Coq10 ,cfs, And Heart Issues

For those of you on CoQ10, what dosage do you take?

My cardio has me on a statin because he wants my cholesterol ultra-low due to my high stroke risks. However, he never mentioned CoQ10. I have to stick with this doc for a while longer and must educate him. What dose has your docs recommended?

Coenzyme Q10 deficiency in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is related to fatigue, autonomic and neurocognitive symptoms and is another risk factor explaining the early mortality in ME/CFS due to cardiovascular disorder.

Maes M, Mihaylova I, Kubera M, Uytterhoeven M, Vrydags N, Bosmans E.

Maes Clinics, Antwerp, Belgium. crc.mh@telenet.be

Abstract

INTRODUCTION: Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a medical illness characterized by disorders in inflammatory and oxidative and nitrosative (IO&NS) pathways. METHODS: This paper examines the role of Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), a mitochondrial nutrient which acts as an essential cofactor for the production of ATP in mitochondria and which displays significant antioxidant activities. Plasma CoQ10 has been assayed in 58 patients with ME/CFS and in 22 normal controls; the relationships between CoQ10 and the severity of ME/CFS as measured by means of the FibroFatigue (FF) scale were measured. RESULTS: Plasma CoQ10 was significantly (p=0.00001) lower in ME/CFS patients than in normal controls. Up to 44.8% of patients with ME/CFS had values beneath the lowest plasma CoQ10 value detected in the normal controls, i.e. 490 microg/L. In ME/CFS, there were significant and inverse relationships between CoQ10 and the total score on the FF scale, fatigue and autonomic symptoms. Patients with very low CoQ10 (<390 microg/L) suffered significantly more from concentration and memory disturbances. DISCUSSION: The results show that lowered levels of CoQ10 play a role in the pathophysiology of ME/CFS and that symptoms, such as fatigue, and autonomic and neurocognitive symptoms may be caused by CoQ10 depletion. Our results suggest that patients with ME/CFS would benefit from CoQ10 supplementation in order to normalize the low CoQ10 syndrome and the IO&NS disorders. The findings that lower CoQ10 is an independent predictor of chronic heart failure (CHF) and mortality due to CHF may explain previous reports that the mean age of ME/CFS patients dying from CHF is 25 years younger than the age of those dying from CHF in the general population. Since statins significantly decrease plasma CoQ10, ME/CFS should be regarded as a relative contraindication for treatment with statins without CoQ10 supplementation.

PMID: 20010505 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Hey Reen I have mito and I take 1600mg per day of Tishcons Q Gel. Early on 6 years ago one of my many blood tests came back high cholesterol, so I was given a statin. It knocked me out, bed bound for 2 months. Had I known then what I know now statins deplete our Co Q-10 levels and can point toward mito problems, could have saved me a rough 6 years.

Hey Reen I have mito and I take 1600mg per day of Tishcons Q Gel. Early on 6 years ago one of my many blood tests came back high cholesterol, so I was given a statin. It knocked me out, bed bound for 2 months. Had I known then what I know now statins deplete our Co Q-10 levels and can point toward mito problems, could have saved me a rough 6 years.

Thanks.

It's rough to fight on all fronts - my primary says the muscle enzymes looked good so that is not a problem at this dosage. And so we research...

Did you end up with an endo?

My team of doctors was greatly reduced once I had a positive TTT and muscle biopsy for mito. Never have been to to see an endo, only see my PCP and geneticist now. Even the neuro that did my tilt didn't know much about POTS.

Are your docs at Strong Memorial/Univeristy of Rochester?

I take coq10 for pvc's and pac's. It helps to reduce them. I was getting skipped beats almost everyday and then I started 200mg of coq10 daily and they dramatically reduced. Now instead of getting them everyday I can go a few days or even weeks with none. I think this supplement is excellent to calm the cells in the heart down. I also take magnesium or slow-mag with it. I do not have any known heart problems other than Pvc's or Pacs and sinus tachycardia.