions are for ways to help regain cognitive function and lift the fog. It may be a long time before anyone could try but it helped me.

Also, I only post on this forum and it is my "support group/ family " so if I am able, I post. If I can't I know others will and I can take care to replenish myself.

I am so glad you can share whatever you can!

best regards,

tearose

oh dear summer, I am so sorry, I didn't realize how thick the fog is right now for you! I really do understand.

In my worst relapse I could not even tell the kitchen utensils apart from each other!!! I kept looking at them trying to understand why I couldn't separate the forks from the spoons and knives and then there were large ones and small ones...it took me a long time and I was exhausted afterwards.

I am glad you have OT to help you. For a short time I did too!

My suggestions are for ways to help regain cognitive function and lift the fog. It may be a long time before anyone could try but it helped me.

Also, I only post on this forum and it is my "support group/ family " so if I am able, I post. If I can't I know others will and I can take care to replenish myself.

I am so glad you can share whatever you can!

best regards,

tearose

Tearose, You are so sweet, and your posts are always so encouraging. Last fall I posted a question about cognitive rehab and whether or not it would be helpful for our cognitive issues since they are caused by perfusion deficits. It was you who posted and first made me think about the possibility that an OT might be able to teach me some strategies to compensate for my weaknesses. That played a big part in my decision to try it. Thank you so much for that encouragement. It really has made a difference.

Your example about the kitchen utensils really lets me know that you have been where I am! That is exactly the kind of thing I deal with at times. In fact, last weekend, I was trying to set the table and was mixing up which side I should put the forks on. Then when I looked back at settings I had already done on the table, I really confused myself! I stood there trying to figure out my left from my right and trying to figure out whether the ones I had done already were correct or not. Things like this used to be automatic and took NO thinking at all.

It is impossible for others to understand this so I have given up telling anyone, because it has to sound like I'm making it up. How wonderful it is to have this place to come, and have kind people like you tell me they really do understand, and I know they are not just saying it.

Hugs to you for all you do on this forum (((((((((Tearose)))))))))) and for your encouragement to me.

Summer

Unfortunately i havent found anything that helps long term.

I found that licorice can give you a boost and a clearer clarity at times - even as the candy providing it contains that gly... stuff.

Caffeine (which im very wary of now days) can help for maybe ten minutes but then you'll probably (if your like me) crash worse afterwards.

Butchers broom helped for a while for me by increasing blood flow to the brain.

Another thing ive noted is that if I take a beta blocker the night before I have a big I wake up clearer for most of the day. Not sure why.

Tearose, You are so sweet, and your posts are always so encouraging. Last fall I posted a question about cognitive rehab and whether or not it would be helpful for our cognitive issues since they are caused by perfusion deficits. It was you who posted and first made me think about the possibility that an OT might be able to teach me some strategies to compensate for my weaknesses. That played a big part in my decision to try it. Thank you so much for that encouragement. It really has made a difference.

Your example about the kitchen utensils really lets me know that you have been where I am! That is exactly the kind of thing I deal with at times. In fact, last weekend, I was trying to set the table and was mixing up which side I should put the forks on. Then when I looked back at settings I had already done on the table, I really confused myself! I stood there trying to figure out my left from my right and trying to figure out whether the ones I had done already were correct or not. Things like this used to be automatic and took NO thinking at all.

It is impossible for others to understand this so I have given up telling anyone, because it has to sound like I'm making it up. How wonderful it is to have this place to come, and have kind people like you tell me they really do understand, and I know they are not just saying it.

Hugs to you for all you do on this forum (((((((((Tearose)))))))))) and for your encouragement to me.

Summer

Thanks for bringing these concrete examples up, Summer. I have such difficulties and have for a while and had no idea what my issues were with it. I just tend to be hard on myself and they seem so little yet are so frustrating (things like not being able to sort silverware or set the table) that they bring me to tears and I end up embarrassed to tell docs.

Did you get a referral from your primary for OT?

Guest tearose

Deep bow. Please thank yourself as well. I am only reflecting back that which I have been given from others!

Yes, my PCP ordered the OT.

hugs and appreciation back to you,

tearose

Thanks for bringing these concrete examples up, Summer. I have such difficulties and have for a while and had no idea what my issues were with it. I just tend to be hard on myself and they seem so little yet are so frustrating (things like not being able to sort silverware or set the table) that they bring me to tears and I end up embarrassed to tell docs.

Did you get a referral from your primary for OT?

I know what you mean about being embarassed to tell doctors, Reen. I had one literally raise his eyebrows at me in disbelief. I felt sick to my stomach. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Thankfully, I saw a neuropsychologist for testing and he totally believed me and documented my problem. It was him who recommended the cognitive rehab for me. He also ruled out any psych issue that might be causing my problem.

So sorry. :( Brain fog can be my most discouraging and disabling symptoms.

I recently had a bad bout of brain fog because I had tried to do too much thinking, reading, and studying (all while lying down). It took several days of extra rest and no reading to pull out of it. I laid in bed a lot and watched brainless tv shows.

Have you ever tried Cerefolin? It has been a help to me with the brain fog. It doesn't completely take it away, but it certainly helps.

Wishing you less foggy days,

Rachel

Is it bad that I have no recollection of starting this thread? I was really frustrated, so I'm glad I got that out. I'm a little bit better today.

I'll look into the Cerefolin. Sounds like it can't hurt, the hard part will be getting my new doc to prescribe it. He only wants to prescribe anti-depressants so far. Won't hurt to ask anyway.

For brain fog I also try to help my brain by meditating. I also take out my Mozart CD or some type of classical music and listen to it while focusing on a puzzle or writing with my non dominant hand. It is good to "work" the grey matter as well as allow time to rest it!

Hope clearer days are soon back!

Sadly, one of the most frustrating things for me is that I can't meditate. It seems to be an exercise in futility, and very scary.

The classical music is a good idea.

Brain fog is my worst symptom. I feel like over the last couple of years, I have improved somewhat in my physical stamina but the brain fog still is quite disabling.

I find it impossible to keep up with all the posts on the board and can not reply to all the posts I would like to. I just fatigue way too easily. Sometimes I feel bad that I am not able to give more support to other members by replying more often, but it is more than I can seem to do. I'm not sure how some of you do it ... it really does take a lot of thinking and energy ...both of which I am lacking.

There is no way I could listen to music and work on puzzles, because I can't seem to concentrate with any kind of distraction. I can't talk on the phone when my dishwasher is on in the other room because it is too distracting. I have to mute TV commercials to talk to my husband because I can not concentrate on our conversation with any noise. It's very frustrating.

Actually, I have been working with an occupational therapist for a while doing cognitive rehab. I was really unsure if it would be of any benefit since I believed my fog was caused by poor cerebral perfusion. My therapist has been wonderful!! ....so patient and understanding. And I do feel it is helping me. It is not really making the fog go away, but it is teaching me strategies to help me remember things, and focus my attention. It's not happening fast, but after 3 years of this, even slow progress is exciting!

Just replying to this has taken me 1/2 hour of thinking about what I wanted to say and typing it and my brain is worn out :(.

Sorry you are dealing with this too, KeXia. Here's hoping our fog lifts!

Summer

Oh, thank you Summer. Your post made me feel so NORMAL.

I think I'll check into occupational therapy. Although I think my brain fog is related to blood flow or something similar, I think it might be a good idea, therapy wise, to treat it like I have a learning disability. At least until I find my miracle cure. I've already started (or started trying anyway, hehe) to read up on adult ADD and see if I can apply it to myself.