Topamax

My son took Topamax 1 1/2 years ago for about 5 months. He took is as a migraine preventative. He was in the eighth grade at the time, so the side effects he had from it were not good for a student.

He had trouble formulating complete sentences, he couldn't think of simple words. He had trouble reading as well. I called his teachers and asked them to not have him read aloud to the class. He also had a tin taste in his mouth, ringing in his ears and soft drinks tasted off. He stopped having migraines immediately once he started it and has not had one since. If he was not a student still trying to learn, the side effects probably would have been tolerable. The nickname for Topamax is Dopamax, and my son completely agreed.

I've been on it for a couple years for migraines and manic depression and weight loss. I ditto the brain fog issues, the tin taste, and you will not be able to drink soft drinks. Also, you will need to drink VAST QUANTITIES of water. It's a pill for people with binge eating issues, which I don't have, but it still treats you for it, so you'll also not be able to eat but in small amounts. So you'll probably lose weight.

It helped with the headaches and the mood swings, so I stay on it. But the mood swings come back about every six months or so, so I have to up it. You can go up to at least 300mg, and I'm only at 150mg. So I have a way to go.

I don't like the side effects (it also affects sleep when you increase dose, so be wary of insomnia, nightmares, and night sweats) but the migraines were far worse.

Hi! I have just been given topamax and I am wondering if anyone else has had any experience with it? ....Pat

I am on 50 mg 2 x daily as a migraine preventative. The dose has been reduced to a tolerable level for side effects and it does decrease migraine frequency.

A lot of the side effects will depend on dosing and whether you have good results will also depend on what dose works.

good luck