Please send a few good thoughts my way...

JLB

Everything seems to be lining up for me to head full-tilt into an episode: Lots of stress in my personal life, not taking good care of myself because of it, and now I've got a terrible cold.

Brain fog, sleep disturbances, and of course the h/b irregularities. Broke out in the rash last week, and my digestion is a bit messed up. Headaches, hard time eating. Now, I'm starting to have (more exaggerated) problems upon standing up, and we all know where that goes.

I don't really have any support, and life is tough - except for my kids, who are grown now and just wonderful. But they're my kids, and I don't want to burden them, so please - send a few thoughts my way when you think of it. It's really hard to be alone with this situation.

Thanks for letting me unburden myself, everyone.

JLB

So sorry you are going through a difficult flare up. Are you on any meds or have you been? Is there anything you can change with your treatment that you think might help? Hope this is short-lived. In the meantime, please try to take care of yourself with extra healthy whole foods, rest, and any exercise you can tolerate.

We're here for you and thinking of you!

Katherine

Hang in there, JLB--and remember, this too shall pass.

There's so much in our lives that we have no control over ... and unfortunately, it's easy to forget about those things we CAN control. It's great that you know what your own triggers are...please remember what you know about how to redirect those triggers. Taking care of yourself, both physically and emotionally, is key--and so hard sometimes! For me, figuring out how to manage the emotional/stress piece is the hardest part. So when I'm down and out as you are, I focus on the physical piece, which is easier for me to control, and I start taking stuff that can help me heal and keep up my strength and energy: take advil or tylenol; antioxidant vitamins or a multi-vitamin and tons of extra vitamin C; Zicam (homeopathic cold remedy) can help relieve symptoms and shorten the duration of a cold without causing side effects; if you don't feel up to eating and taking in the salt you need that way, drink gatorade with salt mixed in (add a packet or two and just gulp it down) or take a salt tablet or two -- with a cold (which I also have right now), staying hydrated is hard, but it's so important. Call in sick if you're working now and sleep sleep sleep! (That can help ease stress as well as allow your body to heal.) That digestion stuff is all about the stress too, unfortunately. Isn't it awful how all our systems get messed up proportionately with the stress levels in our lives?

I feel for you--and I'm definitely sending healing thoughts your way. Take care,

Merrill

Hi JLB!

Sorry to hear things have taken a downturn. I'm riding through a rough patch at the moment, too. At the risk of sounding repetative, I have to agree with the others about especially taking care of your physical distress -- for myself, if I let that slip (as I'm now recovering from :) ), everything else is so much harder to deal with. I'm glad you chose to tell us about your difficulty, especially since you don't feel you have much else support to rely on. I'll be praying for peace of mind for you and wisdom in treating yourself and the stress situation. Keep talking to us -- we all need help at some point (that's why we've all joined the forum, right? :) Sending some cheery thoughts your way! Stay strong and don't give up! :)

Angela

Guest Julia59

Please try to take things one day at a time, and try to avoid letting the stress take over your life.

My prayers are with you----and I hope this is just a temporary set back that will pass soon.

Julie :0)

JLB,

I am so sorry that you are having a rough time. I wished I could be your support there. I am sending good thoughts to you. This will pass but I know it doesn't help right now. I don't have any other advice that the others haven't already stated. Lots of hugs sent to you.

Paige

JLB,

This will sound like some of the other advice but it is so important to be repeated. Do everything you can to head off a downhill slide. If there is anyone like a counselor you can go to to talk about your stress maybe you should do that pronto and of course come to this forum like you are doing. I see what stress does to Nicole and I see what the alleviation of stress does too. You are watching things snowball in the wrong direction. Brain fog makes it harder to focus on what you need to do so that you can intervene in your own behalf. What I would do is make a list on paper of everything that is feeling wrong - healthwise/symptoms and stress- and next to it what you can do to try and alleviate those things. This way it's on paper in front of you - a plan- some clarity. And then take it one step at a time. I will keep positive thoughts going for you. Take care.

Beverly

JLB,

I can sympathize with you. I've had a few months of feeling better and now I'm in a rough patch too. It really ***** to go downhill again, but I'm determined not to slide all the way to the bottom of the pit! :) I hope you can keep your chin up too. I agree with Merrill's recommendations and everyone elses' too. Do whatever it takes to prevent things from getting worse. You said there's a lot of stress in your life right now and you don't want to be a burden to your children. I'm not sure what your relationship is with them, but sometimes it's good to share your stresses with someone you love. Just talking about them to someone you feel comfortable with can sometimes lighten the load and put things in perspective. They may also have some solutions you haven't thought of. I do understand though about not wanting to burden your family. I often just tell my mother that I'm feeling "fine" when I'm really not. I am grateful for this forum. Electronic hugs are definitely helpful! I'm sending one your way.

I'll be pulling for you and thinking about good stuff coming your way. Try to take a deep breath and remember to take some chill time if you need it.

Nina :)

JLB,

ugh, i hate that feeling of knowing that you are sliding/collapsing.

i can often feel it coming on too...and will maybe even say to my therapist or someone, 'i can feel a crash coming on.' i wish i was better about pacing myself before it hits, but sometimes i push through things b/c i want to do them so badly (i.e. the holidays and visiting and the reunion).

maybe you since you feel the crash coming on and you got lots of 'motherly' advice from us folks here...you will take heed and gulp down the gatorade and watch some good TV or movies! :) easier said than done when you don't have someone to take care of you and you have the demands of every day life to take care of! aaargh!

i really think they need like some sort of respite care for us...you know, so that we could recup and not have to worry about cooking, cleaning, groceries....okay, so i'm dreaming. i want that for the caregivers too! ;)

well, i've gotta go hit the hay too as the reunion exertion hit me hard all of the sudden today. what is up with that? aaaarrrrgh!

hang on JLB. there is just no way around it, crashes stink. but, you will come out of it. and while you're in the potshole...vent to us! we're here.

emily

Oh gosh, you guys are just the best. Thank you so much. Such wonderful support and advice, and I really don't know what I'd do without you all.

I'm actually going to reread it all again, and use these posts to make that list you suggested, Beverly. That is just a terrific idea.

I'm going to spend the day writing out a "battle plan" of sorts that I can keep with me. (And watching some bad TV. I need a day to just put my feet up.) Really difficult night last night, especially with the heart rate and rhythm. I don't normally get awakened by it, but I did last night - really distracting.

I don't know what to say. Thank you all.