Dear Friends

i've tried rehab too and was so very excited to start it. i couldn't do the cardiac but did walking exercises, "swimming", riding my wheelchair (wheeling it myself) and muscle exercises (while flat on bed). i was able to build up walking from 40 secs with 10 secs per week (exercising 3 times a day) to 6 or 7 minutes (can't remember exactly). the wheeling my wheelchair wasn't succesful so i swapped my scooter for an electric wheelchair (which made me REALLY happy :lol: ) and "swimming" was floating around in the pool with floaters. as soon as i tried to swim using my legs i got bad pain on my chest and bradycardia which kept me in bed for some time. also, i fainted every thime my legs got down in the water, which was very scaring but made me very aware not EVER to get into a pool on my own.

all in all it was very much worth trying eventhough it didn't bring me what i had hoped for (and to be honest: i really thought i would do better), what i gained was lots more insight in how to live my dysautonomia life to the fullest.

knowing my limitations and dealing with them (and yes i do keep pushing myself), finding solutions for what i really want/need gave me lots more confidence and more peace with my (dysautonomia) self.

who ever has the possibility to join a rehab program: do give it a try it's very much worth it!!! i'm sure that i'll try again in a few years time (IF given the opportunity!), i'll NEVER give up!!!

glad it helped you to get where you are now ernie, wishing you lots of love and a bright future!!!

corina :)

just wanted to add that those who are interested in cardiac rehab should do a search, as there have been posts about this. I was in bad shape two years ago and was rxed rehab. At first I freaked everyone out, as my bp would plummet when I'd exert, leading everyone to suspect some serious heart disease. After getting cleared for that, I started rehab again. It was trial and error. I learned that I can't bike, without dropping my bp, but I can walk on an incline. The extra squeezing in my calves is key--something I don't get on the bike. If it's a bad day, I wear extra compression (40-50, plus a corset). My exercise tolerance and ans symptoms have really improved and I think rehab helped. (I also take florinef and wear a neck brace). For now (no jinxing!), the ans symptoms really only bother me around my period. I'm not normal, by any account, but stable and relatively functional. I know we are all different, with different underlying mechanisms, and it would sure be nice to see more published research on this. I had to teach the rehab people, as they'd never had anyone like me before with something other than plain vanilla heart disease.

Hi,

Thank you all for your nice comments and support.

I will keep you posted once in a while.

I am very busy because we are renovating the whole house to sell it and I still have 2 dancing classes per week.

Love