Bad Decison Lastnight

make sure you are hydrated and have salt and potassium. I have hyper pots and I do drink sometimes... it does make me feel better in the short term.... but getting dehydrated can be dangerous. I also will drink "emergency- vit- c packets"

I guess most potsies don't drink... I think if you are a fainter it is a bad idea... but i even have less of a headache if I drink. Just stay hydrated!

Hi Lissy,

We are all human and want to have a good time sometimes and a drink or two. My problem is that if I drink I will get a racing heart when I lie down which can go on all night. It is dreadful. Is that your experience - feel ok and then as soon as you lie down the trouble begins?

Food with a drink is sometimes possible with me, alcohol on an empty stomach or with a light meal like a salad is a disaster. I go on to have a very disturbed night full of adrenaline as my heart beats forcefully all night - that's why I rarely drink anymore.x

Sue

x

Thank u all for replies. The hr is elevated the morning after and it makes it hard because usually I can lay down and it goes down to 75-80 but after I drink it stays up 120 or higher even if I lay down for it lasts most of the day.

A few months ago I drank and smoked some (weed*) thinking it would some how calm my nervous system . Boy that night was so terrifying my heart was beating so hard I felt it through my whole body I told hubby to call 911 ,no matter what I did it would not slow down it took the ambulance 40 minutes to get here!!!!!!! At the ER they were all treating me like I was a junkie and taking nothing I said serious . My heart stayed at 150 for 6 hours I kept telling them to give me fluid !!!!! I told them my condition and they were clueless the doc wanted to give me something to slow my heart rate but I wouldn't allow him to because he didn't even know what dysautonomia was. They just wanted to draw my blood which I wouldn't allow them to cause I knew they would just make me weaker . Eventually the next shift came in I explained to that doctor what had happened and she just put an I.V in and said I was lucky I didn't have a heart attack keeping a high heart rate for all that time about 30 hour after them giving me the I.V heart rate was normal and I went home. I really thought I was gonna die and all the medical people around me were so incompetent that they should have been working at a circus or something...

Anyway I'm glad I survived and I should have known for that experience not to try drinking again

Lissy

I used to enjoy drinking alcohol a couple of times a week but hardly ever drink now. Alcohol is a diuretic so if you do have a drink you need to drink even more water to help compensate. For me I can balance a glass of wine with a pint of water.

Flop

Guest tearose

I trust that you are feeling all better by now.

Please do have a lot less of a drink next time you have one!

As for how to slow down an elevated heartrate? I would lie down. I think the alcohol just needs to work out of your body?

I made the same mistake when I first started having symptoms and didn't realize that a drink would be a problem. I never had an issue with having a mixed drink before, so when it suddently became a trigger for symptoms, I learned really fast that I didn't want that to happen ever again. I haven't had any type of alcohol for about 9 years. Periodically I think how nice it would be to just have a small 'fun' drink, as they did taste really good - but just not worth the scary effects that follow :blink:

Ive never had any issues with alcohol and POTS. If anything I think it helps me in moderation. But most folks say the opposite. Just goes to show how different / yet the same we are.

ive found that a few times when ive overdone things my heart rate was higher the next day but my dizziness was almost absent strangely.